Carb & Ignition upgrade... 76 CJ5 - JeepForum.com
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 11-23-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
gfrench
1976 CJ5 

Question Carb & Ignition upgrade... 76 CJ5

Hello- I need some good advice/recommendations on my 1976 CJ5 restoration project as I begin to close in on things.

This jeep is pretty much bone stock and runs pretty good! Would like to upgrade the Carburetor and get a cleaner/better ignition put in it.

Let me clarify- this is not a performance build and will not see any crazy wall climbing activity- just looking for a moderate reliable priced set up that will take things to the next level.

Thanks in advance for thoughts on what I should be looking at so I can start to plan things out.

Thanks!

1976 CJ5

Frame Off Restoration underway!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 11-23-2018, 11:42 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

You'll be limited on carb choices with your single barrel intake. If you upgrade to a 2-barrel intake, I'd recommend a Weber 38 carb.

As for ignitions, I prefer a CDI system (like MSD) with separate components for module, coil, and distributor. Others like the simplicity of a all-in-one HEI system. Truth is, you probably won't notice a bit of difference between the two.

Good luck,

Matt
uptillnow likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 51 Old 11-23-2018, 05:12 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

If you're happy with the current performance, the pre stepper carter you have on there now is hard to beat. If you are looking at increasing performance, either the Webber or the 2100 are a big increase in power without any crazy installations (other than an intake). For a modest increase in cost over that setup, you can look at a 4BBL intake and a Holley 390.

As to the ignition, I prefer the simplicity of the HEI. Another option is the petronix. Either will simplify your wiring.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

post #4 of 51 Old 11-25-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
gfrench
1976 CJ5 

Thanks Gents for the information and idea's here... very helpful

1976 CJ5

post #5 of 51 Old 11-26-2018, 12:14 AM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

Hard to see exactly what your current ignition is clearly, but is it points?

I tried the Petronix ignitor on my CJ3A and I have to say I was impressed. It took about 20 minutes to fit, wiring was easy, I have retained the stock distributor and coil and leads etc and it now runs like it should, without the need to fiddle with points. Cost about $65.

You could change to a later Motorcraft style distributor, with a seperate ignition module and coil. Even put on the later larger cap and rotor. This is a good setup on the I6, it allows a choice of modules and coils from stock to very hot, single spark to CDI, all manner of coils etc.. Or an HEI whizz bang. However the Petronix is simple and efficient.

BagusJeep lives in Bali with far too many 4x4s:
1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
1980 Land Rover Series III 109" troop carrier - ROVER
post #6 of 51 Old 11-27-2018, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
gfrench
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post

I tried the Petronix ignitor on my CJ3A and I have to say I was impressed. It took about 20 minutes to fit, wiring was easy, I have retained the stock distributor and coil and leads etc and it now runs like it should, without the need to fiddle with points. Cost about $65.

You could change to a later Motorcraft style distributor, with a seperate ignition module and coil. Even put on the later larger cap and rotor. This is a good setup on the I6, it allows a choice of modules and coils from stock to very hot, single spark to CDI, all manner of coils etc.. Or an HEI whizz bang. However the Petronix is simple and efficient.

Thank you for your input here.... I am leaning towards a HEI set up just for the simplicity and cleaning things up... I will continue to explore the other ideas as well.

1976 CJ5

post #7 of 51 Old 11-27-2018, 04:33 PM
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post

It's Prestolite, which points would be an upgrade over.

HEI is probably the best choice for ease and bang for the buck.
post #8 of 51 Old 11-28-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
gfrench
1976 CJ5 

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
It's Prestolite, which points would be an upgrade over.

HEI is probably the best choice for ease and bang for the buck.

Thanks CSP- was not sure what I truly had here... liking the HEI more and more.

What is a good HEI setup I should be looking at?

1976 CJ5

post #9 of 51 Old 11-28-2018, 12:38 PM
uptillnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfrench View Post

Let me clarify- this is not a performance build and will not see any crazy wall climbing activity- just looking for a moderate reliable priced set up that will take things to the next level.

Thanks in advance for thoughts on what I should be looking at so I can start to plan things out.

Thanks!
gfrench,

There are many many HEI's on the market, from the "total Chinese economy" to the DUI unit. CRT has one for $99.00, I'm not sure if it comes with wires or not for that price. Many people use them with success.

Matt suggested (#2) getting a later model two barrel manifold that used the original Carter BBD, then upgrading it to the Weber K551-38. Rebuilding your carburetor might suffice for a very stock running vehicle. Although, going to the Weber and HEI would bring you into the 21rst century.

This may not be appropriate, although I am selling this combination on e-bay. Not suggesting you buy it, although you may want to read about what you "would" be doing, specifically the HEI information.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CJ-YJ-...yN3Q:rk:8:pf:0

Let us know
UTN
post #10 of 51 Old 11-29-2018, 09:42 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

I would like to see Redline offer that kit with the adapter for the factory air cleaner instead of the supplied air cleaner.

Matt
John Strenk likes this.

post #11 of 51 Old 11-30-2018, 05:45 PM
uptillnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I would like to see Redline offer that kit with the adapter for the factory air cleaner instead of the supplied air cleaner.

Matt
I looked on the intranet and found Carb's Unlimited sells the K551-S conversion replacing the chrome rectangular air filter using the adapter and bolts included. I called them and they (are partial to the 32/36-DGEV) claimed it doesn't fit the 38-DGES.
So I asked REDLINE and they say they just swap out the rectangular air filter and install the 99010.600 air filter adapter in their conversion K551-38-S.

I'm not sure why Carb's Unlimited said it wouldn't fit on the 38-DGES. (???) I have used this A/F adapter 5-6 times with slight filing on the adapter. Works great lasts a long time.

UTN
Matt1981CJ7 likes this.
post #12 of 51 Old 11-30-2018, 06:01 PM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Sounds like Redline needs to put a little tighter leash on their retailers.

It pains me every time I see that crappy little chrome rectangular air filter, because I know that a superior factory air cleaner was probably thrown in the trash.

Matt

post #13 of 51 Old 11-30-2018, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
gfrench
1976 CJ5 

So this adapter just fits over the top of the new Carb and then can just attach my stock air cleaner right?

John Strenk and uptillnow like this.

1976 CJ5

post #14 of 51 Old 12-01-2018, 07:40 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Yes.

Matt

post #15 of 51 Old 12-01-2018, 08:09 AM
Geek
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfrench View Post
So this adapter just fits over the top of the new Carb and then can just attach my stock air cleaner right?

That's it and it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Weber Adapter.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in