Cars and Coffee - JeepForum.com
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 06-13-2020, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Alabamacj71981

Cars and Coffee

So, I got my CJ7 running after 14 months of sweat, money, and wrenching. I took it to a place where I was invited to coffee and cars. This was a fascinating experience for me as a CJ owner.

What I came to find was a bunch of Jeeps huddled together. There were JLs, new Gladiators, and JKs. I was the only old Jeep. No YJs or TJs. My CJ is no show car but dang it, she is a CJ7 people.

In the end, no one cared about my CJ. I’m not offended but a little surprised. Who doesn’t love that CJ smiling at you? I spent the whole time having each of them tell me about their buying (dealership) experience. Hell, they talked about Jeeps that they left a home before they asked even what year my Jeep was. They told me about all their add-ons. “This side step is Poison Spider,” they told me. “These tires have bead locks on the inside as well,” they explained. They didn’t love Jeeps. They don’t love the history and heritage. They loved their modifications. Huh?! This came as complete shock.

That really surprised me because I am a Jeep guy. I love all Jeeps. I can get excited about a CJ2A or even a XJ. But these people didn’t care. I expected them to compare the difference between mine and theirs that they might have an appreciation for where 40 years of R&D took the Jeep Wrangler. I expected them to look at dimension differences and think about how that impacts the driving experience.

Don’t get me wrong, my feelings aren’t hurt. I’m just wondering if I should be waving at the four door Jeeps. Maybe if they wave first...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 06-13-2020, 04:43 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

What you encountered was Jeep posers. If they they didn't know the history of Civilian Jeeps, and appreciate it, find another crowd to hang with. I routinely have people approach me who appreciate a CJ, and know its history.

Interesting side story. I have an opportunity to buy an all original 1976 Corvette coupe with 30K original miles. it's a true barn find. I was shocked to learn that my old CJ was worth more than that Vette is. Something to think about.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 48 Old 06-13-2020, 05:12 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Thats the hello kitty jeep club, were they discussing waxes, maybe the heated seat option, or the reopening of the mall.
Always ask a jeep owner whats your reason, hunting, fishing, camping, dunes, rock crawl, Snow, mud, now it seams cruising more likely...

Did you see those chrome antenna streamers, how about those LED's,
Kanjeep likes this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 48 Old 06-13-2020, 05:27 PM
GR-CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
What you encountered was Jeep posers. If they they didn't know the history of Civilian Jeeps, and appreciate it, find another crowd to hang with. I routinely have people approach me who appreciate a CJ, and know its history.

Interesting side story. I have an opportunity to buy an all original 1976 Corvette coupe with 30K original miles. it's a true barn find. I was shocked to learn that my old CJ was worth more than that Vette is. Something to think about.

Matt
Hey, newish here, and not to interrupt the jeep talk... just an FYI. Not to sour you, or be negative. The ‘76 is the least desirable year. Last year of the original Stingray, but it has steel floors, the only year they had that, and were prone to rusting out. Along with sub frame problems. Not to mention the heads, not very favourable years of corvette. It’s also the worst generation for front end lifting and floating, aerodynamics. I bought one about 30 years ago cheap ($2,100, a lot to me then) when I was young and foolish, it was a real real ‘gem’. But, it was a corvette... We beat that thing to death. Edit: I have a couple since then - they were treated with a little more respect.

I agree with alabamaCJ. Funny how people are. Seem to be more interested in the touch screen functions.

I just missed on an early 70’s CJ last week. A guy posted an add, it was sold that afternoon before I could get to it. All original except the rims, he didn’t know the year, I think it was a 73, but I’m not a CJ expert (that’s why I’m here to learn). He brought it up from Nashville into Canada over 10 years ago and parked it, never seen a winter or salt. He was asking $900 cdn. Running and driving...perfect frame and body.
post #5 of 48 Old 06-13-2020, 05:42 PM
DV915

1976 CJ7 

Excellent post!

I know exactly what your talking about, what bothers me is this perception that if you don’t have a giant lift and 37 inch tires your Jeep isn’t trail capable. I’m asked all the time why I don’t install bigger tires? (31’s)
Because I don’t need them!
turbogus, Agent915 and jtec like this.
post #6 of 48 Old 06-13-2020, 06:13 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

The jeep legend, Africa, Pacific, Europe, even the Aleutian's, mud, snow, sand, mountains, how much lift was needed.
turbogus and DV915 like this.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #7 of 48 Old 06-13-2020, 06:57 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Add some undercarrige accent lights and they'll love you

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #8 of 48 Old 06-14-2020, 06:49 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

The commonality all Jeeps share is the iconic grill. Now folks are covering JK grills with overlays that resemble shark's mouth. I asked one last night if it was a new model Dodge Nitro. Hell he didn't even know what that was.

