• 2 Post By CSP
  • 1 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-19-2021, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Beninct

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Brake line source

Can someone post a link to a decent set of flex brake lines that will work with my 85 CJ7? Stock drums in back and I need the flex lines at each rear wheel and the center hose that comes down to the diff from the frame.

I will make my own steel lines along the axles.

Please/Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-19-2021, 05:29 AM
ADDZ71
1979 CJ7 

There are no flex lines at each rear wheel. There is only a flex line running from the cross member to the axle. If memory serves me correctly it is just on the right side of the differential to a junction which splits and runs to each side. Everything from the junction to wheel cylinder is a hard line.
OrangeCJ-5 and Beninct like this.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-19-2021, 09:00 AM
Nor Cal CJ5

1972 CJ5 

I was sent a wrong center rear flex line new and will send it to you for shipping. If you PM me the part number you are looking for, I will verify what I have with you. Pretty sure it’s a line made for your Jeep.

1972 CJ5 304 V8, 3 speed manual trans

post #4 of 11 Old 05-19-2021, 10:15 AM
Nor Cal CJ5

1972 CJ5 

The rear center brake line I have is a OMIX 16733.02 Part number. Part number for a 1985 CJ7 is 16733.03. The funny thing about any description about brake lines on any online site is that they never includes the important info like the connection sizes, only the years that it will work. I have found that you need to measure and verify fitting sizes and hose lengths, etc.

This hose has the same 3/8" size female connection at the 3 connection points, and the hose is 17-3/4" long. The axle attachment thru hole is 3/8" also.
Beninct likes this.

post #5 of 11 Old 05-19-2021, 01:11 PM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

I would wager that they don’t tell you that because it is based off of what was originally in the vehicle. Who knows what has been done to a vehicle that is 36 years old? My preference is to stick with Wagner and Bendix for brake parts. I definitely wouldn’t have chosen Omix.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-19-2021, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Beninct

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDZ71 View Post
There are no flex lines at each rear wheel. There is only a flex line running from the cross member to the axle. If memory serves me correctly it is just on the right side of the differential to a junction which splits and runs to each side. Everything from the junction to wheel cylinder is a hard line.
Yes not sure what I was thinking (just lifted my 07 JK so prob had that on my mind!). Thx
post #7 of 11 Old 05-19-2021, 03:06 PM
Nor Cal CJ5

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
I would wager that they don’t tell you that because it is based off of what was originally in the vehicle. Who knows what has been done to a vehicle that is 36 years old? My preference is to stick with Wagner and Bendix for brake parts. I definitely wouldn’t have chosen Omix.
I wouldn't have chosen OMIX either, but try finding a water pump for a 1972 304 (the right shorter one and not OMIX either), or many, many other parts. Every sales person will tell you "oh yeah, it will fit", then won't take returns or it isn't worth sending back. The 1972 Jeep was a one and done year for lots of parts and nobody makes parts for one and done 50 years later. So sometimes it's good to find something that will work - even if it is OMIX. I really only look for stock parts.

I did find front brake hoses OMIX and they work fine - similar quality to originals. But I understand your point.

Forget about an OMIX upper steering shaft bearing, it's like buying a wedding ring out of a gumball machine.

post #8 of 11 Old 05-19-2021, 04:36 PM
CSP

Google Crown stainless brake lines. They make great lines and it is not the same Crown company that makes POS Jeep parts.

This assumes you have a lifted CJ and need a longer line. If not, get a replacement from a local parts store. This isn't a specialty part if it is still on the stock suspension.
John Strenk and OrangeCJ-5 like this.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-20-2021, 03:14 PM
87MJTim

1987 MJ Comanche 

search www.inlinetube.com

Tim

87 Comanche, 4.0, AX15 (formerly BA10/5), D44
84 CJ7, 4.0 (93 XJ) AX15 (Formerly T5)
post #10 of 11 Old 05-22-2021, 06:43 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Google Crown stainless brake lines. They make great lines and it is not the same Crown company that makes POS Jeep parts.

This assumes you have a lifted CJ and need a longer line. If not, get a replacement from a local parts store. This isn't a specialty part if it is still on the stock suspension.
I put on a set of Goodridge Braided SS brake lines and the difference between old rubber flex line and these are remarkable.

If I ever need to replace them I'll look at Crown.
Beninct likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #11 of 11 Old 05-23-2021, 07:06 PM
CSP

Those Goodridge are nice lines too. I forgot about that brand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in