Bluetooth car amp - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-05-2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

Bluetooth car amp

Hi all, I would like to put an amp into my jeep to power my speakers and be able to stream music from my iphone directly to the amp. I dont want a head unit, simply because I dont want to hack my dash, or buy a 300$repro at this time.

My question is, where can I find an amp that has bluetooth capability to connect directly to my phone? whats the best kind for the money?

Id prefer to have a small one, so I can mount it behind the dash, or in the glove box.

Anyone done this? Got any links for parts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-05-2013, 05:39 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I'm interested in this also...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 16 Old 12-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

How many watts and channels are you looking for?

post #4 of 16 Old 12-05-2013, 05:58 PM
MikeHoncho88

2015 JK Wrangler 

I like this one. 25w x2 channels might be a little weak in an open air jeep. depends on how you set up the speakers I guess.

Kicker 40PXIBT50.2

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_206PXIB...PXIBT50-2.html
post #5 of 16 Old 12-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Mr_Ranger
2010 JK Wrangler 

That's 25w RMS into a 2 ohm load, meaning you can run a pair of 4 ohm speakers in parallel on each channel and have 4 speakers doing 12.5 w RMS each.

Just saw the price. Personally, I'd find another solution.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-05-2013, 08:34 PM
gwolff
1978 CJ7 

Garage
Look at the RF pbr300x4. Built an ice chest cooler out of an igloo cube with some cheap amazon 6x9's and sounds unbelievable. Doing the same in my cj. It's small and uses little power. (Maybe jeep hammer can give us info on the "Boosted rail technology")
Also bought the home spot Bluetooth recievers off amazon that comes with RCA plugs and USB power cord. I just used a 12 volt USB charger for the receiver. The amp is rated at 75w/channel but the birth sheet lists 83.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-05-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

Not really sure how much power I need. Im not to interested in thumping down the road. I basically wanna install 2 speakers in the stock holes, and be able to hear them cruising around town. I have the stock speakers in there now, with a 1980s stereo. While I can hear it, the sound isnt very clear.

I just want some clear sound, while driving on the country roads. This is not a highway vehicle by any long shot haha.

Plus the receiver in the dash seems very far away, I feel like im gonna crash every time I try to change it while driving down the road.

I looked at the RFpbr330*4, but dont really want to have to spend 250$ then buy a bluetooth receiver. Id rather have it all in one,if something like that exists.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-05-2013, 09:11 PM
gwolff
1978 CJ7 

Garage
They're one bill at amazon warehouse. Smaller and better quality than any other amp.
Alpine also makes a smaller amp but I haven't used it. Use any small amp with RCA inputs and plug into the Bluetooth receiver ($20).
post #9 of 16 Old 12-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I know you want it all in one unit, but I don't know of any amps with built in Bluetooth that are worth a damn. The Kicker unit listed above is nice but as stated, not much power (although you don't need much to power those little dash speakers... you're probably not going to be able to hear them any better than you do now). That may be the best option for what you have requested.

You might also consider adding some 6x9s behind the seat somewhere and look at this;
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMRMP3A-...=Pyle+PLMRMP3A

& add a separate Bluetooth receiver;
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Bluetoo...Hands-Free+Kit

If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and buy a blue tooth capable head unit with a decent power rating (there are some that will do 50+ watt per channel without a separate amp for under $200). Cutting the dash isn't really that big a deal, or you could put it in a center console/glovebox if you prefer).
post #10 of 16 Old 12-06-2013, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
tdagner
1980 CJ5 

Cutting the dash isnt gonna happen. I am eventually going to build me a console, just havent gotten around to it yet. When I do, I will put the head unit in there. IM just wanting this to get by until then. I figured if I get the amp and the bluetooth now, I can hook it up to my head unit when I get one down the road.

Of course, I woul like some more speakers in the jeep, but they didnt leave much room for me to add them in. I have a Cj5. its kinda tight in there as is.

I really like that pyle one you listed. Its priced well and waterproof. dont really like the bluetooth setup, especially since I dont have a cigarette lighter. Plus that makes no sense to me. Its bluetooth, but has those wires running around. That seems to kind of defeat the point.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Manhattan

1981 CJ8 

I'm with ya...
- I have NO interest in cutting the dash
- I don't listen to "radio" (as in local FM)
- I don't listen to CD, tapes, 8-Tracks...
- I pretty much only listen to Pandora, iTunes and iTunes Radio, Spotify, etc.

Here's what I bought...
- Alpine 4-channel amp; MRV-F300
- 2 Rockford Fosgate 5.25" round speakers; R1525
- A Milennia MIL BTREC BlueTooth adapter.

The BlueTooth adapter plugs into the Input of the amp and hides along with the amp. The amp will be buried under the dash. There will be no visible stereo accessories. I doubt the 5.25" speakers in dash will attract much attention. When I get in the Jeep, the iPhone will pair with the system.

NOTE: I have all these components (still) sitting on my desk. One of these days, I'll actually install them.

1981 CJ8, Chevy 5.7, SM465, D300, RE 4.5, 35" BFG MTs, 20/30 4.56, Detroits, Warn 9500ti
post #12 of 16 Old 12-06-2013, 12:52 PM
gwolff
1978 CJ7 

Garage
Definitely use the dongle Manhattan recommended. It can be hardwired to your liking. I used sound wedges in the back and am going to build a small centerpod in front of the shifter like some of the aftermarket ones. I've got a new dash without the speaker cutouts and don't want them.
I'm staying away from a head unit in the console for heat and I don't want to wire it. Small amp and dongle under the dash is nice and clean.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-06-2013, 01:48 PM
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagner View Post
I really like that pyle one you listed. Its priced well and waterproof. dont really like the bluetooth setup, especially since I dont have a cigarette lighter. Plus that makes no sense to me. Its bluetooth, but has those wires running around. That seems to kind of defeat the point.
You can wire up the Bluetooth dongle however you want (the cigarette lighter is just for convenience... you can cut that off and wire directly to the fuse block if thats what you prefer).

How do you intend to power the iPhone without a cigarette lighter (battery power only lasts so long, and Bluetooth has a reputation for using a lot of juice)?
post #14 of 16 Old 12-06-2013, 01:50 PM
lsukevinc
1979 CJ5 

i know you would like bluetooth, but you can wire you phone straight to an amp. A friend and i built an icechest radio for when we are fishing. We mounted the amp, battery, and speakers inside of the ice chest. We bought a cable that had headphone jacks on one side and rca connections on the other end. All we do is plug the phone straight into the amp and play whatever we want that way. the phone can control the volume or the gain on the amp. You could mount the amp in your console and do something similar for cheap.
post #15 of 16 Old 12-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Manhattan

1981 CJ8 

What wires? The BlueTooth dongle, once installed, is invisible. It plugs into the amp and gets powered. Period. The amp is hidden. The dongle is hanging adjacent to the amp - also hidden. When you get in the CJ, it "sees" your phone and connects... via BlueTooth. The only wires/cords you'd need are if you want to charge your phone while you drive.

I don't drive my CJ far enough to need power for the phone. But, I still may wire a separate cigarette-style plug for the phone chargers and other uses.

Here's the dongle...

1981 CJ8, Chevy 5.7, SM465, D300, RE 4.5, 35" BFG MTs, 20/30 4.56, Detroits, Warn 9500ti

Last edited by Manhattan; 12-06-2013 at 02:32 PM. Reason: wrong quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in