• 1 Post By Axhammer
  • 1 Post By keith460

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-26-2020, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

Belt Change Out Help

Good evening,

I noticed a squeal the other day when taking a short jaunt, looked under the hood and saw one of my 2 belts wrapped around my fan. Managed to get that off. It was the belt that went around the ALTERNATOR, DRIVE PULLEY and WATERPUMP(FAN). I bought a new belt for that but thought it might be wise to also change out the belt around the WATER PUMP, DRIVE PULLEY and POWER STEERING PUMP.

Watching a video online, the side with the alternator seems fairly easy to loosen the alternator and slip the belt over then tighten.
The other side, with the power steering pump seems a bit more challenging. I watched the following video online [url+]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvTy_myARi8[/url+] and it showed me to loosen the power steering pump, there are 3 key bolts which I have boxed in red in image1 and image2. Bolt 1 and 2 seem fairly easy but I am not sure how I can get to bolt 3.

Would anyone have any suggestions. Or do I not need to fiddle with that bolt?
Thank you for any pointers. I've never changed these before. Do I also need to be super cautious with about tension or can I follow what I have heard others mention that a 1/4" of play is ideal?

Really appreciate it.
Shawn

1986 CJ7
Engine 258 cu in (4.2 L)
Transmission 5 speed

Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpg   image2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-26-2020, 08:27 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Loosen the bolt line but do not remove it. I believe it to 9/16. Loosen bolt two and three and do not remove them. 15mm box end on number 2
15mm socket with extension out to wrench to clear bracket and hoses.

Find the square hole in the aluminum bracket. Near your hose clamp I believe. Use a long 1/2” drive wrench to pivot the unit on the two 15mm bolts.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
2012 JKUR RHD
post #3 of 10 Old 03-27-2020, 03:32 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I've posted these photos in the past for the belt change on the Power Steering Pump. And move your hose/pipe out of the way of the bolt head, it's in the wrong position. Just loosen the pipe fitting and swing it to a position so it does not interfere and re-tighten the fitting.

Attached Thumbnails
PS Belt Adjustment (1).jpg   PS Belt Adjustment (2).jpg  

1984 CJ-7 Renegade

post #4 of 10 Old 03-27-2020, 06:45 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
The 1/2 square hole is for inserting a 1/2 breaker bar. Use a breaker bar (or ratchet) to leverage the bracket.
pedal2themetai likes this.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #5 of 10 Old 03-27-2020, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

Ed, is the "bolt line" you mention number 1, 2 or 3 that I mention or neither?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-27-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

Keith460,
When you say "loosen the pipe fitting" are you referring to the area I have boxed in the new image I attached? Then pivot it out of the way and tighten it into the new position then since it in in the wrong right now then I should have clear access to the back bolt?

Would you also know about what belt I should be getting for Alternator and for Power Steering? I got one from Advanced auto parts for alternator and they gave me the one in the image said it matched up. The tooth profile looks quite a bit lower than the original so I am a bit concerned by that. Maybe I should go to Napa? Is the other belt just called the Power Steering belt?
Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
belt teeth.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by sman26; 03-27-2020 at 05:32 PM. Reason: more pictures
post #7 of 10 Old 03-27-2020, 07:04 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Your number 1 is the long bolt that acts like a clamp on the aluminum parts that pivot.
In some cases I’ve also had to loosen the two short bolts on the forward bracket at the water pump. This allows extra room to pivot the steering pump if you still have too much resistance after the set of bolts are loosened.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
2012 JKUR RHD
post #8 of 10 Old 03-28-2020, 03:37 AM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sman26 View Post
Keith460,
When you say "loosen the pipe fitting" are you referring to the area I have boxed in the new image I attached? Then pivot it out of the way and tighten it into the new position then since it in in the wrong right now then I should have clear access to the back bolt?

Would you also know about what belt I should be getting for Alternator and for Power Steering? I got one from Advanced auto parts for alternator and they gave me the one in the image said it matched up. The tooth profile looks quite a bit lower than the original so I am a bit concerned by that. Maybe I should go to Napa? Is the other belt just called the Power Steering belt?
Thanks again.

Yes, the fitting you have boxed in the enlarged photo. Hydraulic lines can be repositioned once the fitting is loosened.

As for belts, the type you got from Advanced Auto would probably work but I do not much care for the type with the outer ribs and smooth side towards the pulley. Less grip IMO.
Better off getting them from NAPA and the two pics below show the V-belts with the part numbers on them.

Attached Thumbnails
Air Cleaner & Belts (3).jpg   Air Cleaner & Belts (5).jpg  
OrangeCJ-5 likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #9 of 10 Old 03-28-2020, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

You guys rock....headed to Napa now. THanks again everyone...will let you know how it turns out.
Shawn
post #10 of 10 Old 03-28-2020, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
sman26
1986 CJ7 

Everything went well...thanks again everyone for the pointers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in