Barn Find 79 CJ5 Frame Off Restoration - JeepForum.com
 211Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 338 Old 07-11-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Barn Find 79 CJ5 Frame Off Restoration

I've never restored any vehicle before let alone done any major work further than changing brakes. I have, however, grown up around a family that used to practice restorations quite frequently. Unfortunately, time catches up to us all and a lot of vehicles either collect dust or weeds now. Out of those that remained was my uncle and aunt's 79 CJ5 that had sat in our barn at the farm for 20 years and then another 5-10 elsewhere before that. With all of my lack of experience I still couldn't deny my primal masculine urge to turn wrenches. After all, you're not really a man if you don't completely destroy and rebuild a vehicle at least once in your life right? So having a spare garage that needed filled and some coaxing from my family I was able to purchase the jeep for a very reasonable price.
Here she is in all of her glory.
cj2.jpg
She was rough but not a lost cause by any means. In 82 she survived a house fire which is where my family came to buy her. From there they restored it once and drove it until the starter went out 20 some years later and they parked it for good. Now in June of 2018 this was the biggest obstacle i had to face. Nothing but junk, 4 flat tires, and a locked steering column with no key.
cj1.jpg
Sun for the first time in 20 years never felt so good.
cj4.jpg
I was told it had a soft top at one point but that was more than likely long gone. Plenty of coon and bird poop for proof.
cj5.jpg
cj6.jpg

79 CJ5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 338 Old 07-11-2018, 01:59 PM
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Looks like you have a pretty solid base to get started with! Body does not look too bad, lucky!! Great looking jeep!

Good Luck!

kov
garet.friedrich likes this.
post #3 of 338 Old 07-11-2018, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
The next step was to get her cleaned up and into my garage.
cj14.jpg
After almost a life time of never seeing this thing out of a barn here she was in my garage and she was all mine
cj16.jpg
tiretread likes this.

79 CJ5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 338 Old 07-11-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Being as inexperienced as I was I still knew I had to first tear it apart before I could build it back up. So like any good HGTV show I started in on demo day!
Luckily from what everybody told me the motor was still in good shape. 304 V8.
cj17.jpg
I vacuumed out all of the dirt, poop, and whatever else had collected in the back. I knew this carpet just had to go.
cj19.jpg
Much better. Surprisingly the sheet metal wasn't rusted very badly underneath.
cj24.jpg
Except for the driver side floor panel. That will need to be replaced.
cj25.jpg

79 CJ5
post #5 of 338 Old 07-11-2018, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
According to the Vin the original color was black. It also has a few things that only the Golden Eagle edition would have such as the motor and i think it has the extra dash spot for a factory tach?
cj22.jpg
I'm hoping someone out there knows more about this as I tried to get ahold of the production spec sheet but ran into a dead end as they never transferred records when Jeep made the switch.
I'm really hoping it's a Golden Eagle but I just don't know. It may or may not influence my end goal for paint design if it is.

79 CJ5
post #6 of 338 Old 07-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Virtually impossible to tell if it was a true Golden eagle unless it is is all original state and you have the window sticker. Mines a Golden Hawk, in original paint with original stickers, sat in a barn for ages, east Texas farm mule. When I tried to pressure wash the dirt out of the stickers, they peeled a bit, off they came.

Good find, you'll have fun with it, still wish mine has the 304...
post #7 of 338 Old 07-11-2018, 04:54 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hoss

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #8 of 338 Old 07-11-2018, 05:44 PM
BeesJeep

1981 CJ7 

Awesome Jeep!
post #9 of 338 Old 07-11-2018, 05:55 PM
keith460
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Better check the VIN, as I do not think that is 1979 model year. The dash has two speakers, 79 only had one on the passenger side.

Not a Golden Eagle for sure. No sport steering wheel, no gold wheels, no fender extensions, no rocker molding or even holes for them, no dash pad, no dash panel overlay.

Looks to be just a basic CJ-5 with a few options like tilt wheel, clock & Tachometer, side steps. All of which could have been ordered on ANY Jeep CJ.

Still a good find though. Congrats!
JoonHoss likes this.

1984 CJ-7 Renegade
post #10 of 338 Old 07-11-2018, 06:16 PM
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

I don't think High back seats were available in 79 either?

Ernie

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

Every Loaf of bread is the tragic story of grains that could've become beer but didn't.
post #11 of 338 Old 07-11-2018, 06:34 PM
kovic
1983 CJ5 

He said it was restored at some point, who knows what was changed at that time. Basic or Not, can't beat a good CJ5.

kov
post #12 of 338 Old 07-11-2018, 06:59 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Better check the VIN, as I do not think that is 1979 model year. The dash has two speakers, 79 only had one on the passenger side.

Not a Golden Eagle for sure. No sport steering wheel, no gold wheels, no fender extensions, no rocker molding or even holes for them, no dash pad, no dash panel overlay.

Looks to be just a basic CJ-5 with a few options like tilt wheel, clock & Tachometer, side steps. All of which could have been ordered on ANY Jeep CJ.

When I got my 76 CJ5 it had a cutout in the dash for a speaker just like that. Left the right side speaker opening original. What a great way to ruin a perfectly good dash.

Curiously though, was a FM stereo radio not available in 79?
never mind, just read the owners manual. And it looks like only the manually tuned AM radio was available in the CJ in 76. No push button radios om the CJ.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #13 of 338 Old 07-12-2018, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post

I've checked the Vin. It definitely is a 79. I'll have to do some digging and see what my uncle all did to it in the first resto. I'm sure the seats aren't original as it was in a fire. When i take the speakers out of the dash ill inspect the holes closely to see if one was added in. Thanks for the insight!

79 CJ5
post #14 of 338 Old 07-12-2018, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
When I got my 76 CJ5 it had a cutout in the dash for a speaker just like that. Left the right side speaker opening original. What a great way to ruin a perfectly good dash.

Curiously though, was a FM stereo radio not available in 79?
never mind, just read the owners manual. And it looks like only the manually tuned AM radio was available in the CJ in 76. No push button radios om the CJ.
I'll probably be bringing the radio up to date with the current century

My goal is to make this jeep a balance between a Saturday play toy and a Sunday cruiser.... if that makes any sense.

79 CJ5
post #15 of 338 Old 07-12-2018, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
garet.friedrich

1979 CJ5 

Garage
So last night I was a one man wrecking crew. Start the hot afternoon off with putting up 300 bales to fund my new hobby.
cj34.jpg
After that I managed to get the tub off by myself.
cj35.jpg
I think once i take a wire wheel to the frame it's going to clean up nicely.
cj36.jpg
Tranny
cj37.jpg
As you can tell back in the mid 80s for the first resto they put on an undercoat. Looks like that still wasn't enough to keep the Iowa weather conditions away.
cj38.jpg
So far into the tear off I have broken probably a small handful of bolts and had to grind a couple very stubborn ones. All in all though I'm pretty thrilled by the progress though. I got trigger happy and started ordering some parts that i know i will for sure need so my garage is cluttered to no end. I think tonight might have to be a cleaning and organizing night.

79 CJ5

Tags
304 , 360 , amc , cj5 , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in