Borg Warner T-18a Sticks in reverse - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 07-09-2020, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Borg Warner T-18a Sticks in reverse

A while back I found a good deal on a T-18 mated to a dana 20 by way of a Novak adapter. Everything checked out and it shifted fine. I put it in my '78 to replace the T-150/d20 combo.

Every now and again when I go to shift into reverse, the shifter stick will go to the reverse position and get stuck but the transmission will remain in neutral. Seems to happen at the most inopportune time but each time I can just take the shift stick out and easily align the reverse gate back to neutral with a long screwdriver. So I've been running around with the shift boot off and a long handle screwdriver laying in the floor for a few months now.

I've read this could be caused by a worn shifter stick finger? It shifts in all other gears and seems to happen more often when going from 2nd to reverse as opposed to 1st(granny) to reverse

Attached pictures of the shifter stick

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1503.jpg   IMG_1990.jpg   IMG_1991.jpg   IMG_1993.jpg   IMG_1995.jpg  

IMG_1997.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-09-2020, 02:04 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Well that part doesn't look to worn, You can still see some of the machining lines on it.

What do the gates in the tranny look like?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 23 Old 07-09-2020, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Well that part doesn't look to worn, You can still see some of the machining lines on it.

What do the gates in the tranny look like?
Here's how the gates look after getting the stick in the stuck position.
img_2017.jpg
img_2018.jpg
At this point the stick looks as if it's in reverse. Won't budge from there. Can't get it any further toward reverse and it won't come up to center neutral.

After removing the stick I'm able to move the gates. fully into reverse and back to neutral.
img_2019.jpg
img_2021.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2020.jpg   IMG_2022.jpg  

post #4 of 23 Old 07-09-2020, 05:57 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I wonder how squared off those corners should be on the gates.
There might be enough room for the shifter to move into the neutral position before reverse is all the way in position
Attached Thumbnails
4E69711E-8C9A-4792-A88B-DA65384172CF.jpg  

post #5 of 23 Old 07-09-2020, 09:30 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

There are 2 different lengths for the finger that is below the ball. You may have the wrong one and it is causing a bind or not pushing the gates far enough.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/.../t18-t19-parts

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #6 of 23 Old 07-10-2020, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Might be on to something there. I have the shorter of the two length shift stick fingers (3.125")

The top cover is casting: 13-01-097-907
Case is casting: 13-01-065-907
Attached Thumbnails
Z83Ii.jpg   IMG_1491.jpg   IMG_1493.jpg  

post #7 of 23 Old 07-12-2020, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
I've searched all over the internet and can't find any info pertaining to the shifter cane finger length as to which one I would need. I guess I will put a call into novak and see if they know.

post #8 of 23 Old 07-13-2020, 11:04 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello
what i found at novak it looks like the measurement is from the bottom of the large ball to the end of the cane. have you tried measuring from the bottom of the 3rd/4th rods groove to the bottom of the socket in the cover? or take the cover completely off and put in the shifter and see how far the finger sticks into the shifting rods. while in neutral it should be sitting well into the groove in the rods in the transmission. my bet is if you have the 3.125 you probably need the one that is 3.500.

oldschool
cjoffroad likes this.
post #9 of 23 Old 07-14-2020, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
I measured from the top of the ball socket down to the 3/4 gate and came up with 3-15/16". subtracted the ball socket thickness which measures 5/8" thick. Difference of .3125". So my finger being 3.125" leaves it 3/16" short of bottoming out in the 3rd/4th gate.

I called Novak and explained what I had going on and they asked that I measure as oldschool suggested above. Having already took the measurements and at the ready they want me to try the 3.5" finger. So I've got one on the way.
John Strenk and Fourtrail like this.

post #10 of 23 Old 07-21-2020, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Received the new shifter cane from Novak and unfortunately it is too long. So I'll be sending it back. I guess it's time to pop off the top cover and see what's going on.

post #11 of 23 Old 07-21-2020, 03:38 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Darn, hoped it was going to be something simple. How tight is the pin in the slot of the shifter? Still good spring tension when you screw the top seal/cover down? Link below talks about squaring back up the slot in the shifter and going to an oversized pin to clean up shifter slop.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nsmission.html
RedNeckCorvette likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #12 of 23 Old 07-21-2020, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Darn, hoped it was going to be something simple. How tight is the pin in the slot of the shifter? Still good spring tension when you screw the top seal/cover down? Link below talks about squaring back up the slot in the shifter and going to an oversized pin to clean up shifter slop.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nsmission.html
Yeah, I was hoping for the same.

Surprisingly, there is hardly any slop in the shifter. The groove in the stick is smooth and the pin is tight. I've seen a lot worse in my researching of this problem but thankfully mine is still tight.

I'll get the top cover off and see what I can see. I've read where the reverse lockout springs break and can be the culprit of hard shifting. When i depress my reverse lockout button with the screw driver it doesn't exactly have any springiness to it.

Found a pretty good manual online.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Borg-Warner T18 tranny.pdf (1.44 MB, 6 views)

post #13 of 23 Old 07-22-2020, 08:05 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

sorry to hear that the stick wasnt the problem. figured novak would have had measurements for the cover also. if taking the cover off are you just going to get the small parts kit to rebuild the cover? i know its sold separate from the transmission overhaul and alot of people dont overhaul a shifter when they do the transmission.
i googled what you said about the reverse plunger and pics of a good one showed the cavity for reverse gate filled with the plunger.
oldschool
post #14 of 23 Old 07-22-2020, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello

sorry to hear that the stick wasnt the problem. figured novak would have had measurements for the cover also. if taking the cover off are you just going to get the small parts kit to rebuild the cover? i know its sold separate from the transmission overhaul and alot of people dont overhaul a shifter when they do the transmission.
i googled what you said about the reverse plunger and pics of a good one showed the cavity for reverse gate filled with the plunger.
oldschool
Yes, in fact I have ordered a small parts kit for the top cover rebuild. I also found a good write up post on the rebuild over at fordification.

http://www.fordification.com/forum/v...44203&start=30

Has some good pictures and he also shows the difference in top covers and the need for two length shifter canes in that post as well.

Attached pics of the reverse plunger and yes it looks as if mine is lacking
Attached Images

post #15 of 23 Old 07-22-2020, 12:52 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah, That certainly is not moving out as far

cjoffroad likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in