Best 4-Post Lift for Home Garage/Shop? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 09-15-2021, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Cj Best 4-Post Lift for Home Garage/Shop?

I want to put a lift in my shop, but with a 105" ceiling there's not enough headroom for a full-size 2-post lift so I'm going to go for a 4-post type.
It looks like most of these lifts are in the 80" to 90" range, with some at 100" tall. Either way, I probably won't be able to stand up fully under my vehicles, but it is really the only solution without literally raising the roof and will be immeasurably better than laying on the hard, cold floor or using a creeper!

Aside from the ceiling, there is plenty of room in terms of length and width. Apparently many of the 4-post lifts come with casters or have them available as an option so that's something else to consider.

The "most" vehicle I'll be putting on it will be a K1500 with a curb weight of less than 5,000 lbs so I'm thinking a 7,000 capacity will be plenty.

Can anyone give me some good advice regarding what brand, capacity, height, etc. would be the best solution given my constraints?

The shop already has 230v-1 30A service which I think would be plenty for a lift in this range.

Any and all constructive advice, opinions, recommendations, etc. will be greatly appreciated!

"Let all the laws be clear, uniform and precise:
To interpret laws is almost always to corrupt them."

~ Voltaire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-15-2021, 02:36 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Check out Greg Smith Equipment. They have a facility in Delaware in the tax free state, but other locations are around also.

https://www.tooltopia.com/categories...t/4-post-lifts

Most all my shop equipment comes from them and are reasonably priced. Taking a trip to Delaware or coming back up on I95 North from somewhere down south is always good to save $$$ on taxes when I'm driving my pickup truck. And freight cost too.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #3 of 20 Old 09-15-2021, 08:46 PM
poppatello

1984 CJ7 

The best lift is a Rotary lift. Not sure you want to spend that kind of money. But they are the number one manufacturer in the world. Next I would get a Challenger, Ben Pak, or equivalent. I would highly recommend you stay away from Greg Smith. They are the cheapest for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a world full of copy cats, be an original...

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...

post #4 of 20 Old 09-15-2021, 08:47 PM
poppatello

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Check out Greg Smith Equipment. They have a facility in Delaware in the tax free state, but other locations are around also.

https://www.tooltopia.com/categories...t/4-post-lifts

Most all my shop equipment comes from them and are reasonably priced. Taking a trip to Delaware or coming back up on I95 North from somewhere down south is always good to save $$$ on taxes when I'm driving my pickup truck. And freight cost too.

Greg Smith has closed most of their warehouses especially the one in Delaware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a world full of copy cats, be an original...

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
post #5 of 20 Old 09-16-2021, 03:04 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
Greg Smith has closed most of their warehouses especially the one in Delaware.

Figures. And they are part of another company now, Tooltopia.

They may be cheaper than most but not cheaply made. Neighbor across the street has a 4 post unit from Greg Smith that he uses to double stack cars in his garage and one being a 61' Corvette.
Neighbor behind me has a 2 post unit from Greg Smith for about 15 years now and always has his heavy F250 up on it while servicing and that truck is loaded down with equipment. I hauled it home for him from Delaware on the back of my 2 axle trailer.

If money is no object, get yourself 4 of these mobile lifts: https://stertil-koni.com/vehicle-lif...e-column-lifts $$$$$$...

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #6 of 20 Old 09-16-2021, 04:03 AM
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt44 View Post
I want to put a lift in my shop, but with a 105" ceiling there's not enough headroom for a full-size 2-post lift so I'm going to go for a 4-post type.
It looks like most of these lifts are in the 80" to 90" range, with some at 100" tall. Either way, I probably won't be able to stand up fully under my vehicles, but it is really the only solution without literally raising the roof and will be immeasurably better than laying on the hard, cold floor or using a creeper!

Aside from the ceiling, there is plenty of room in terms of length and width. Apparently many of the 4-post lifts come with casters or have them available as an option so that's something else to consider.

The "most" vehicle I'll be putting on it will be a K1500 with a curb weight of less than 5,000 lbs so I'm thinking a 7,000 capacity will be plenty.

Can anyone give me some good advice regarding what brand, capacity, height, etc. would be the best solution given my constraints?

The shop already has 230v-1 30A service which I think would be plenty for a lift in this range.

Any and all constructive advice, opinions, recommendations, etc. will be greatly appreciated!
Colt, you have 8'-9" of headroom, your rollbar is probably 6' off the ground, you can only lift it approx 2'-9". seems like a waste of money.

