LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 09-19-2021, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
JERSEYJOE

1985 CJ7 

Blower motor resistor

I am having a hard time locating a heater blower motor resistor for the early
CJ 7 heating system. Year unknown but i think the heater box is like 79-81

Anyone?

SPEED COSTS MONEY: HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-19-2021, 01:53 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
"79-"86 is the same critters

To verify what you have, is there a vent crammed against the passenger side body like this?

The resistor is most likely available or ordered at a local parts store.

-----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
CJ CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT 015.jpg  
post #3 of 12 Old 09-19-2021, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
JERSEYJOE

1985 CJ7 

Resistor

I checked NAPA and ROCK AUTO no direct fit for the CJ style resistor, different from the available 91-95 one.

Anyone know of a source

post #4 of 12 Old 09-20-2021, 04:05 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I think used one out of my 2004 jeep Liberty. It had a couple extra connections that were not used in the CJ but the plug still worked.

YJ ones should work also.

I think the difference might be some overheat safety device on the resistor pack.

Let me check on it some more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #5 of 12 Old 09-20-2021, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
JERSEYJOE

1985 CJ7 

Resistor

You may be right. The extra connector was concerning

post #6 of 12 Old 09-20-2021, 09:36 AM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Go to this link

https://www.google.com/search?q=1985...hrome&ie=UTF-8

There is a row of pics-----arrows on the ends to expose them all-----many are for other applications----SOME ARE YOU!!!!-----look at the last one at Advance Auto Parts

Want more? Stay on that link and hit "Images"

This was my search above------1985 jeep cj7 BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR, of course it will bring up stray crap too.

Now you have a lot to sift thru, with possible candidates, click on them, go to the site, install your Jeep info to verify this is the correct part and not a "generic pic" for something else

-------JEEPFELLER
post #7 of 12 Old 09-20-2021, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
JERSEYJOE

1985 CJ7 

Blower resistor

You would think with the number of CJ's out in the world that someone would make a direct fit, no guessing replacement blower resistor.

I'll try the YJ one but the NAPA website gives it a " DOES NOT FIT" CJ 7. I guess because of the extra tang on it, might work?

post #8 of 12 Old 09-20-2021, 08:52 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
If "I" was unable to find one.

I'd wire it for "High Speed"

Within seconds of using low, you'll jump on up to high anyway in an attempt better CJ warmth.

I reckon in 40 years of Jeepin', the only times I have used the lower speed was to see if it worked.

The fan must be on "High" to rally get any warm results or to effectively use defrost.

Every chance I get, I try to search for a metal squirrel cage fan, as an attempt to flow more CFMs through the system. The OEM plastic fan is way less efficient than a metal one would be.

I'm sure I'll have more "agrees" with this and of course, always the "disagree-er" too.

-----JEEPFELLER
post #9 of 12 Old 09-21-2021, 03:52 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEYJOE View Post
You may be right. The extra connector was concerning
That extra connector doesn't seem long enough to connect to anything. It's probably being used as a tie post for the components.

post #10 of 12 Old 09-21-2021, 04:19 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
If "I" was unable to find one.

Every chance I get, I try to search for a metal squirrel cage fan, as an attempt to flow more CFMs through the system. The OEM plastic fan is way less efficient than a metal one would be.

-----JEEPFELLER
You mean like this one I got from NAPA ?

Name:  HeaterBlowerFan2.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  86.0 KB

I don't have the number but it was the correct diameter and height and correct direction. Was for some Chebby (70 Firebird or Camero?) . I bought it before the internet was around. Back when they had books and stuff.
It's held on with a setscrew so it doesn't really matter what length shaft is on the motor.

I think it was a 1/4" shorter in height but oh so many more fan blades on it.

Trick is to search for "Blower motor wheel". I know, it's a squirrel cage fan but nothing really helped looking that way.

See if you can find a buyers guide or something. You need Diameter, height, shaft size and direction (CW).

There actually is a website called "blowerwheel.com"

post #11 of 12 Old 09-21-2021, 11:22 AM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
OK John,

The one in your pic is the metal substitute?

Got a Part number for it?

My real friends would have sent me theirs!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

Not that it would break me---About what does it cost?

The kicker question

IS THERE A NOTICEABLE INPROVEMENT IN AIR FLOW?????

Having built my "SAHARA BREEZE" from scratch----Post 2 in here https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/c...tions-4409271/

I poured through the sometimes 10 foot long catalogs (removeable sections) at various parts stores for hours. The good thing with the catalogs was the parts were usually by manufacturer, in an order of sorts, and all of the specs were right there below the pic. Using a computer at a parts store now, requires specific info, a lot of clicking to get to it. You would "Miss" seeing the whole selection. You are unable just to scan thru and quickly eliminate what you don't want. I MISS THOSE DAYS of them just handing you a section and quietly looking thru it at the end of the counter.

I have the wood prototype (used in Willy) and the later sheet metal version (for Mr. Jeep) Both use the same motor, blower wheel, and heater core----All having lifetime warranty's, with the receipts in my LW binder

So with the "Sahara Breeze" Using the method above, I was able to Surgically choose the motor, blower wheel, and heater core size and configuration to make it all efficient and somewhat compact---not to mention the thrust from the outlet hole.

Building the housing around the wheel sorta had to be the "correct" shape and orientation to generate the air intake draw, and create air speed towards the outlet.

OK John

Now that I have novel-ed out the above,

Did you modify/ beef up the heater box surround of the fan to be closer to the Blower Wheel?

If not, do you think doing so would improve the thrust? Dumb example: A couple of layers of that flexible magnetic material, like for calendars/ car door ads, contact cemented on the inside?

I feel sure, this will be a real quick and EZ upgrade on my end, maybe the whole deal in an hour or less.

------JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
NO CUTTY HEATER JUST FIREWALL TO GET IT OUT EZer THAN PULLING WHOLE HEATER.jpg   WAH---LAH AINT THAT PERTTY.jpg  
post #12 of 12 Old 09-21-2021, 02:06 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPFELLER View Post
OK John,

The one in your pic is the metal substitute? Yes

Got a Part number for it? Many years ago I posted the part number but i don't have it now I even found the correct one on NAPA website but they don't list sizes anymore. Check on the size of that 70 firebird one.

My real friends would have sent me theirs!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

Not that it would break me---About what does it cost? $16.00

IS THERE A NOTICEABLE INPROVEMENT IN AIR FLOW????? My Besttop Supertop blows out like a balloon last time ran a soft top

OK John

Now that I have novel-ed out the above,

Did you modify/ beef up the heater box surround of the fan to be closer to the Blower Wheel? No, No modifications were needed to fit the fan but....

If not, do you think doing so would improve the thrust? Dumb example: A couple of layers of that flexible magnetic material, like for calendars/ car door ads, contact cemented on the inside?

I feel sure, this will be a real quick and EZ upgrade on my end, maybe the whole deal in an hour or less.

Yes, Tightening up the clearance at the backside of the wheel would probably greatly improve airflow. I think there may be some loss behind the blower wheel. I set mine up so it closely reached the front intake. Also calking up the heater box to prevent leaks would be a huge help. I calked my old airbox seams because it was warped and added some extra screws to hold the lip together. My new heater box was straight so I didn't bother calking the seams and notice a loss in airflow over the original one. On the original heater box I could support an empty bear can and have it 'float' in the air from the pressure coming out the defroster vent.

------JEEPFELLER
Online now they switched over to a "Check here to see if it will fit your car" instead of putting in the actual dimensions so you can figure it out for yourself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in