Charcoal canister - strong gas smell - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-10-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
GA1984Cj7
1984 CJ7 

Charcoal canister - strong gas smell

Hi!
After last week getting my Jeep started for the first time in many years (Ran for less than 5 minutes). The garage had a strong gas smell for about three days. I have the full new walker exhaust system cat, muffler, pulse system installed.
I had upgraded my charcoal canister a long time ago that might of been hooked up wrong?
I shook the canister and didn’t hear anything. Should I replace it? Do they still make these that have the four ports and shaped round?
Lastly the carter carburetor (8384) hasn’t been rebuilt but I just found a carb company near by to rebuild it. thinking this could be the source as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-10-2019, 08:53 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello
i just had to pull my tank last week due to cracked hose. i would try and get a good look at the rubber hoses on the tank and frame. after running mine the feed line would drain a little gas on top of the tank. i also found my roll over valve was backwards. i did research before all this looking for a canister in case mine was bad. i did find that delorean parts in tx has one that is pretty much identical to the amc one. if not GM still offers the basic canister i have used in the past. there is only two large ports one in and one out. i would put a T fitting on the carb and tank line to the canister. then plumb in the vacuum actuate valve in the line to the engine.

oldschool
post #3 of 4 Old 11-11-2019, 02:52 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
If the hoses at the tank have never been replaced, it's worth replacing them. They would be almost 40 years old.

Make sure you use good hoses....for stuff like that I prefer NAPA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 11-11-2019, 03:51 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

i bought a roll of 1/4 and 5/16 25ft rolls on summit. they are made by dayco in the USA. it was the low pressure of 50psi which is perfect for this. each roll was little over 20 dollars a roll. i also replaced my sending unit since it was down because my gauge was all over the place. i figured i would use the extra hose for redoing the emissions in the engine compartment.

oldschool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in