212Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of 338 Old 08-24-2018, 03:04 PM
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garet.friedrich View Post
Thanks for the tip!

It's hard not to fly on this build when it's so much fun am i right?? My goal is to have it a roller by Labor Day weekend. Should be a good time either way!
Ugg I wish I could fly with mine! And yes, it is a blast! My goal was to have a roller by the end of the summer. That wont happen tho lol. It will be on axles, but no brake components or wheel on yet. All I have to give it is time tho, hopefully haha.

Keep it up, imma following!

Kov

garet.friedrich likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 338 Old 08-27-2018, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Totally Stainless bolt kit and Prothane Complete bushing kit both came in the mail today. Let the fun begin! In preparation I cleaned and organized the shop last night. Naturally, I took photos.
8.27a.jpg
8.27b.jpg
All of the painted ready to go on parts that i have ready so far.
8.27c.jpg
Most of the remaining parts that need to be cleaned up yet.
8.27d.jpg
New layout. Was able to tuck the 304 away in the corner until i'm ready for it.
8.27e.jpg
Hoping to finish removing the old bushings from the leaf springs tonight. Then I will need to finish cleaning the axles up and get them ready for paint as well. She should be rolling in no time!

79 CJ5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #108 of 338 Old 08-27-2018, 02:11 PM
CJ7 Joe
1984 CJ7 

The build is going nice! Great progress! I’m hoping to make some on mine later this fall after camping season! I’ll start a thread too but I need 25 posts first to add pics LOL

CJ7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #109 of 338 Old 08-28-2018, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Shoes
shoes.jpg
tebeve and Nor Cal CJ5 like this.

79 CJ5
post #110 of 338 Old 08-28-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Oh yeah one more thing i got accomplished this weekend. I found a pre 76 hardtop for get this....$80!
8.28a.jpg
8.28b.jpg
8.28c.jpg
8.28d.jpg
Now I know it's a Meyers brand and looks a bit clunky and boxy in my opinion and I will have to change windshields if I want to fit it on my 79, but for $80 I figured if all else fails I could just resell it and make a little money. A coworker picked it up for me as it was a few hours away so I won't actually get it to my garage for a few weeks yet so I have time to ponder what I might do. Part of me wants to restore it, paint it black, and make it fit. Only time will tell. I also was able to snag a complete 81 cj5 wiring harness for $20 from the same guy. My coworker said it's in good shape so i took his word for it. Between my old harness and this one I should be able to piece something together. Its been a solid week on the build front.

79 CJ5
post #111 of 338 Old 08-28-2018, 09:35 AM
Toyojake
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome progress!! I miss my 78 CJ5. Sub'd for updates!

1989 XJ 4.0/BA10 - 5.5" short arm - Locked C8.25 - AA SYE - HP30
post #112 of 338 Old 08-28-2018, 09:47 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I was never a fan of the look of wildpeaks, but admittedly everyone who has them swears by them as a fantastic tire.

That said; one of my co-workers just got a set, and I'm actually impressed by how much better (aggressive) they look in person than in pictures. I hope they work as well for you as everyone claims!

Nice find on the HT! Even if you don't end up using it, you should easily be able to get your money back out of it!

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #113 of 338 Old 08-28-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I was never a fan of the look of wildpeaks, but admittedly everyone who has them swears by them as a fantastic tire.

That said; one of my co-workers just got a set, and I'm actually impressed by how much better (aggressive) they look in person than in pictures. I hope they work as well for you as everyone claims!

Nice find on the HT! Even if you don't end up using it, you should easily be able to get your money back out of it!

Hoss
I was going more for an aggressive black wall tire "look" as my jeep will mostly be seeing highway miles. I'll let you know how they do in a couple years when I actually get this thing on the road haha.

79 CJ5
post #114 of 338 Old 08-30-2018, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
How do you guys like my new leaf springs??
8.30a.jpg
Just kidding these are the originals after a clean up and paint. Holy heck those metal bushings are a bear to remove!
Did get a tid bit of info from the PO. Apparently this gas tank is not the original.
8.30b.jpg
I was told they changed it because this one can hold more. Any foreseeable issues using this one or should i just clean it up and enjoy the extra capacity?
kovic and Sparkybob like this.

79 CJ5
post #115 of 338 Old 08-30-2018, 09:17 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Looks well built and solid. It may take up a bit of clearance from hanging down lower (bigger), but if it worked once; it will work again.

Hoss

post #116 of 338 Old 08-31-2018, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Finally got the last of the metal bushing out of the leaf springs. A hammer and punch might not have been the most traditional way of doing it but it worked with no damage to the springs themselves.
8.31a.jpg
Oh yeah so I'm hyped to tell you guys that the first parts have officially been bolted to the frame.
8.31b.jpg
serious.jpg

EDIT: Looking at it now I think I put the driver's side motor mount bracket too far forward :S
trailhead2004 likes this.

79 CJ5
post #117 of 338 Old 09-04-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
So I didn't quite get my frame rolling this weekend. I spent a good chunk of time making shelves out of free recycled wood from work.
9.4a.jpg
I need a bit more wood to finish the top 2 shelves yet.
9.4b.jpg
You just can't beat free wood.
Also, got some parts wire wheeled and cleaned up.
9.4c.jpg
Axles cleaned up and disassembled a good amount.
9.4d.jpg
9.4e.jpg
We're getting there!

79 CJ5
post #118 of 338 Old 09-04-2018, 09:42 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I leave my top shelf open like that, great place to store a set (or two) of tires - standing up side by side.

Just a thought!

Hoss

post #119 of 338 Old 09-04-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
I leave my top shelf open like that, great place to store a set (or two) of tires - standing up side by side.

Just a thought!

Hoss
You sir, are a vast source of knowledge....and a delight. Please, never change.

79 CJ5
post #120 of 338 Old 09-04-2018, 08:42 PM
puppybreath
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Just a thought!

Hoss

No you can't beat free wood!

I heated my house, shop and garage for 7 years with scrap wood from work. What really sucked little pink puppy peckers, is that after I went to another job paying $300 more a month, I realized that I actually lost $80/week because I had to pay for heat!

Tags
304 , 360 , amc , cj5 , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in