Brake booster interference with Clifford dual Weber setup - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 Old 05-12-2021, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
gwistrup

Here are some pictures of what I have now.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1415.jpg   IMG_1416.jpg   IMG_1417.jpg   IMG_1418.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 05-12-2021, 10:30 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

That looks like so much fun.

Did you call Clifford?
Did they supply any spacers? That note was just under the 258 / 4.2 section. I don't think it was jeep specific but everything else I think is wider than a Jeep.

Looks like you might have enough room to turn them 180 degrees. Since they are center hung floats, that won't make a difference which wrong way you mount it...
It probably won't matter in a Cj but I had a car that had a Weber on it and it was great in a straight line or making a right turn. But pull some G's in a left turn and the fuel would run to one side of the bowl and keep the float valve closed... Finally had to put some baffles in the bowl to make it work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #18 of 24 Old 05-13-2021, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
gwistrup

I have talked to Larry several times and he has been helpful with the setup to make it run right but not as helpful to make them fit. He did supply more spacers with the carbs and manifold but they won't do any good. Height is not the problem. Width is the problem. He did say that if there was a stalling problem around turns, you should install an electric fuel pump. I believe that I have found a 7" dual diaphragm brake booster that I can mount directly to the firewall. I am going to measure it again and order one with the brake pedal kit. I would prefer to leave the carbs as they are if I can. That way I won't have to change any of the hoses and other hookups.

post #19 of 24 Old 06-18-2021, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
gwistrup

I figured I would post how I resolved my carburetor interference problem. Thanks to everyone for all of their input. I didn't really want to change the carb orientation and throttle cable if I didn't have to. I moved the brake pedal pin that connects the brake pedal to the booster linkage assembly from the right side of the brake pedal to the left side. Moving the pin allowed me to use the original linkage from Jeep and it gave me over an inch of clearance between the rear carb and the dual diaphragm booster that I used to replace the stock 9" Jeep unit. I drilled some new holes to the left in the firewall to mount the linkage and booster and elongated the hole for the linkage rod to go through. Now the booster is moved to the left but the pedals stay in the original location.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1448.jpg   IMG_1449.jpg   IMG_1451.jpg   IMG_1452.jpg   IMG_1453.jpg  

post #20 of 24 Old 06-18-2021, 08:59 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Looks great!!!

Thank for reporting back.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #21 of 24 Old 06-19-2021, 06:30 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Are you still able to install/use the left grill support rod coming off the firewall?
Seems like the MC would interfere with the rod since you shifted the MC to the left for clearance of the Weber's.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #22 of 24 Old 06-19-2021, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
gwistrup

Yes I can. I had to move the rod at the firewall from the bottom of the bracket to the top of it to gain enough clearance to remove the top of the master cylinder. There is about 1/4" between the support rod and the master cylinder clip. That is enough room to remove the top.
post #23 of 24 Old 06-19-2021, 07:38 AM
Matt1981CJ7

1981 CJ7 

Nice work on finding a solution to your problem.

This is the first time I've seen the dual Weber setup on a 258.

I'm curious, what performance gains do you expect with your new engine configuration?

Matt

post #24 of 24 Old 06-21-2021, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
gwistrup

I'm building this Jeep for a client who owned it since high school and it had been sitting for 20 years. He originally wanted to put a small block Chevy in it but I convinced him to modify the 6 cylinder because it is less common. I think the 6 cylinder is "cooler" because everyone puts Chevy V8s in them. Clifford Performance has been around forever and I figured they would be a good source for information and parts. I followed Larry's advice on everything I did to modify the engine. He said the combination I used should double the HP and torque. I used an Isky 270 cam, milled .060" off the head and installed the Clifford dual Weber intake and header kit. Part of the reason for the dual Weber carburetor setup is for the visual appearance. It looks cool and it sounds really neat because I made an exhaust system including the 6 into 2 header that goes into an X pipe and then into a Flowmaster dual inlet/single outlet muffler. The tubing before the muffler is 2 1/4" and the tailpipe is 2 1/2". The Jeep isn't registered yet so I have only driven it up and down my street a few times. It seems significantly stronger that it was in stock form but it needs a thorough road test to really see how it performs. The owner is really pleased with how it looks under the hood and how the engine sounds so I have checked off 2 out of 3 boxes of his requirements. If what Larry at Clifford told me is true, it should be equivalent to a stock small block Chevy. I guess that is why they advertise "6=8".
John Strenk likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in