Bent fan blade - strikes thermostat housing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-09-2020, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
srreality
1984 CJ7 

Bent fan blade - strikes thermostat housing

While sorting through boxes of parts that came with my 1984 CJ7 project, I found that the fan has a bent blade. Bent just enough to strike the thermostat housing. Can I bend this back into alignment with the other 3 blades?

Secondary question - - in my boxes of parts, I have not found a fan clutch. Should there be one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-09-2020, 05:39 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
In any vehicle literature I've read. Destroy a bent fan, they may fly apart!

Some CJs do use a fan clutch. It is impossible for others (like mine) as there is not enough room without hitting the radiator.

I installed your info into this site. Unless some wild mod was made, looks like yours had one (see link)

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...tch&isFitted=1

----JEEPFELLER
post #3 of 8 Old 08-09-2020, 08:48 PM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

This what I used on mine. I had to trim the length and depth of the blades. I used masking tape for the cut lines. Cut it with my shop scissors. It is vibration free. If I had to do it again I'd go with a 14" fan to eliminate some trimming. I drove it yesterday in 90+ weather and in town. Never got over 200*.

Previously I had an E fan with a thermostatically controlled switch set at 200*. It rarely came on during normal driving.

I have a pusher E fan mounted grill side of the radiator for backup which I never have had to use.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all30092

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!

post #4 of 8 Old 08-09-2020, 09:19 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srreality View Post
While sorting through boxes of parts that came with my 1984 CJ7 project, I found that the fan has a bent blade. Bent just enough to strike the thermostat housing. Can I bend this back into alignment with the other 3 blades?

Secondary question - - in my boxes of parts, I have not found a fan clutch. Should there be one?
If only slightly bent I would just bend it back, gently of course. If it is No 26 in this diagram I would definitely just bend it back, they are quite robust.

A four bladed fan suggests the basic setup with a spacer behind the fan, not a clutch. if I am right then you may be hitting the thermostat housing because you do not have the spacer. One can be made quite easily, thickness on diagram.

Did you find a shroud and a heavy duty radiator or not?
Attached Images

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #5 of 8 Old 08-10-2020, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
srreality
1984 CJ7 

Thanks, BagusJeep for the diagrams, etc. Just one blade is bent and out of line with the other 3. The blade itself is straight, so the bend is near the center "hub". I haven't found a spacer so far! The radiator is a 3 core, but the fan blade is a basic steel 4 blade, with no fan shroud. The radiator shows no signs of leaks, but I'll take it to radiator shop and have it tested, cleaned, etc. This is a base CJ7 with 258 6 and 5 speed.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-10-2020, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
srreality
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into a 6 blade fan when I get through sorting out what I have and don't have!
post #7 of 8 Old 08-11-2020, 01:54 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The 3 core radiator would be a heavy duty radiator but you do not have the shroud. I suggest you fit one and a thermostatic fan clutch when you put it back together, the combo will work better and reduce fuel consumption a little.

I have a fixed fan on my J20 and it is like a tornadoe has hit the road whenever it goes anywhere. No danger of overheating but I could save money on fuel by fitting a fan clutch.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #8 of 8 Old 08-11-2020, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
srreality
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
The 3 core radiator would be a heavy duty radiator but you do not have the shroud. I suggest you fit one and a thermostatic fan clutch when you put it back together, the combo will work better and reduce fuel consumption a little.

I have a fixed fan on my J20 and it is like a tornadoe has hit the road whenever it goes anywhere. No danger of overheating but I could save money on fuel by fitting a fan clutch.
I was thinking along the same lines. I'll see if I can straighten the bent blade first. If that doesn't work, I'll source a 6 blade fan, a shroud and a fan clutch. If it does work, just the latter two things!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in