Blower motor switch wiring - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-22-2019, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Jimmyj1957

Blower motor switch wiring

I know this question has been asked many times and answered just as many so please forgive me for asking one more time. One of the previous owner "pricks" (I could use a more colorful name but I'd get in trouble with the moderators) decided to remove the blower control switch on the dashboard and the connector by simply cutting the wires from the harness. This leaves me with several wires hanging down that have been neatly cut off. The vehicle is partly 1980 CJ7 and partly YJ Wrangler (not sure of the year). The dashboard is clearly CJ7 vintage. The wires hanging down are as follows (1) solid RED wire, (1) solid BROWN wire, (2) solid TAN wires, and (1) BROWN with a white stripe. The blower motor connection is (1) TAN wire. The three wires that go to the resistor pack are (1) TAN, (1) solid BROWN, and (1) BROWN with white stripe. I ordered a replacement switch for a 1980 Jeep CJ7 which has (4) contact points for attaching the wires, I also ordered a new resistor pack just in case. Ive looked at numerous wiring schematics hoping to find one that gives me the information on where to reconnect the wires. Only one makes reference to a RED wire and that schematic uses a switch with five connection points. Frankly at this point I'm getting a bit confused. Ive traced three of the cut off wires to where the resistor pack connects, so I kinda know where they should go. In short, can anybody tell me which wire goes where or at least reference me to the correct schematic? It seems like one schematic tells me one thing and another says something else. I know that RED wire must come into play somewhere. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-22-2019, 05:29 PM
lugnut28

1985 CJ7 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 12-23-2019, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Jimmyj1957

The one above is the one I found online from this forum (which makes the most sense). This one shows a switch with 5 contact points although only 4 are used, which i believe would work for my situation. Also this is my first CJ so I'm not entirely familiar with how everything operates. Would the normal operation of this switch/blower circuit be just OFF, LOW, and HIGH? If I'm looking at this correctly the two light brown/tan wires are connected to the same spot, red, solid brown, and brown with white all have separate connection points.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-23-2019, 03:03 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyj1957 View Post
The one above is the one I found online from this forum (which makes the most sense). This one shows a switch with 5 contact points although only 4 are used, which i believe would work for my situation. Also this is my first CJ so I'm not entirely familiar with how everything operates. Would the normal operation of this switch/blower circuit be just OFF, LOW, and HIGH? If I'm looking at this correctly the two light brown/tan wires are connected to the same spot, red, solid brown, and brown with white all have separate connection points.
It would be Off, Low, Medium, and High speed.
Low speed passes through two resistors
Medium speed passes through one resistor
High speed by passes all resistors.

Here is a pictorial view of an 84 Wiring diagram for the heater blower.
Name:  84 HeaterWires.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  35.3 KB

and a bigger view of the schematic:
78-86heaterswitch.jpg

I think the early YJ's are similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #5 of 11 Old 12-24-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Jimmyj1957

Perfect!!!! I figured out which connection goes where. Once again thanks to all who viewed and offered help.
Merry Christmas
Jim
post #6 of 11 Old 03-14-2021, 01:41 PM
Bob79

Jumping on an old thread with a 1979 CJ7, which I presume is the same for the most part. See photos. I need to bring power to the switch and trying to figure out how to run a wire to the blower motor, because I can't locate where the old one was.

Quick question about the schematic: What does the 14 red / S -11 mean? I would guess that is 14 gauge red wire? Is S-11 the position in the fuse box? I'm trying to understand the wiring based up the wiring diagram I found.
Attached Thumbnails
CJ-Wiring-Diagram-1979.jpg  
post #7 of 11 Old 03-14-2021, 02:50 PM
Bob79

And now I'm really perplexed. I purchased a replacement switch and it only has 4 terminals and no place to bring power to, at least that's apparent. Should I have purchased a switch with 5 terminals: 1 for power, 1 for the off position and 3 for the heater fan speeds?
Attached Thumbnails
Photo Mar 14, 4 32 17 PM.jpg   Photo Mar 14, 1 34 18 PM.jpg  
post #8 of 11 Old 03-15-2021, 05:12 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

4 terminals is correct.
Your power wire is already connected. The TAN one.

Name:  HeaterSwitchRusty.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  41.3 KB
Name:  HeaterSwitchWires2.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  46.2 KB

There are 4 terminals but the top one is almost impossible to see in this picture.

One connection on the heater switch goes to the fuse box but the other one goes to the bulkhead connector.

79 had interesting wiring, I think they changed half way through the year as far as I can tell.

Here is a 78 wiring on the switch.
Name:  78HeaterWires.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  24.9 KB

And here is an 84:
Name:  84 HeaterWires.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  35.3 KB

The difference is in where the wire running to the fan originates. In 84, it originates from the plug on the heater switch.

In 78, which is probably more like a 79, it originates from the plug on the resistor pack.
So the wire running to your fan is found on the plug going to the resistor pack.

This is the easiest one to follow.
78-79-heaterswitch.jpg

post #9 of 11 Old 03-15-2021, 05:38 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Or this:
Attached Thumbnails
79 HeaterSwitch connections.jpg  

post #10 of 11 Old 03-15-2021, 11:16 AM
Bob79

Thanks John

I had a feeling you would be the one to reply, and likely have done so a thousand times... Appreciate your guidance
post #11 of 11 Old 03-15-2021, 07:35 PM
Bob79

And thanks again to John Strenk. Got the wires traced and connected. Everything works well and 3 speeds on the fan. I even replaced the tail light switch and got the indicators working. Onto turn signals and power to the fuel gauge next. Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in