Barn Find 79 CJ5 Frame Off Restoration - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 190Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 326 Old 07-17-2018, 11:17 AM
caseypotts

1980 CJ7 

I believe the only thing that I had to change out was extended front brake lines.

MATT has a better memory than I do, but I'm sure we both agree that it is the perfect lift, not crazy high and doesn't change the driving characteristics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 326 Old 07-17-2018, 11:54 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Just check your rear drive line angles.

CJ-5's have a short rear driveshaft.

If you keep with the stock 3 speed, you probably won't have any trouble.
When I put in the T-177/Dana 300 I had to drop the t-case a little because the length was longer.

I also had to go with a longer rear brake line from the frame to the axle.
It was OK sitting still but discovered it was stretched taught when the axle dropped a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #48 of 326 Old 07-22-2018, 05:52 PM
J10project

1979 CJ5 

Pretty cool. I have a 79 that I just brought out of the woods in February. Having fun figuring lots of things out.

Pablo

1979 CJ5 4.2L Pulled out of the woods after sitting for 20+ years

post #49 of 326 Old 07-25-2018, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
So I had my first set back. Last week I started to blast my frame to clean off all of the rust. Going to refill the abrasive, I thought i had the pod depressurized, but it turns out it was not
blaster-cap.jpg
The cap popped off and caught me in the teeth. Small surgery and a replacement tooth later and I'm good to go. I'll save you from the gory pics and details but after a weekend at the lake I'm ready to get after things again.
puppybreath likes this.

79 CJ5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #50 of 326 Old 07-26-2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Trying to decide the best route to straightening out this back bumper
bumper.jpg
It's welded on so I'd like to explore options to straighten it out while staying attached to the frame but if I have to cut it off and reweld it on then so be it. Thoughts?

79 CJ5
post #51 of 326 Old 07-26-2018, 10:21 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

A long piece of 4" angle iron long enough to reach past the frame rails and a bunch of c-clamps?

At least that is what i would do....

post #52 of 326 Old 07-26-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
A long piece of 4" angle iron long enough to reach past the frame rails and a bunch of c-clamps?

At least that is what i would do....
Could you elaborate a little? I'm still pretty new to the auto body world

79 CJ5
post #53 of 326 Old 07-26-2018, 11:40 AM
puppybreath
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Scissor jack and chain. Attach a chain at both ends where it beets the frame, place the jack inside so it's sitting on the bend (may need a block of wood etc) place chain over the jack and start jacking it up.
Push it out a little, then work the flange with hammers wrenches etc to straighten it out keep going till it's straight.
Don't try to get it out in one big push, take your time and go slowly. Heat may or may not be needed.
May have to go a little past straight to compensate for spring back.

I've done a lot of straightening of frames, cross members etc that way, just need to remember that it will bend where the jack is. It works very easily with great results 90% of the time.
garet.friedrich likes this.
post #54 of 326 Old 07-26-2018, 12:37 PM
kovic
1983 CJ5 

If worse comes to worse those are super cheap. Not hard to get off. Just bolting on a new one would probably suffice too.

kov
post #55 of 326 Old 07-26-2018, 12:48 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garet.friedrich View Post
Could you elaborate a little? I'm still pretty new to the auto body world
I have a long piece of 1/4" thick 4" wide and about 5 feet long angle iron and when i need to straighten something like that, I just put it across the ends and
use a c-clamp between the bent piece and the angle iron to pull it flat again.

I also have a hydraulic ram set for pushing things back into shape but I found it pushes on both ends and can make a bigger mess..
kovic and garet.friedrich like this.

post #56 of 326 Old 07-30-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
After a busy couple of weeks I'm ready to get back after it. Brought some parts into work to get shot blasted today.
sb-parts.jpg
Did a pretty decent job but they will still need to be touched up a bit. My main issue has been deciding on a priority list. From the ground up is probably the smart way to go. I'm thinking I want a 2.5" lift kit put in but im not ready for any more big purchases at the moment. I'll probably clean up the old suspension kit and use that for the time being.

79 CJ5
post #57 of 326 Old 07-31-2018, 07:58 AM
NormWild
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Not much of a fan for black wheels anymore, they have more or less run there course in the auto industry. Chrome wheels would be my choice.
Black wheels are such a fad, definitely on their way out!

I used to feel the same way until I realized that they are the best for low maintenance, and they will always look bada$$. I've had chrome/polished aluminum wheels and never again, what a PITA, always look dirty, always need polishing. On a show car maybe, not on a 4X4.
Attached Images

garet.friedrich and tebeve like this.

1985 CJ7- Too many mods to list due to stupid 100 character sig restriction
post #58 of 326 Old 08-01-2018, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Got into work last night and shot blasted a good handful of parts. Here is a before and after just to show how well this thing has been cleaning rust off for me.
sb-1.jpg
sb-2.jpg
I plan on running with the original leafs for awhile. I heard that I could shim them up to get roughly an inch of lift out of them. Does anybody know if there is any truth to that?
Also ran the bell housing through and noticed it had been cracked and welded back up.
bell.jpg
It's a bad pic but it's an even worse looking weld. Obviously it must have done the trick back in the day. Should I run with it like this or clean it up and reweld? Just not sure how dangerous this could be down the road if at all.
Tonight I have a local guy coming with a sand blaster he runs off of a trailer. Going to get an hour of work out of him so I got the tub propped up outside along with the hood and grill ready to go next and then axles if we have time. He quoted me that the tub was for sure doable in an hour and that his blaster doesn't warp thinner body parts. I took a look at some of the stuff he had sitting at his shop and it all looked really quality so I'm excited to see what we can all get done.

79 CJ5
post #59 of 326 Old 08-02-2018, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
So this happened yesterday.
cj43.jpg
For $300 he blasted my tub, hood, and grill. Since it uses water (along with a rust preventative) it doesn't warp the sheet metal because it doesn't let it get hot.
cj44.jpg
cj45.jpg
After about 2 hours he was done. This is what it looked like. Kind of a mess.
cj46.jpg
I think it was taking him a lot longer than he thought it would because all of a sudden he says to me he didn't get to the under side but it looks fine. I strongly disagree, I want this thing to be perfection, but i let it go because he already saved me a butt load of time and money getting it this far.
cj47.jpg
It got dark on me before I could take any pics of anything after I hosed it all down so there's alot of extra crud that shouldnt be there. Ill get updated pics tonight. Here is the passenger side floor which I thought I wouldn't have to touch but sure enough there's rust holes in it.
cj48.jpg
This is the first time I can honestly say I feel overwhelmed with this project. We uncovered so much more old body work repairs than what I was expecting. We found bondo repairs, brazen repairs, and even lead repairs. Here is a brazen example.
cj50.jpg
This panel is so shotty looking that the Jeep logo is about the only thing in good shape (thank God)
cj51.jpg
Then we discovered this mess on the driver side rear that was covered up. Any ideas what these holes would have been for?
cj49.jpg
I'm going to have a lot of cut out and weld work ahead of me. Luckily I've got a buddy that has recently decided he wants to make my project his project so he's been coming over to help me work on things. That'll be big once i start to tackle the tub again. Do you guys have any flash rusting preventative measures or is it not such a big deal where I can just sand the flash rust out when I finish all of my repair work down the road?

79 CJ5
post #60 of 326 Old 08-02-2018, 09:06 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by garet.friedrich View Post

Then we discovered this mess on the driver side rear that was covered up. Any ideas what these holes would have been for?

Ball mount for 102" whip CB antenna

keith460 and garet.friedrich like this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

Tags
304 , 360 , amc , cj5 , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in