Body mount nut and cage access - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 05-03-2021, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
STJP
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Body mount nut and cage access

There has been lots of good discussion regarding removing body mount bolts and replacing the rubber mounts. I am interested in how the following might be approached or if anyone has dealt with a similar situation.

So I am ready to remove the body. My body is in really good condition (rust only under front roll bar mounts), but when using a standard ratchet (no breaker bar etc) several of my body mount bolts are spinning. I assume the nut cages have rusted and can no longer "hold" the captive nut. To remove the body I will need to cut the bolts. When I take this necessary step, I will have spinning bolts in the captive cage of the body.

It would seem to me that for several of these enclosed locations a permanent access could be made inside the body that would not weaken the mount area of the body and provide access to the captive nut and its cage/housing. Possibly this would allow the captive nut assembly to be replaced and then kept rust free with an occasional spray of cavity wax etc.

Lastly would not want this to be a hack job. Has anyone accessed body bolt nuts in this way?

JS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-03-2021, 06:05 PM
LowcountryTJ

1986 CJ7 

Captive Nut/ Body Mount

I had tried to remove my body mount bolts with an air gun...most captive nuts spun in their cages...had I used penetrating oil and a breaker bar I might have been more successful...

I ended up using a reciprocating saw to cut out off the body bolts.

@ The rear most body mount, I cut out a side of the cages with a 3" metal disc to expose the captive nuts. Then I used a flat pry bar as leverage and was able to remove the body bolt and captive nut.

After replacing the body mounts I was able to re thread the captive nuts and reinstalled with the aid of the flat pry bar.

@ Some of the other cages, I had to cut out a slit to gain access, and replaced the captive nuts with std nuts/thick fender washers (with a wrench to hold the std nut in place), or re used the captive nuts with the pry bar method.

@ the front body mount under the grill, I had welded a piece of 12ga steel over the rusted out hole in the frame and re drilled the correct size hole for the body bolt.

Hope this helps...
post #3 of 18 Old 05-03-2021, 06:29 PM
CJWoodman

1983 CJ8 

Garage
Here is a look at what is under there. This is the best pic I could find.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210419_151811037.jpg  

Big Ugly cJ8 build in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeep Air

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 Old 05-03-2021, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
STJP
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJWoodman View Post
Here is a look at what is under there. This is the best pic I could find.
Thank you CJWoodman,

It is good to see the support under the roll bar. I will of course gain access there since my floor must be repaired there as well.

JS
post #5 of 18 Old 05-03-2021, 09:14 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Heres a thought. Before you go and cut the bolts off, which will create the next problem, what about drilling a 1/4" hole thru the side of the support about a 1/2" off of center of the bolt. Then take a steel rod or stout screwdriver and stick it thru to block the captured nut from rotating, and put your breaker bar on the bolt. If their rusted bad they still may snap but if not you may get lucky.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

post #6 of 18 Old 05-03-2021, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
STJP
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowcountryTJ View Post
I had tried to remove my body mount bolts with an air gun...most captive nuts spun in their cages...had I used penetrating oil and a breaker bar I might have been more successful...

I ended up using a reciprocating saw to cut out off the body bolts.

@ The rear most body mount, I cut out a side of the cages with a 3" metal disc to expose the captive nuts. Then I used a flat pry bar as leverage and was able to remove the body bolt and captive nut.

After replacing the body mounts I was able to re thread the captive nuts and reinstalled with the aid of the flat pry bar.

@ Some of the other cages, I had to cut out a slit to gain access, and replaced the captive nuts with std nuts/thick fender washers (with a wrench to hold the std nut in place), or re used the captive nuts with the pry bar method.

@ the front body mount under the grill, I had welded a piece of 12ga steel over the rusted out hole in the frame and re drilled the correct size hole for the body bolt.

Hope this helps...
Low Country, It does help. I will have to do much the same. I hope to find a away to expand on what you have accomplished. It is good to know how I can get access. After you cut to gain access did you then weld it all back? Have you had any issues?