I went to Cars and Coffee yesterday--the first we've had in several months and first warm weather one since October. There were the most cars I've ever seen, but only two Jeeps and this is one. It started as a CJ8.
Attached Thumbnails
frankenjeep.jpg  

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #9 of 48 Old 06-14-2020, 08:08 AM
braindamage

1978 CJ5 

Garage
My son says that the new Jeep owners just want an SUV but want people to think they are adventurous.
John Strenk likes this.
post #10 of 48 Old 06-14-2020, 09:03 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm going to take a little different angle/ run at this one:

Yes, I have a 'new' Jeep JKU, but it's Jeep #16 that I have owned, going all the way back to a CJ2A, so I do have a bit of perspective, and am definitely not a 'newbie' in the game.

That said;

Generally, the group of people you meet in New(er) Jeeps at a car show (and yes, cars and coffee is a car show- nothing wrong with that) are not 'Jeep people' (yet). They may be build enthusiasts, off road enthusiasts, hard core enthusiasts, or even new model Jeep enthusiast, but they just aren't 'Jeep people'.

New Jeep owners who are 'Jeep people' won't be at a car show on a Saturday morning. They'll be packing up their Jeep for a day in the mountains or a trip to the beach. They'll be putting their bikes in the bike racks, the canoes on the roof racks, loading their kids and dogs and coolers and gear into the back and heading out into the world. THAT, or they'll be loading stuff like pier blocks or flower baskets for their spouses at home depot, or piling their kids, kids friends, and all the soccer gear to go for a tournament.

Point being, there are many, MANY new Jeep owners (including a lot of us on this forum and in this section) who are Jeep people who would love to look at and talk about any Jeep , new or old, stock or modified, all day long, but you won't necessarily bump into us at a car show.(at least not in our new Jeep )

And one final personal comment regarding the Jeep wave (and literally everything else in the world, seemingly); if you aren't willing to teach the next generation, how do you expected them to learn

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #11 of 48 Old 06-14-2020, 09:44 AM
dolsoncj7
1981 CJ8 

My wife and I talk about FCA should be going after the people that do the Angry Bird grill and fine them for copyright violations. It's seven slots, FFS. Then we holler "Respect your elders" when we don't get the wave from JK/JL/JT owners

Here in the Wilmington NC area, there's a decent contingency of CJs and YJs, so group outings are a little more diverse.

1981 CJ8 Scrambler
1985 CJ7 Renegade
post #12 of 48 Old 06-14-2020, 10:07 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Some of them are sleeping in because they had too many dog beers Friday night. I belong to a local Jeep club that has a cruise in the same night that we have our Coffee and Cars so I only have to wash the beast once a month.

Last night we had our first one of the year. Most folks are newer Jeep owners and many drive the four door ones. A year or so ago I saw one with a hand decal on the driver side mirror. I asked the young lady why and she said that when I waved at her I couldn't see her wave back so that is her way of waving. Now I always wave at the Jeeps with the dark windows and occasionally I will see hand come up over the windshield when the driver has the top folded back.

They are often curious about an old CJ5 which last night was once more the oldest Jeep there. There are older ones around but some folks are afraid to drive/enjoy them. At least the folks with the newer Jeeps enjoy them.
JoonHoss likes this.

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #13 of 48 Old 06-15-2020, 12:34 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Jeep has just appointed a new importer for Malaysia. I called by just to see how much a new Wrangler Sahara 4 door was (2 litre I4 turbo) and it was a pleasant US$75k.

I was wearing a custom T shirt of my 1951 Willys CJ3A, just a picture.

I spoke to a charming young lady assistant sales. Yeah, I thought, time to raz you as a newb.

"Hey" I said, "that logo on the dash is Jeep shaped like my shirt".

"Yes", She said, "it is a Willys MB shape but yours is a CJ3A, that windshield is a giveaway."

if only I was 30 years younger I would have whisked her away.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #14 of 48 Old 06-15-2020, 03:55 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
I never did like going to car shows. People sitting around talking about their cars...boring. I went to a Goodguys show in CA Back in the early 2000’s once, and it was full of fiberglass 32 Fords with custom paint & interiors, and 99% had a SBC engine...boring. I’d much rather spend the day at the drag strip, waiting for the next round of eliminations. As far as my Jeep goes, I’ll be taking it off road, using it in 4WD long before it will be at a car show. But, that’s just me...I like to beat on my junk, that means I build it right and run it hard, with the goal to put it in the winners circle as often as possible.
Jim1611 likes this.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #15 of 48 Old 06-16-2020, 05:54 PM
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Don't think we have a Cars & Coffee around here, but I have met up with the largest Jeep club I know of in the Memphis area. Some of them are big off-roader types, but the rest seem to be joy-riders or mall crawlers.
There's not a rock anywhere around here but there is plenty of mud, which is probably why snorkels have gotten to be the latest must-have for the mall set.
The first time I went they were at a big burger joint eating dinner and having beers, and the guys with the big wheels were out in the parking lot taking pictures of each other driving their big Jeep up on the tire of the other big Jeep.
Out of the maybe 100 people there, I think maybe 10 came over to look at my CJ, which was the only older Jeep there (including square-headlight YJs).
I thought maybe I'd caught them on a bad day, so I went back a few months later but it was the same deal. Haven't been back and sadly don't want to.

"Let all the laws be clear, uniform and precise:
To interpret laws is almost always to corrupt them."

~ Voltaire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in