Can someone explain this price? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 64 Old 05-20-2019, 04:26 PM
MetalMountainGoat
1985 CJ7 

One key word is mention multiple times in this ad "car". No one selling a CJ, YJ, TJ, or JK, is going to call it a "car" when they post it on Craigslist for sale.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 Old 05-20-2019, 09:37 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
The dude responded to my questions....

"What gears do you have in the axles?
Which transmission and transfer case?
What kind of shifter is in it?
Stock rearend? Solid or 2-piece?
Does it come with the original hard doors?"

And this is what he responded with....

Here is the info that I have. I don’t know the exact details because A-1 Speed & Custom did all the work on the entire vehicle.

8.8 custom rear w/ posi & brakes
Dana 44 custom with brakes

Complete original Transmission overhaul, and converter and shaft.. transfer case new bearings, gears and yokes. Custom drive shafts, with slip yokes/bolts.

B&M shifter

Hard doors do not come with the Jeep. Hard top is available.

All questions can be answered if you see the Jeep in person...Must See Jeep!

Adam

I looked up the address in Stafford, VA. The dude lives in a pretty big house in the country. I'm guessing the typical 'let someone else do the work' and just writes a check. I'm betting this was his kids jeep and the kid pi$$ed him off and he is selling it.

I want to say something like...

"I was a bit confused, you say in your add it's a 5sp...but, it's obvious from the pics you have an auto. What transmission and transfer case does it have? What bolts behind that 'Edlebrock' V8 was not 'original' to the jeep. The engine looks like a Ford 302, so which transmission does it have? And I'm doubting it has the original D300 transfer case. With those 35" tires, really need to know what gears it has."

Help me respond. Need to put him on the hot seat. He may have put $50K into it....but the work done is not worth $50k.....he got hosed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 64 Old 05-20-2019, 10:41 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I do not think that is a 302. I think the basic Ford 302 is basically the same as my 5.0 Mustang EFI motor. The distributor seems to be at much more of an angle than what the 5.0 motor has. The 5.0 motors have the distributor almost vertical. I think that is a AMC motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post

Here is the info that I have. I don’t know the exact details because A-1 Speed & Custom did all the work on the entire vehicle.

Complete original Transmission overhaul, and converter and shaft.. transfer case new bearings, gears and yokes. Custom drive shafts, with slip yokes/bolts.

B&M shifter

Adam

I looked up the address in Stafford, VA. The dude lives in a pretty big house in the country. I'm guessing the typical 'let someone else do the work' and just writes a check. I'm betting this was his kids jeep and the kid pi$$ed him off and he is selling it.

"I was a bit confused, you say in your add it's a 5sp...but, it's obvious from the pics you have an auto. What transmission and transfer case does it have? What bolts behind that 'Edlebrock' V8 was not 'original' to the jeep. The engine looks like a Ford 302, so which transmission does it have? And I'm doubting it has the original D300 transfer case. With those 35" tires, really need to know what gears it has."

Help me respond. Need to put him on the hot seat. He may have put $50K into it....but the work done is not worth $50k.....he got hosed.

post #34 of 64 Old 05-20-2019, 10:58 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post
I do not think that is a 302. I think the basic Ford 302 is basically the same as my 5.0 Mustang EFI motor. The distributor seems to be at much more of an angle than what the 5.0 motor has. The 5.0 motors have the distributor almost vertical. I think that is a AMC motor.
Dude....your right.

Those darned 'Edlebrock' engines.......or, more like an AMC360

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 64 Old 05-20-2019, 11:28 PM
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
Why is there a mirror on the glove box door? Hmmmm.......
Mirror Moguls?
post #36 of 64 Old 05-21-2019, 12:25 AM
IMMORTEN

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Can someone explain this price?

Quote:

B&M shifter

Adam

I find his email to be quite oddly positioned, almost like he is holding back information, which I find a bit unusual given that he is trying to sell something that has had a lot of custom work done to it...as the custom work would be the main selling point of this Jeep.

He email is basically:
Intro:
“Here’s what I know because someone else did all the work for me”

Body:
“States a very general list of things”

Conclusion
“If you come see the Jeep in person I can answer everything”

I can understand if he doesn’t want to negotiate price or accept offers over emails, and only in person, I would feel the same way. But if you are asking top dollar for something you are trying to sell, them at least share why it’s worth what you claim it’s worth....people want to know this! ..there’s nothing unusual about people asking for more details.

