Charcoal Canister Question - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Horatio

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-15-2021, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Khousema

Charcoal Canister Question

I am looking for recomendations. I recently bought a '74 CJ-5. The frame is in good shape, the body is above average for its age and I've already done electrical upgrades (GM 94 amp alternator and a complete rewiring). I am missing the charcoal canaster. I've read other posts about whether the canasters are worth having, and I think it makes the most sense to add it back. I have a single fuel line going back to the tank that should connect to the canister (the line is totally open). What should I look for as a replacement canaster? I've seen some that have two lines (GM with a tank line and a purge line). If I get one of those, is it just a matter of putting a vacuum tee on the PCV valve line? Will being hooked up all of the time without some kind of switch cause any problems? If I got a canister with three lines, what is the other line for? Does it hook to the ported vacuum switch to open when the engine is warm?

I should mention that this setup is far from original. Someone replaced the 258 with a 232. It has an EGR valve, but it isn't connected to anything. The ported vacuum switch has nothing connected to it either. The vacuum advance goes straight to the carburetor (so no manifold vacuum).

I want to keep it simple. This Jeep is a garage kept toy and is not my daily driver.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-17-2021, 08:40 PM
GarageMonkey

1984 CJ7 

I highly recommend having a canister. Before I replaced mine, the whole garage would smell like gas.

I replaced the original CJ7 canister with one from a junkyard YJ (much easier to find, cheaper, and easier to hook-up). There are three lines that you need to hook-up with this setup.
1) Fuel tank vent
2) Ported Vacuum signal to tell the canister when to empty
3) Manifold vacuum to empty the canister when the ported vac gives the signal

There are a few write-ups on both the YJ and the CJ canisters. Let me know if you can't find any and I'll make a diagram with my setup.

Bradley
1984 CJ7 (4.0, AX15, 31" tires, stock height)
post #3 of 11 Old 05-17-2021, 08:42 PM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

The 258 was optional in 1974 with a 1 bbl YF carb, which year is the engine?

In 1974 they came in with a lot more emisisons equipment including a closed tank, non vented cap and the fuel vapor storage canister.

This was a simple device. The incoming vent line had a metering device. Air was drawn through the canister by air rushing through the engine's air filter. There was a small filter inside the air filter housing and another at the base of the canister.

To make this work as in 1974 you needed a basic can connected to the air filter that will dilute and transport fuel vapor up into the carb. As it was an open system, this was a very mild air flow, just enough to encourage the fuel vapor into the engine.

You can put in later more complex systems or use a vented gas cap, like the rest of the world.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER

post #4 of 11 Old 05-17-2021, 08:47 PM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Garage
I purchased this new Charcoal Canister for my 79 CJ5 304 V8. Fit the bracket and works great.

I capped the Bowl Vent as the carb on my 304 does not have a Bowl Vent.

http://store.delorean.com/101109-carbon-canister.html

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-18-2021, 05:19 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Our 74 didn't have one either, but the two hard plastic tubes from the tank to the canister remained and i could smell gas fumes coming from them. When I tried to cap them both broke in several places. I took a short piece of fuel line and looped it from the enter/exit fittings on the gas tank. I could reach them without dropping the tank.

When I drove off without my gas cap I bought a new one which was vented. Didn't ask for one and the counter lady just handed me one saying that was what I needed.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #6 of 11 Old 05-18-2021, 07:29 PM
Horatio
1980 CJ7 

I did the same as hurricane4. The Delorean canister is basically the same except that the ports are reversed. You can't tell the difference between it and an original AMC version unless you know what you're looking for. Pretty cheap for a brand new unit too.
Hurricane4 likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-19-2021, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Khousema

Thank you for your recommendations. I really appreciate your advice. I am pretty mechanically competent, but I've never reallly tackled emissions stuff before (and this is my first time working on any AMC or Jeep). It sounds like I have options:

1 - I can go with a two port canister and hook directly into the nipple on the underside of the air cleaner (so no vacuum signal needed). It looks like that is what the Jeep had stock in '74. I am.not entirely sure that will eliminate the gasoline smell.

2 - I can go with a three port canaster with the purge going to the manifold vacuum, and the vacuum switch line going to the ported vacuum switch. This might make more sense as the purge will only happen when the engine is warm.

3 - I can go with a four port canaster and cap the port that goes to the float bowl (and set it up like option 2)

I wondering which of these are the least performance robbing solutions. I'm certainly not trying to make a racecar out if my Jeep, but I certainly don't want it to be a dog either... I am also concerned that option 1 may still give off a gasoline smell.

Final thoughts???
post #8 of 11 Old 05-19-2021, 10:49 AM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Garage
He is how my Charcoal (EVAP) Canister is connected on my '79 CJ5 304 V8:

Note: My 304 has an Edelbrock 2131 Dual-Plane Intake & Edelbrock 1901 AVS2 500cfm Carb - No Bowl Vent.

1.) Canister Port Labeled Carb Bowl - Capped

2) Canister Port Labeled Fuel Tank - To Line Going To Fuel Tank

3.) Canister Port Labeled PCV - To PCV Valve with extra port for this connection - PCV to Manifold Vacuum - Link Below

4.) Canister Port Labeled Purge - To Two-Port CTO Switch - Link Below - Other Port on CTO Switch To Ported Vacuum

Your exact connections may be different due to different year & engine. Good luck with it!

PCV Info:
Standard Motor Products V211 - Standard Motor PCV Valves

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-v211

Two-Port Ported Vacuum Switch Info:
Standard Motor Products PVS12 - Standard Motor Ported Vacuum Switches
(Opens and closes the vacuum signal path with changes in coolant temperature.)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-pvs12

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

post #9 of 11 Old 05-19-2021, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Khousema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane4 View Post
He is how my Charcoal (EVAP) Canister is connected on my '79 CJ5 304 V8:

Note: My 304 has an Edelbrock 2131 Dual-Plane Intake & Edelbrock 1901 AVS2 500cfm Carb - No Bowl Vent.

1.) Canister Port Labeled Carb Bowl - Capped

2) Canister Port Labeled Fuel Tank - To Line Going To Fuel Tank

3.) Canister Port Labeled PCV - To PCV Valve with extra port for this connection - PCV to Manifold Vacuum - Link Below

4.) Canister Port Labeled Purge - To Two-Port CTO Switch - Link Below - Other Port on CTO Switch To Ported Vacuum

Your exact connections may be different due to different year & engine. Good luck with it!

PCV Info:
Standard Motor Products V211 - Standard Motor PCV Valves

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-v211

Two-Port Ported Vacuum Switch Info:
Standard Motor Products PVS12 - Standard Motor Ported Vacuum Switches
(Opens and closes the vacuum signal path with changes in coolant temperature.)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/smp-pvs12

Yea, that sounds a lot like where I am leaning... Thanks for the links!
post #10 of 11 Old 05-19-2021, 01:12 PM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Since your CJ5 is an '81 model with the 258 cu in 6 cylinder I recommend you look closely at the parts
you purchase. Make certain the PCV and other items are correct for your year, make, model & engine.

Winston Churchill

post #11 of 11 Old 05-19-2021, 01:39 PM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

OP - I am looking for recomendations. I recently bought a '74 CJ-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane4 View Post
Since your CJ5 is an '81 model with the 258 cu in 6 cylinder I recommend you look closely at the parts
you purchase. Make certain the PCV and other items are correct for your year, make, model & engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in