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

JS
post #7 of 18 Old 05-03-2021, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
STJP
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Heres a thought. Before you go and cut the bolts off, which will create the next problem, what about drilling a 1/4" hole thru the side of the support about a 1/2" off of center of the bolt. Then take a steel rod or stout screwdriver and stick it thru to block the captured nut from rotating, and put your breaker bar on the bolt. If their rusted bad they still may snap but if not you may get lucky.
Thanks Renegade,

IA good idea to get the bolts out. Not sure how all would work when I wanted to install new bolts. I was hoping to be able to clean up and repair or replace the cage nuts.

JS
post #8 of 18 Old 05-03-2021, 10:01 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Well one thing is you could then drill straight above it into the floor to let you know the exact location for an access of some type, like a 1" plastic plug. Then you could use a washer and a hex nut. I replaced / rebuilt several during my restomod with my tub off. If you tell me which ones are giving you issues I may have a pic to show you how I repaired mine.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

post #9 of 18 Old 05-03-2021, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
STJP
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Thank you, as I progress I just may take you up om that.

JS
post #10 of 18 Old 05-04-2021, 05:18 AM
LowcountryTJ

1986 CJ7 

Captive Nut/ Body Mount

JS,

I replaced all 4 floor pans (Key Parts). That process enabled me to access those areas under them.

@ The rear passenger area I welded a nut to the captive nut (sans cage assembly) and used a combo wrench to hold in place while tightening.

@ The rear most mount area I reused the captive nut (again sans the cage assembly) and left the area opened.

/Users/douglassmenzies/Desktop/Front Pass.jpeg

/Users/douglassmenzies/Desktop/IMG_7922.jpeg

Thats all I could find in my photo file...
post #11 of 18 Old 05-04-2021, 05:22 AM
LowcountryTJ

1986 CJ7 

Captive Nut/ Body Mount

JS,

I replaced all 4 floor pans (Key Parts). That process enabled me to access those areas under them.

@ The rear passenger area I welded a nut to the captive nut (sans cage assembly) and used a combo wrench to hold in place while tightening.

@ The rear most mount area I reused the captive nut (again sans the cage assembly) and left the area opened.

/Users/douglassmenzies/Desktop/IMG_7922.jpeg

Thats all I could find in my photo file...
post #12 of 18 Old 05-04-2021, 05:36 AM
LowcountryTJ

1986 CJ7 

captive Nut/ Body Mount

Maybe I have the photos this time...
Attached Thumbnails
Front Mount Repair b.jpg   Front Pass.jpg   Rear Pass.jpg   IMG_7922.jpg  
post #13 of 18 Old 05-04-2021, 06:02 PM
CJWoodman

1983 CJ8 

Garage
I was cutting the front floor pan out today for more rust repair and took these photos for you to get a better look at the captive should you decide to try Renegades suggestion of drilling a hole and pinning. This captive is under the passenger seat. Hope this helps If you have access to a welder you may have to cut from the top then repair the captive and weld back a patch? If you decide to go deeper I to am using the Key parts floor pans, they make good stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210504_161421987.jpg   IMG_20210504_161416159.jpg  

Big Ugly cJ8 build in progress

Jeep Air

post #14 of 18 Old 05-04-2021, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
STJP
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

CJWoodman and LowcountryTJ,

These pictures really help to let me know what I have in front of me and some ideas as to how I will approach.

I'm thinking at this point that where necessary I will need to cut to access and repair/replace nut/cage as needed then weld it up. I like the idea of having a permanent smaller hole to give access to the nut and to keep free of rust with Fluid Film or 3M cavity wax.

Thanks again for taking time to send pictures and ideas. You too Renegade.

Cheers,

JS
Renegade82 and CJWoodman like this.
post #15 of 18 Old 05-04-2021, 11:33 PM
Chiss

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Look @ my Tub Repairs in my Album you will see My Repairs.........If it will Help

Difficult to See, The Dark Side is................

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in