Carter BBD Choke Adjustment - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-18-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Cj Carter BBD Choke Adjustment

Folks, my Carter 2bbl BBD carb is not idling down after warm up. I am guessing the colder weather we are having may have something to do with it? Otherwise, it runs fine!

So, I need to adjust the electric choke so that it drops the idle down after I pump the pedal; after about 1 minute. My question is: which direction do I turn it? Is it counter clock-wise or clock-wise? Again, Jeep starts fine, goes up to 1250-1400 rpm while warming up and then I usually give it a pedal pump to drop the idle to 800 rpm. It is not doing this. It is staying on the high idle side way too long. I literally have to take the pedal to the metal a few times to get a reaction or open the hood and manually adjust the idle notch. I just want to give it a very light adjustment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-18-2019, 09:27 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

The choke heater coil cap should be marked with a + and - turn more to the - side for a quicker warmup high idle pulloff.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 7 Old 12-19-2019, 04:47 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

also make sure the linkage is clean. do not oil or grease anything on the linkage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 7 Old 12-19-2019, 08:43 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Also make sure the choke is getting power when the engine is running.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old 12-19-2019, 11:00 AM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post

Matt
This....

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-19-2019, 11:40 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post

Matt
And grounded!

The clamping ring around the Choke housing can get rusty causing a bad ground connection for the heater.

There is a metal strip on the choke housing that makes contact with the clamping ring that needs good electrical connection.

bbd-echoke-housing-grouns.jpg

A good test is if you put your volt meter on either of those two rivets in the red square and see 12 volts, it's not grounded.

Clean up both the ring and the metal strips.

Also if you have to remove the ring, There might be a couple of rivets that can be pulled out and self tapping screws put in.

If you are not getting 12 volts to the chousing check your BU fuse first. then check you oil pressure switch.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #7 of 7 Old 12-20-2019, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
1985 CJ7 

Ok guys, got it adjusted and all cleaned up. (Carb/choke) It was difficult to loosen those 3 screws on the choke because of the tight fit. Also, the throttle plate was open more then I expected it to be so that was adjusted. It starts right up and idled down after about a minute and a half. PERFECT! So on the high side 1250-1300 rpm, at idle; 800 rpm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in