Bumperette mounting holes donít align to rear crossmember, which holes are correct? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By keith460
  • 3 Post By JEEPFELLER

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-08-2021, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
sampsonrustic

1986 CJ7 

Bumperette mounting holes donít align to rear crossmember, which holes are correct?

Picked up oem bumperettes and the holes donít align to my rear cross member. It would take some pretty serious force to get them to fit (and then the mountain panel would not be flat)m to the crossmember) and they seem to be correctly shaped.

Are there different bumperettes for different years? The seller listed as 76-95

The holes look close but they are not, at least 1 inch off horizontally each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-08-2021, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
sampsonrustic

1986 CJ7 

post #3 of 15 Old 04-08-2021, 12:28 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

That's because those Bumperettes are for the Jeep YJ , 87-95, and not the CJ.

Jeep CJ shown:
img_6091.jpgimg_6092.jpgimg_6097.jpg

Your missing the iconic boot scraper from the loop.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #4 of 15 Old 04-08-2021, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
sampsonrustic

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
That's because those Bumperettes are for the Jeep YJ , 87-95, and not the CJ.

Jeep CJ shown:
Attachment 3977987Attachment 3977989Attachment 3977991

Your missing the iconic boot scraper from the loop.
Darn! I knew when I found them it was too easy... I thought mine were CJ7 because they do have a "lip" on one side, but obviously that's not the same as the boot scraper on the CJ version. May just have to drill out the cross-member and live with these....

Thanks for the info and the photos Keith.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-08-2021, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
sampsonrustic

1986 CJ7 

Do these seem to be the correct style? It seems the only ones that look like yours are listed for earlier CJ models.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Willys-....c101195.m1851
post #6 of 15 Old 04-08-2021, 04:06 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Don't know if they are the same bolt pattern as the Jeep CJ's.

There's a forum member on here who I sold a pair of Jeep YJ Bumperettes to, that fit the CJ bolt pattern on the rear cross member. I drilled new holes so they would fit both the CJ and YJ hole patterns. I'll see if I can locate that thread or photos I had....

....I gave them to MikeyDeezy here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/r.../#post40501235

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #7 of 15 Old 04-08-2021, 05:55 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Bolt one side

Pull the other till the bolts line up.

I don't think an inch would distort them.

Wah-Lah! Bumperettes!

Only a few fellers might notice the "fitment" and what they should fit.

When they switched to Hummers, They wanted me to have a set of M-151 Bumperettes from the Jeeps (1964-1986?), I hauled them around for many years.

I decided to use them on my CJ2A, mock up of a WWII MB.

In my "Mocking" I had to do a lot to get my spare to the rear, a fuel can, use the Bumperettes (which look much like yours, both without the "Tang")....And still be able to use the tailgate (non-existent in WWII)---AND....Tuck things in tight and tried to hide structure that shouldn't be there.

Well-----I welded them puppies on----they're happy with their home!---I'm happy!-----Speaking for the rest of you---Y'all are happy!

It's whatever makes you happy!

----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
100_6676 TAG (2).jpg   100_6682.jpg   100_6708.jpg  
post #8 of 15 Old 04-08-2021, 06:46 PM
STJP
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Many older Jeep models also have the "flange" on one edge. Keith's comment that they are a "boot scraper" is as good a guess as anyone's. The debate is whether the flange is pointed up or down. Jeep attached them with the flange down in later models. Older models tend to show them pointed up. You may find interesting the original purpose shown in the picture which was to prevent jack-knifing when towing.

I am not aware of any source for new flanged bumperettes. Correct OEM bumperettes for 1976-86 CJs are not hard to find used. Ebay often has them, part-outs on Craigslist, J W Jeep, Collins Bros and many others will have the correct part you need. Like all OEM CJ parts these are getting higher in price, but I suggest you will be happier than making an incorrect YJ part fit.

Cheers,

JS
Attached Thumbnails
scan0001.jpg   c138_B_USMC79354.jpg   1986_cj7_laredo_042.jpg  
Attached Images

post #9 of 15 Old 04-08-2021, 08:08 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by STJP View Post
Many older Jeep models also have the "flange" on one edge. Keith's comment that they are a "boot scraper" is as good a guess as anyone's. The debate is whether the flange is pointed up or down. Jeep attached them with the flange down in later models. Older models tend to show them pointed up.

That's always a debate and my take on it is AMC/Jeep mounted the flange facing downward for liability reasons.

Mounting it downward, it becomes offset from the rear cross member horizontal lines and looks to be mounted upside down at the bolted area.

img_6094.jpg
img_6099.jpg

Just my opinion but I like how the military required it to be mounted and will be doing the same.
STJP likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #10 of 15 Old 04-09-2021, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
sampsonrustic

1986 CJ7 

thanks for the info all. I will probably look around for a correct pair.

