Barn Find 79 CJ5 Frame Off Restoration - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 190Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 326 Old 08-10-2018, 12:44 PM
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garet.friedrich View Post
Alright so at this stage of my build I'm starting to run into more questions than I have answers for. I'm quickly learning that I can't just spend all of my time wire wheeling and expect to get very far. Since I am such a beginner at all of this I was hoping that some of you kind souls would take the time and answer a few of my questions. I have been scouring all of the other awesome frame off restoration builds i can but some things still have me stumped. So please bare with me as I'm sure some of these will be common sense questions:
-After much consideration I've decided to go through and disassemble my axles and brakes. I have not a clue on where to even begin. Does anybody have a link to a very detailed (picture heavy) thread or website that shows step by step processes and proper tools?
-On the subject of axles, I've noticed I do not have lock out hubs only black caps of a sort. Do these leave my front tires always engaged? Would lock hubs be a more beneficial route to go?
-In the frame I have a couple of broken off bolts. Not having the proper tools I tried to drill them out. I started from small bits and worked my way bigger but unfortunately I wasn't able to start perfectly center so my holes have blown through a side of the bolt leaving a half moon partial bolt still in place if you will. What should I do to finish removing these? I can supply a picture example tonight.
-I'm trying to save money by taking the old tires off of the rim myself. This is proving to be quite tedious. Anybody have any tips and tricks for somebody with limited tool resources?
-I would think my transmission and transfer case are pretty solid. What minor things would you guys suggest I do to them just to ensure they are good to go again?

I think that's all I have for now but I would really appreciate hearing from you guys that have been there before and know the proper way to do things. Thanks in advance!

I have a thread about my axle work, and its in my build thread. Also how I took care of broken nuts in the frame.

kov

garet.friedrich likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 326 Old 08-10-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovic View Post
I have a thread about my axle work, and its in my build thread. Also how I took care of broken nuts in the frame.

kov
Looks like I'll be re-reading your build thread today.
kovic likes this.

79 CJ5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 326 Old 08-13-2018, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Got a little bit more done this weekend. Welded the rear bumper back on but before I did I blew out as much crap from the frame as I could.
frame-dirt.jpg
That ended up being only half of the dirt I all got out of there. Next thing I did was take the rims into work to get shotblasted. Here I made a horrible discovery.
rims.jpg
3 of the rims are the same 15in by 9in wide. The fourth rim(bottom) is only 8in wide and has a similar but completely different triangle pattern. I suppose ill make the odd one out my spare tire but now i'm stuck looking for a fourth matching rim. Anybody have any good sources I could scope out?

79 CJ5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #79 of 326 Old 08-13-2018, 07:18 AM
puppybreath
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The one with the rolled edges on the triangle look exactly like the one's on my jeep and the set my ex son in law just bought from one of the 4x shops online.
I've seen them all over, normally in black

Next time I see I'll ask.
post #80 of 326 Old 08-13-2018, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppybreath View Post
The one with the rolled edges on the triangle look exactly like the one's on my jeep and the set my ex son in law just bought from one of the 4x shops online.
I've seen them all over, normally in black

Next time I see I'll ask.
Thanks I appreciate it!

79 CJ5
post #81 of 326 Old 08-13-2018, 10:41 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Not to nit-pick, but when searching, I can all but guarantee that the top rim is actually a 15x8, and the bottom a 15x7.

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #82 of 326 Old 08-13-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Not to nit-pick, but when searching, I can all but guarantee that the top rim is actually a 15x8, and the bottom a 15x7.

Hoss
All i did was put a tape measure to them. Laying on the ground the 3 originals all measured 9 inches from ground to top lip. Is there a different measurement to use for width?

79 CJ5
post #83 of 326 Old 08-13-2018, 02:24 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
All i did was put a tape measure to them. Laying on the ground the 3 originals all measured 9 inches from ground to top lip. Is there a different measurement to use for width?
Yes, it's the inside lip measurement where the tire face mounts... just wanted to make sure you were searching for a 8" wheel width and not a 9".

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #84 of 326 Old 08-13-2018, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Yes, it's the inside lip measurement where the tire face mounts... just wanted to make sure you were searching for a 8" wheel width and not a 9".

Hoss
This is good intel to have. Much appreciated!

79 CJ5
post #85 of 326 Old 08-13-2018, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Just had these "inserts" made at work. Should work perfectly for my broken bolts in the frame issue. Cost me nothing to make. I love my job.
insert.jpg
Stumpfarming likes this.

79 CJ5
post #86 of 326 Old 08-13-2018, 03:53 PM
STJP
1985 CJ7 

JoonHoss is spot on re measure method for wheel width as well as Jeep did not produce a 9 inch wheel. To support Puppy's post, in the picture, the top wheel is pre-1981 OEM Jeep. Pre-81 because there are no center cap mounting holes which were standard on the "wagon" wheels from 81-86.

They shouldn't be too hard to find. If not, call JWJeep.com or Collins Bros Jeep. Either will have what you need re wheel. Shipping will probably be more than the wheel.

If you buy one online from an individual, make sure they are measuring correctly.

Cheers,

STJP
post #87 of 326 Old 08-13-2018, 05:57 PM
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Just had these "inserts" made at work. Should work perfectly for my broken bolts in the frame issue. Cost me nothing to make. I love my job.
Attachment 3760003
Curious what you are going to do with those inserts that will solve your broken bolt issue?

kov
post #88 of 326 Old 08-14-2018, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovic View Post
Curious what you are going to do with those inserts that will solve your broken bolt issue?

kov
I had accidentally destroyed some of the thread drilling the broken bolts out. So I over sized the holes last night and welded these inserts in. They work good as new.
kovic likes this.

79 CJ5
post #89 of 326 Old 08-14-2018, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
This measurement looks much better.
measure.jpg
The rim looks rusty like that because I was in the metal prep stage of the POR-15. I want every part of this jeep to be durable. I'll top coat black after. I also got the frame this far last night as well. Even took it a step farther and taped off all of the holes and sprayed in 2 coats of Eastwood's internal frame paint. The stuff was a bit messy but it was pretty slick to apply.
frame.jpg
Tonight I'll paint the outside of the frame and rims.

79 CJ5
post #90 of 326 Old 08-15-2018, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Finally got paint put down last night. Definitely not my strong suit as I have always been a lousy/messy painter. I brushed POR-15 rust preventative coating on the frame and rims. 2 coats on the frame 1 on the rims. Followed that up by spraying POR-15 topcoat chassis black. 1 coat on the frame 2 coats on the rims. I tried focusing most of my attention on the rims as they will be seen the most. The frame is far from perfect and has more streaks than I would care for but I keep telling myself that it's more to protect it from rust than for looks.
black-rims.jpg
painted-frame.jpg
John Strenk and trailhead2004 like this.

79 CJ5

Tags
304 , 360 , amc , cj5 , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in