Is your garage free standing or under another floor? if it's free standing you may be able to modify the trusses to get more headroom, if you can't, I'd go with something like a bay lift if you can find one, not sure if they make them anymore.

PS. went looking and couldn't find a bay lift, but you could do a 2 post outdoors, or one of those portable lifts that lift from the side like a fork lift, you could use that indoors or out.
post #7 of 20 Old 09-16-2021, 11:25 AM
InjectedCJ7

1978 CJ7 

Quote:

Colt44,
I have a similar situation to you. My garage is 9’6” to the ceiling, and I bought a 4-post lift, which I truly love! My lift is a Stinger brand (USA made), that I bought used. I also have the dollies, which would allow me to roll the lift out to the driveway, if I needed more clearance. Mine is 120V, so a simple extension cord is all you need. You won’t be able to lift your Jeep enough to reach the first locks on the hoist, due to the roll bar. I solved this by placing jack stands at the corners, under the hoist, for safety. Works fine. Here is a picture of my Jeep on the hoist. I can use a rolling stool under mine, which gives adequate room. Yours might be a bit tight, but still better than creepers!

Good Luck,
John
Attached Thumbnails
D3BF45D3-08FD-4F8D-B3AD-A1B1B8CAEB8C.jpg  
post #8 of 20 Old 09-16-2021, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECJ-7 View Post
Colt, you have 8'-9" of headroom, your rollbar is probably 6' off the ground, you can only lift it approx 2'-9". seems like a waste of money.

Is your garage free standing or under another floor? if it's free standing you may be able to modify the trusses to get more headroom, if you can't, I'd go with something like a bay lift if you can find one, not sure if they make them anymore.

PS. went looking and couldn't find a bay lift, but you could do a 2 post outdoors, or one of those portable lifts that lift from the side like a fork lift, you could use that indoors or out.

It is a single floor, free-standing structure. The previous owner built it not as a garage but as a woodworking shop, which he did very nicely with sheet-rocked walls and a nice finished ceiling. (He also put in a very nice heating/air conditioning unit which I have enjoyed immensely!)

He also separated the space into two rooms, one large one with a double garage door, and a smaller one with a single door. He had all his equipment set up in the big room and kept his wood stock as well as all the noisy stuff like air compressor and the sawdust collection unit in the small room.

Because the building is on a hillside and built into the grade, adding another space for a lift isn't an attractive option. I considered the possibility of raising the roof in the small section and putting a two-post lift in that space, but that also sounds expensive.

Rolling the lift outside isn't practical because of the slope, but I could certainly take down all or part of the ceiling which would allow several additional feet of clearance. I also could remove the interior wall which would at least allow me to move the lift around as needed for space, etc.

Taking out some non-structural barriers would probably be a lot cheaper and easier than trying to raise the roof or build an addition.

Oh, and my wife informs me that an outdoor lift is not an option so that's out.

So, assuming that I'll be able to add some headroom, let's look at what lifts are best for a home garage. I've seen a lot of different ones like Atlas, Bendpak, Nussbaum, Triumph, Tuxedo. (I did look at Rotary, but it seems they are commercial lifts and a lot more capacity and $$$ than I want.)

I would appreciate recommendations as to brand, but I'd also like to hear your reasoning in supporting a given manufacturer.

Speaking of manufacturers, I'd love to get something made in the USA, if such a thing even exists these days, and isn't unreasonably expensive.

~ Voltaire
post #9 of 20 Old 09-17-2021, 08:30 AM
87MJTim

1987 MJ Comanche 

If you are dead set on a 4 post then this may not work. If something portable and a small foot print is desired the look at Ideal MSC6K-LP.

https://idealautoequip.com/index.php...gle-post-lift/

Tim

87 Comanche, 4.0, AX15 (formerly BA10/5), D44
84 CJ7, 4.0 (93 XJ) AX15 (Formerly T5)
post #10 of 20 Old 09-17-2021, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MJTim View Post
If you are dead set on a 4 post then this may not work. If something portable and a small foot print is desired the look at Ideal MSC6K-LP.

https://idealautoequip.com/index.php...gle-post-lift/

Not "dead set" on anything at this point, but there are a couple of things about the 4-post type that I see as advantages:

Don't have minimum slab thickness requirements like with 2-post design.
(I think mine is >4" but no way to be certain.)

Ease of assembly and no need to permanently bolt it to the floor.