My concern is that most of the bumperettes that look like mine, are labeled for cj7. But most of the ones that look like Keith's, are labeled for earlier CJ models. Hard to tell which ones will have the right hold sizes. But at least now I knwo what I'm looking for.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-09-2021, 09:46 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

If you have no use for the ones you have and you do not have to have it 100% period correct, you could weld (or have someone weld) and grind smooth a little extension on each side of the flange and drill new bolt holes in the correct location. You can also weld up the existing holes at the same time. It is really easy (use a copper plate to back up the hole and fill it in). The hardest part might be finding a piece of metal that is the same gauge (thickness) as the bumperette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampsonrustic View Post
thanks for the info all. I will probably look around for a correct pair.

My concern is that most of the bumperettes that look like mine, are labeled for cj7. But most of the ones that look like Keith's, are labeled for earlier CJ models. Hard to tell which ones will have the right hold sizes. But at least now I knwo what I'm looking for.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-09-2021, 12:14 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Here's a little more of what I have experienced.

PIC 1 and 2

PIC 1) Dodge Command Car (furthest) ----entered being about the same time as Jeeps 1940 (The Jeep here is a really early model)

PIC 2) -back of the Command Car---Bumperettes

PIC 3) same early early Jeep---sorta flat with the ends bent in on 45s---attached to another metal piece

Pic 4) MB or GPW WWII

Pic 5) M-38 Flipped Korean War

Pic 6) friends M-38

Pic 7) early M-151--has same configuration as the '50s M-38

Pic 8) M-151 Same deal

I did notice while in the ARMY that the M-151s bumperettes also were load bearing and supported the weight of the Fuel Can and also the spare tire

Other Jeeps throughout history had nothing riding on top of the bumperettes that I have seen.

During my search in my pics and on the net, I never came across the style that were on the Ranger Battalion Jeeps (like I put on mine in post 7--same flat silhouette when flipped)

----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
TRIPLE TREE FLY-IN 006.jpg   TRIPLE TREE FLY-IN 033.jpg   TRIPLE TREE FLY-IN 028.jpg   100_6438.jpg   TRIPLE TREE FLY-IN 020.jpg  

VETERANS DAY PARADE 001.jpg   100_6469.jpg  
Attached Images

post #13 of 15 Old 04-10-2021, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
sampsonrustic

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
Here's a little more of what I have experienced.

PIC 1 and 2

PIC 1) Dodge Command Car (furthest) ----entered being about the same time as Jeeps 1940 (The Jeep here is a really early model)

PIC 2) -back of the Command Car---Bumperettes

PIC 3) same early early Jeep---sorta flat with the ends bent in on 45s---attached to another metal piece

Pic 4) MB or GPW WWII

Pic 5) M-38 Flipped Korean War

Pic 6) friends M-38

Pic 7) early M-151--has same configuration as the '50s M-38

Pic 8) M-151 Same deal

I did notice while in the ARMY that the M-151s bumperettes also were load bearing and supported the weight of the Fuel Can and also the spare tire

Other Jeeps throughout history had nothing riding on top of the bumperettes that I have seen.

During my search in my pics and on the net, I never came across the style that were on the Ranger Battalion Jeeps (like I put on mine in post 7--same flat silhouette when flipped)

----JEEPFELLER

Jeepfeller that is an amazing post right there! I wonít lie, thereís definitely something special about those earlier military jeeps! Really nice shots and good info too on the bumperettes. Thanks.

post #14 of 15 Old 04-10-2021, 01:56 PM
weapon
1983 CJ7 

I have seen them fit. Just loosely mount the 2 inner bolts and then pull the bumperette into alignment for the outer. Snug all 4 and you should be good to go until you find actual CJ versions.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-10-2021, 07:35 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
A few more of the 1940 "Test Model"

Airplane fly in/ camp out---Military Vehicles---"This event/ Place is known as "Triple Tree" in Enoree, SC---Other events during 'normal' years, including the largest R/C airplane event. I think this was 1995.

----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
TRIPLE TREE FLY-IN 007.jpg   TRIPLE TREE FLY-IN 031.jpg   TRIPLE TREE FLY-IN 032.jpg   TRIPLE TREE FLY-IN 068.jpg   TRIPLE TREE FLY-IN 069.jpg  

TRIPLE TREE FLY-IN 018.jpg   TRIPLE TREE FLY-IN 017.jpg   TRIPLE TREE FLY-IN 025.jpg   TRIPLE TREE FLY-IN 064.jpg   100_6451.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in