Battery hold down bracket and bolt - JeepForum.com
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-26-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

Battery hold down bracket and bolt

Hey guys, can anyone tell me if this is an original battery hold down for the battery tray. The fitment seems odd to me. My battery tray is cracked on either side of the hold down so it got me thinking that maybe the hold down was not correct and when the PO went to tighten things down it may have put tress on the tray and cracked it. I have the cracks welded now (not shown in this pic) and would like to prevent this from reoccurring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

w6pea likes this.

Lance

1983 CJ7
Sherwood Green Metallic/Nutmeg Interior
4.0 I6
T-5/Dana 300
Dana 30/Model 20 with 4.10 gears
33/12.50/15 BFG's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-26-2019, 10:26 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Looks stock to me. Mine has the threaded hold down part completely cracked off the tray. I use a battery strap used for a boat battery box to hold the battery in. The rest of my battery bracket is in good shape so I figure the strap will hold the battery better anyway.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-26-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post
Looks stock to me. Mine has the threaded hold down part completely cracked off the tray. I use a battery strap used for a boat battery box to hold the battery in. The rest of my battery bracket is in good shape so I figure the strap will hold the battery better anyway.
Thanks for the help. It's one of those things I've never noticed when looking at other Jeep cjs.

Lance

1983 CJ7
4.0 I6
T-5/Dana 300
33/12.50/15 BFG's

post #4 of 18 Old 06-26-2019, 10:50 PM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

clamp looks upside down

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
post #5 of 18 Old 06-26-2019, 11:09 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Looks like the correct one for the 80's era sevens. I'm guessin' it was loose and the battery kept flexing it. I removed the back "catch clamp" piece in both our Jeeps so I could use a larger battery. I suggest you just get that one welded. It looks to be in good shape yet.
And maybe get a strap connector and a footman loop, and strap the battery in better.
Attached Images

John Strenk and w6pea like this.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-26-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
clamp looks upside down
I'll flip it over tomorrow and see if it fits better.

Lance

1983 CJ7
4.0 I6
T-5/Dana 300
33/12.50/15 BFG's
post #7 of 18 Old 06-26-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Looks like the correct one for the 80's era sevens. I'm guessin' it was loose and the battery kept flexing it. I removed the back "catch clamp" piece in both our Jeeps so I could use a larger battery. I suggest you just get that one welded. It looks to be in good shape yet.

And maybe get a strap connector and a footman loop, and strap the battery in better.
Excellent idea. Do you remember where you got the strap?

Lance

1983 CJ7
4.0 I6
T-5/Dana 300
33/12.50/15 BFG's
post #8 of 18 Old 06-26-2019, 11:18 PM
w6pea

2016 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Nice looking set up. Good work.
Renegade82 likes this.

"Without Trucks America Stops!"
"I woke up still not dead again today!"
"There's too much Blood in my Caffeine System"

"Semper Fi" "Once A Marine Always A Marine"
"No Better Friend..No Worse Enemy""Boycott the NFL" "Boycott Nike "
post #9 of 18 Old 06-26-2019, 11:54 PM
Renegade82

1982 CJ7 

Garage
Yes, I got it at strapworks.com. You tell them how you want it made.
https://www.strapworks.com/Flat_Hook...traps_s/53.htm
w6pea and Curmudgen like this.

The end of a defining era.... JEEP R.I.P. 1941-1986
My frame off Re-Build: (the 4 year saga....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-27-2019, 04:18 AM
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Yes, front hold down clamp is upside down but everything else is OEM Jeep. You can tell by the smaller stay clamp attached at the rear for the smaller group batteries to fit. The small bracket will be held in place by two Torx screws. Plus, the hole to the left of that bracket, on the base of the battery tray, is for the positive (+) cable to pass through to its way to the starter solenoid. I know a lot of guys do not use that feature and turn the battery around so the positive (+) post is on the right and negative (-) post is on the left which is not the OEM way of doing things. Makes for a tidy battery cable routing and the aftermarket trays do not have them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0020.jpg   IMG_0134.jpg  
w6pea likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #11 of 18 Old 06-27-2019, 07:04 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
What a great site.

I need to get some door limiting straps for the hard doors on my CJ and my sons JK.
I''m going to see if I can get the sling straps shorter than 1' in length.
Renegade82 and Curmudgen like this.

post #12 of 18 Old 06-27-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Lance

1983 CJ7
4.0 I6
T-5/Dana 300
33/12.50/15 BFG's
post #13 of 18 Old 06-27-2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Yes, front hold down clamp is upside down but everything else is OEM Jeep. You can tell by the smaller stay clamp attached at the rear for the smaller group batteries to fit. The small bracket will be held in place by two Torx screws. Plus, the hole to the left of that bracket, on the base of the battery tray, is for the positive (+) cable to pass through to its way to the starter solenoid. I know a lot of guys do not use that feature and turn the battery around so the positive (+) post is on the right and negative (-) post is on the left which is not the OEM way of doing things. Makes for a tidy battery cable routing and the aftermarket trays do not have them.
Keith it's always nice to look at your Jeep. It's given me lots of inspiration and knowledge. I am trying to keep things as OEM as possible. As we all know it's very hard to do and getting harder. Now that I know I have the correct parts I can powder coat the tray and it will be ready for install.

All that's left to prepare for paint now is the fresh air grill. Hopefully I can get the body back off and have paint on this thing in a few weeks. I started tear down in November of 2013. Maybe by November of this year it will back together.

Lance

1983 CJ7
4.0 I6
T-5/Dana 300
33/12.50/15 BFG's
post #14 of 18 Old 06-27-2019, 09:24 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

The one I used was Attwood 3000.1189 Battery Box Hold-Down Strap Kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Batte...61512152&psc=1

As I said the tab that holds the threaded insert on the tray is completely broken off but the rest of the tray is in very good condition. It may have even been cut off and then ground smooth. The Attwood battery strap wraps completely around the battery and around the base of the tray. It sure makes it easy to remove the battery and by wrapping it around the tray, it does not put an extra load on the firewall as if you were to attach a loop to the firewall for the strap. The battery can not tip backwards either because it is pulled down into the tray. Without the piece of metal in the back of the tray (if you remove it to fit a larger battery) the battery is not supported on the back side (base) and it could tip backwards. When I got my Jeep, I pointed out to the previous owner that the battery was not strapped down. He looked surprised and told me that it had never moved. I drove it home 160 miles and then "stole" one of the battery box straps out of my boat until I could get a replacement.
Curmudgen likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-27-2019, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
LKCJ

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post
The one I used was Attwood 3000.1189 Battery Box Hold-Down Strap Kit.

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Batte...61512152&psc=1

As I said the tab that holds the threaded insert on the tray is completely broken off but the rest of the tray is in very good condition. It may have even been cut off and then ground smooth. The Attwood battery strap wraps completely around the battery and around the base of the tray. It sure makes it easy to remove the battery and by wrapping it around the tray, it does not put an extra load on the firewall as if you were to attach a loop to the firewall for the strap. The battery can not tip backwards either because it is pulled down into the tray. Without the piece of metal in the back of the tray (if you remove it to fit a larger battery) the battery is not supported on the back side (base) and it could tip backwards. When I got my Jeep, I pointed out to the previous owner that the battery was not strapped down. He looked surprised and told me that it had never moved. I drove it home 160 miles and then "stole" one of the battery box straps out of my boat until I could get a replacement.
I like the price for sure. Thanks guys for the good ideas.

Lance

1983 CJ7
4.0 I6
T-5/Dana 300
33/12.50/15 BFG's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in