Brake job questions... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-03-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
eyedoc
1959 CJ5 

Brake job questions...

Ok, so I got all of my shoes replaced along with Springs and wheel cylinders and aside from the location of the parking brake being a complete mystery, it went swell (well, the assembly, that is...I still have to have the drums turned and adjust the shoes with their weird eccentric bolts).

Now, I'm going to switch to a dual reservoir master cylinder and I've never attempted such a thing. With that steering assembly directly on top of it, is there a better always to access it? Do I take all of the floor panels off? I know there's a small access port under the brake, but I can't image that 4" circle being adequate to do the job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1959 Willy's CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-04-2017, 07:22 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

Hi eye, the parking brake is the big round drum mounted on the back of the transfer case its not located on the wheels (at least on my 56 it is)..
As for removing the master cylinder. on my 56 you have to unscrew the bolts holding it to the frame and pull them out just enough to clear the frame then pull the master straight down. haven't done a duel but its not stock for my 56 cj5 and I'm keeping it stock as its been in my family since early 60's.
take care
tim
EDIT EDIT
the hole in the floor is just for adding fluid.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-04-2017, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
eyedoc
1959 CJ5 

Thanks. The MC is the only thing I'm changing because the dual reservoir is supposed to be markedly safer than a single.

I don't know if that's functionally true, but sounded good on paper and since I was replacing all of the shoes, Springs and wheel cylinders, I figured I would just go ahead. Mostly because I never have and love wrenching.

These old jeeps are a mystery to me, but without all of the circuitry and computer modules, it's a mystery you can actually solve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1959 Willy's CJ5

post #4 of 4 Old 09-04-2017, 06:00 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Easiest solution:
http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/brake...-cylinder-kits

“You're short on ears and long on mouth.”

John Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in