BEARING & SPINDLE question?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-17-2021, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
roanokewalker

BEARING & SPINDLE question??

Hi. 1977 Jeep CJ7 (was told it was a golden eagle) it has Front Drum Brakes too.

I had to chisel & hammer & literally dremmill OFF the Driver's side - Inside Bearing, to remove it completely. Yes I was VERY careful. Eventually I was able to 'break' the bearing metal ring and get it off the spindle.

BUTT, this also meant that when I tried to replace the Inside Bearing (with a new one) that the new one had to be Hammer & Tapped (gingerly) back into place & onto the spindle 1st,... before then afixing the hub into place.

My question is this: Does this sound CORRECT.? Do these Inside Bearings truly meant to be Hammer & Tapped onto the spindle.????

((I ask an older mechanic and he said that I should take sand paper & wd40 to the spindle unit spot, and to grind the spindle down slightly in that spot....until a New Bearing can simply S L I D E into place onto the Spindle. No need to have the Inside Bearing to require a hammer & tapping it onto the Spindle.))

Thoughts Jeep Forum Guys.??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-17-2021, 12:18 PM
Techlight
1984 CJ7 

Garage
Something isn't right if you had to cut it off and hammer back on...you did say gingerly. Bearings should all go into the hub with seal and then slide over the spindle. How did you put the seal on? I have found that new bearings need a bit of a push to start the nut on the spindle sometimes, but never had to use a hammer. I have an 84, but the hubs are basically the same. I'm sure someone will chime in with more experience.

Does it spin correctly after you preloaded and tightened the bearing?

,[_____],
_-o||||||||o-_
()_)ŻŻŻŻ )_) 1984 CJ7 Renegade, 4.2L-TBI, D30, AMC20, 4.5" OME lift
post #3 of 9 Old 06-17-2021, 02:27 PM
exheep
1976 CJ5 

Ya , what techlight said.
That bearing had been neglected for quite some time.
The races should be tapped into the hub then the bearings installed and the seal.
I usually take mine apart every winter and re-pack them.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-18-2021, 08:20 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Had the old bearing sorta locked up and spun on the spindle----galling the spindle (even a little)?

---JEEPFELLER
post #5 of 9 Old 06-19-2021, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
roanokewalker

I don't understand the word Galling. The old, broken, bearing was super difficult to remove from the spindle. I even tried a tiny plumbers propane torch (to heat it up - but now I understand that propane isn't that HOT of a flame). I Dremell'd a couple grooves into the bearing ring and used a hammer & Chisel to try to free it. But I had to Dremell some more & some more, until the Hammer & chisel could get the bearing ring to move (and then it was back & forth and back & forth...until I could remove the bearing ring. So... when I went to install the new bearing, it would not slide easily onto the spindle. So... I figured that they had to be installed Tightly and used a tap tap tap of a hammer and screwdriver to Make the new Inner bearing go onto the spindle and I tap tap tap'd it as far back and into place as I could.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2021, 10:22 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

As your old mechanic friend suggested, polish the bearing seat area on the spindle with some 320 grit wet or dry and Wd40. Try the bearing fit as you polish. It should just slip on. Not too tight or too loose.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2021, 10:29 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Back in the days I flew military aircraft in NOMEX flight suits when we weren't required to wear the long drawers, flying i.e. long Johns we wore boxer shorts to prevent the flight suits from galding the groin area and upper inner thighs. It is a friction burn. That is also what happens to a horse's back when you don't use a saddle blanket.

According to Wikipedia galling is defined as "Galling is a form of wear caused by adhesion between sliding surfaces. When a material galls, some of it is pulled with the contacting surface, especially if there is a large amount of force compressing the surfaces together. Galling is caused by a combination of friction and adhesion between the surfaces, followed by slipping and tearing of crystal structure beneath the surface. This will generally leave some material stuck or even friction welded to the adjacent surface, whereas the galled material may appear gouged with balled-up or torn lumps of material stuck to its surface.

Galling is most commonly found in metal surfaces that are in sliding contact with each other. It is especially common where there is inadequate lubrication between the surfaces. However, certain metals will generally be more prone to galling, due to the atomic structure of their crystals. For example, aluminium is a metal that will gall very easily, whereas annealed (softened) steel is slightly more resistant to galling. Steel that is fully hardened is very resistant to galling.

Galling is a common problem in most applications where metals slide while in contact with other metals. This can happen regardless of whether the metals are the same or of different kinds. Alloys such as brass and bronze are often chosen for bearings, bushings, and other sliding applications because of their resistance to galling, as well as other forms of mechanical abrasion."

It also can be spelled as "gauld or gaulding."

Polish the spindle with some crocus cloth until the new bearing slides on and off without resistance. It doesn't take much metal galding to cause what you described. Good luck!

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #8 of 9 Old 06-20-2021, 10:37 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Lots of times galling leads to seizing...the parts weld together from friction.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-23-2021, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
roanokewalker

YES. Thank You Guys For Your Help.!!! YES... if the old inner bearings are difficult to remove completely off the axle spindle......then you need to sandpaper the axle spindle once you can manage to remove the old inner bearing. Sandpaper the spindle (20+ minutes with 400 grit sandpaper) in order to clean away any residue and the areas on the spindle that might make it difficult to install a New inner bearing easily. Sand paper away.!!! then the New Inner bearing will slide right onto the spindle As It Should.!!! Thanks Everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in