Because these can be put on casters, they can be moved around.

I did look at the single-post/cantilevered design but I'm not sure it brings much more to the table.

Depending on what I find out about modifying or adding onto the building, I may wind up having to go with something like the scissor-type lift like Quickjack, etc. Not what I really want but better than nothing and is vastly preferable to using a floor jack to get the wheels off the floor, or using a creeper to squeeze underneath.

>>> Does anybody have personal experience with any of the brands I mentioned before, like Atlas, BendPak or Triumph? <<<

~ Voltaire
post #11 of 20 Old 09-17-2021, 01:37 PM
87MJTim

1987 MJ Comanche 

I have the QuickJack 5000. It's ok. It lifts the car up off the ground, but not high enough for major work: transmission removal. Also, to get underneath, you have enter from the front or rear; side access is impossible. I am also concerned about stability if I am underneath and leveraging a stuck bolt. How much rocking can I do to the car without the stands swaying and tipping over.

Great for oil changes for low ground clearance cars and tire changes is great.

I have been eye-balling the MaxJack for its low ceiling clearance. https://www.maxjax.com/

Tim

87 Comanche, 4.0, AX15 (formerly BA10/5), D44
84 CJ7, 4.0 (93 XJ) AX15 (Formerly T5)
post #12 of 20 Old 09-18-2021, 03:35 AM
ECJ-7
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Not "dead set" on anything at this point, but there are a couple of things about the 4-post type that I see as advantages:

Don't have minimum slab thickness requirements like with 2-post design.
(I think mine is >4" but no way to be certain.)

Ease of assembly and no need to permanently bolt it to the floor.

Because these can be put on casters, they can be moved around.

I did look at the single-post/cantilevered design but I'm not sure it brings much more to the table.

Depending on what I find out about modifying or adding onto the building, I may wind up having to go with something like the scissor-type lift like Quickjack, etc. Not what I really want but better than nothing and is vastly preferable to using a floor jack to get the wheels off the floor, or using a creeper to squeeze underneath.

>>> Does anybody have personal experience with any of the brands I mentioned before, like Atlas, BendPak or Triumph? <<<
I like that, and I found a good price.. $4600

https://liftswholesale.com/single-co...e-column-lift/
post #13 of 20 Old 09-18-2021, 11:17 AM
devildog80

1981 CJ5 

Just need to make friends with the guy laying on his back on the pic. Problem solved

Pic wont post, but the one with 2 GI's changing a tire on military Jeep, one holding it up with his legs, the other changing the tire.
post #14 of 20 Old 09-18-2021, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MJTim View Post
I have the QuickJack 5000. It's ok. It lifts the car up off the ground, but not high enough for major work: transmission removal. Also, to get underneath, you have enter from the front or rear; side access is impossible. I am also concerned about stability if I am underneath and leveraging a stuck bolt. How much rocking can I do to the car without the stands swaying and tipping over.

Great for oil changes for low ground clearance cars and tire changes is great.

I have been eye-balling the MaxJack for its low ceiling clearance. https://www.maxjax.com/

I've gone to the QuickJack website and checked them out.
It looks like about 18" is all you get with any model.
They have various adapters that basically compensate for vehicles with higher clearance, i.e. pickup trucks and SUVs, but aren't intended to generate extra lift.

Given that with a 10' ceiling, the most lift you'd be able to get with a 6' tall Jeep would be four feet - and less with something like a big 4WD pickup.

Like most people, I suspect, most of the work I would be doing is routine stuff like oil changes, wheels/tires/brakes and some other mechanical stuff underneath. Don't see myself pulling transmissions and so on. Honestly, the main reason I want a "real" lift is so I can stand up underneath and spare my 60+ year-old carcass from laying on the concrete floor and all the getting-up-and-down that goes along with that. But when you add up the cost of a proper lift along with whatever I'd have to make happen to accommodate the lift in my existing building, that would amount to a lot of expense. Maybe I need to just get something like a QuickJack and see how it goes before I drop five digits on a lift. And I guess I could chalk up all the up-and-down to the exercise I need to be getting, anyway.

So, anybody else have experience with the QuickJack type of thing, and are there any other people besides QJ making this kind of thing?

~ Voltaire
post #15 of 20 Old 09-18-2021, 07:26 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

For those really miserable jobs you could drop the windshield and unbolt the roll bar for added clearance. Sometimes a half an hour removing something saves two hours of work.
Just trying to think outside the box.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in