You can’t tell me that he theoretically paid a shop $50.000 to “build” his Jeep for him, and he only has a very basic and general idea about what was done to it.

As some of you have already said, even from what he has listed so far, I don’t see anything that would bring the value of that Jeep up to $50000, unless this shop charges an insane hourly rate and they outsourced most of the custom work too, maybe that would bring his bill up to $50000

Edit:

But as I said in my post earlier, I see this kind of thing over here all the time.....people who are completely delusional about what their stuff is worth and think they can get insane and astronomical amounts for their old and used stuff (especially if it’s “custom” what they are trying to sell). And it’s not just in the automotive world either.

Just for the sake of fun; have a look at what people they can get for:

- their old hunting rifle (especially if they owned it from new)
- what people think their old Apple computer / iPhone is worth
- just have a look at the used tools section....no where particular, just have a general look around
- like above; have a look at what people think their used cameras / video cameras are worth
- Even used camera equipment
- Used drones or 3D printers

Get ready to have a laugh at what people think their old and well used stuff is worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #37 of 64 Old 05-21-2019, 05:56 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

This line gives all the information.....
Quote:
He didn't build the vehicle.

He didn't purchase the vehicle (would have paid a like sum and would have known what was under the sheet metal).

My guess would be he either took the rig in on trade (for a 2nd house, pool,new roof, etc) or is selling it for someone else.

You could call A-1 speed and dig for more info, including who owned it.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #38 of 64 Old 05-21-2019, 06:26 AM
IMMORTEN

1998 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post

You could call A-1 speed and dig for more info, including who owned it.

No reputable shop is going to share their customers information to a random stranger who just calls up...

...at least over here they can get in serious legal trouble if they do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #39 of 64 Old 05-21-2019, 12:26 PM
aillon

1985 CJ7 

Garage
What a terrible thing to do to a CJ7
trailhead2004 and underscore like this.

1985 CJ7
post #40 of 64 Old 05-21-2019, 12:55 PM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aillon View Post
What a terrible thing to do to a CJ7
And sadly, it won't be the last one this happens to.

"Johnny Cash, The Jeep in Black" Build Thread - Started 7 July, 2018

"Bad things happen to you because you're a dumba$$"
Red Foreman
post #41 of 64 Old 05-21-2019, 01:20 PM
walkerhoundvm

1981 CJ8 

Quote:
"I was a bit confused, you say in your add it's a 5sp...but, it's obvious from the pics you have an auto. What transmission and transfer case does it have?
I wonder if by 5spd they mean PRNDL? Also - why does the ad say "Call Tim" and "Adam" responded to you?

And what dips*%t would call an overland capable jeep a garage queen?

I maintain my opinion this is a scam.
post #42 of 64 Old 05-21-2019, 01:32 PM
Jeep-N-0311
1984 CJ7 

Lists "Transmission as "Manual", definitely "Auto" pedals & shifter .. but the king is...

"Car is in immaculate condition. It's always been a garage queen serviced and inspected frequently. See the car for yourself,"

"Garage queen" ... "Car" (Yeah "Edelbrock engine" too ...)

Have to believe that he bought this (how could he have built it, and know so little about vehicles, and JEEP's), now his wife's kicking his butt for wasting so many $$$
post #43 of 64 Old 05-21-2019, 05:38 PM
civilJeep79
1979 CJ7 

I would rather have my 79, make him an offer!
for that money he needs to ship it to you or drive it to you and give you a full tank of gas and a 6 month trial period.
But it will be a good buy for someone.
post #44 of 64 Old 05-21-2019, 07:35 PM
aillon

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Here is another "50k CJ7 Jeep". Funny because the highest selling original CJ7 Laredo went for 30K about a year ago. I think it had about 8k miles on it.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ct...893237466.html

1985 CJ7
post #45 of 64 Old 05-21-2019, 07:51 PM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

If I were rich enough to have dumped $50k into a $2k "car" I'd really be happy. This seller/owner obviously has no idea what he has, went down the accessories catalog and ordered one of everything and has no idea what it is or does...has a hard top available for it? Does this moron have any idea with the garbage he has on top of it, that hard top ain't going on there. I don't see $50k anywhere near that thing and with all that crap on top, sides, and back of it, all it says to me is over-paid under-worked mid-life crisis person who built a cute little mall crawler...err had someone else build a show-off to friends at the bar car. Not worth $50k, maybe $5k.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in