Bumper brands for 77 CJ7 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-13-2020, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
treythompson

Bumper brands for 77 CJ7

I’m wanting to add aftermarket bumpers to my CJ7 that include a receiver hitch on the front and rear bumpers along with a winch mount. Any recommendations on brands? I’m not a fan of the ultra stubby but other than that I’m all ears. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-14-2020, 09:03 PM
thundercles

1979 CJ7 

Garage
Check out Dirtworx or Rockhard4x4 bumpers. They both have good options with receiver hitches and winch mounts. Or make it fun and draw up what you want and take it to a local fabricator.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-15-2020, 12:01 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

What other requirements do you have? Spare wheel mount/ jerry cans? Tow points? Jacking points? Weight? Towing ability of the hitch (Class)?

And what are you going to be using the rig for?

You can weld a front receiver hitch to just about any bumper or have them added to your frame, which will be stronger. etrailer.com has some good cheap designs that will fit a lot of applications.

This leaves you with a wide range of excellent bumpers, front hitches being rare as stock fit. A lot are also sold separate from the winch mounts, which bolt directly to the frame rather than the bumper.

You can also choose between steel and aluminium. For a daily driver the lighter aluminium will be ideal, though more costly. For a trail rig the steel might be better as its extra weight is countered by the ability to beat it straight and weld on it more easily.

I like ARB but currently you can only get a rear bumper to fit (Wragler YJ, a few minor mods...)

I like the Smittybilt 76740D SMI Classic Front Bumper with D-Ring Mounts for 76-06 Jeep CJ, Wrangler YJ, TJ & Unlimited plus their winch mount. Looks classy but may be too short for you.

WARN 61859 Front Rock Bumper for 76-86 Jeep CJ plus winch mount is another classy piece.

If you want to go more offroad the Warrior Products 57051 Front Rock Crawler Bumper with Brush Guard & D-Ring Mounts for 76-06 Jeep has more protection for your front end.

If you go to a local fabricator with your own design I suggest you copy the principles you see in these great brands. Do not add weight unneccesarily to your rig.

If you are thinking of a high Class for towing I would discourage you, the short wheelbase and short overhangs of a CJ7 make it a poor tow vehicle.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE

post #4 of 7 Old 07-15-2020, 07:35 AM
caseypotts

1980 CJ7 

I would check with both LoD and Dirtworx. I have used both and they are great products.

I still have a LoD front bumper on mine, took out a deer with it last year, with no damage done to the bumper. Fender not so much...

2in receiver, light mount tabs and shackle hangers welded through.

I used a Warn winch plate to mount my Warn Winch without issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Front.jpg   Front with winch.jpg  
post #5 of 7 Old 07-15-2020, 07:44 AM
caseypotts

1980 CJ7 

I also used a LoD rear bumper at first. Great product, shackle hangers welded through, 2in receiver and frame tie in (sold separate).

I ended up selling it because I wanted the weight of my spare off my body and onto the frame. Later I wished I hadn't sold it so that I could have put it onto my M416 trailer...but that is another story.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear 2.jpg   Rear.jpg  
post #6 of 7 Old 07-15-2020, 07:50 AM
caseypotts

1980 CJ7 

I ended up going with a Dirtwox Rear swing out carrier, 2in receiver, shackle hangers welded through and later had Robert, the owner make a basket as well. Robert is very easy to work with and I was able to tweak the order a little bit with no issues. I have no issues singing his praises.
Attached Thumbnails
Dirt 1.jpg   Dirt.jpg  
post #7 of 7 Old 07-15-2020, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
treythompson

Thanks

Thanks Gents - I was completely unaware of LOD and Dirtworx and they definitely have the options I'm looking for. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in