Bargain Bin Jeep Build - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 Old 12-31-2016, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
lowslungCJ

Bargain Bin Jeep Build

Hi Y'all,

I have stayed in the background for so long now is the perfect time to start a build thread! In November 2013 I bought my first Jeep, a red CJ5 that I paid WAY too much for but I wanted a Jeep and I wanted it badly! The CJ5 came with a full black top, was mostly original, and had the stock 258, T150, D20 drivetrain. I drove it for not too long before realizing the CJ5 needed some serious TLC to make her safe.

I wish I had a picture of the first day I bought the Jeep but I was in love from that first drive! I took it wheeling by myself very quickly and proceeded to get stuck in a bad way! It was that moment that I realized I needed a "mentor" or club to join.

Attached Thumbnails
First Wheeling CJ5.jpg   First Wheeling CJ5.2.jpg   First Wheeling CJ5.3.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 12-31-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
lowslungCJ

After that first trip and killing the starter I decided it was time to fix some issues I had noticed now that I owned the Jeep. I replaced the starter, relay, wiring, and patched a bunch of interior wiring that had been loosely cut. Oh and I meet a group of folks on Facebook that called themselves a club so I decided to go wheeling with them. This trip taught me to hate mud! From this moment on I sought to miss the mud hole instead of going straight for it!
Attached Thumbnails
Second Wheeling CJ5.jpg   Second Wheeling CJ5.2.jpg   Second Wheeling CJ5.3.jpg  
John Strenk likes this.
post #3 of 51 Old 12-31-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
lowslungCJ

I also learned the difference between a Facebook club and a real group of friends who wheel together after that trip. I went camping with a bunch of folks and that is when I meet the folks in the club that I am a charter member of. The trip is called Country Fried Weekend and is held every MLK Weekend in Northwest GA. The weekend is comprised of a bunch of expedition type builds coming together to enjoy some time riding trails, cooking, and making a MASSIVE fire to stay warm!

Right before this trip I swapped in a full 4" lift kit to get rid of the insane shackle lift that was on the Jeep. I also rebuilt the entire front axle, driveshafts, and brake system. About the same time I noticed the fuel tank had rusted through so I decided to buy a new fuel tank and completely rebuild the fuel system. Soon after all this work I went wheeling with the club again to a place called Bell Mountain.
Attached Thumbnails
CFW 2016 CJ5.2.jpg   CFW 2016 CJ5.jpg   Bell Mountain CJ5.2.jpg  
Attached Images

post #4 of 51 Old 12-31-2016, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
lowslungCJ

I started visiting various offroad parks with the new club and quickly began to realize the short-comings of my CJ5. The lack of length, power anything, crawl ratio, and a solid frame and body quickly gave me a wakeup call. At this point I had acquired a Wagoneer D44 front and a Isuzu Rodeo D44 rear to swap into the CJ5 but that was all about to change. I made plans to stretch the wheelbase some, add the D44's f/r, and a new transmission to make the crawl ratio much better for rock climbing. I drove the Jeep for the last year hard on the trails doing things that pushed the limits of the CJ5 and myself. At Dixie Run 30 at Golden Mountain Offroad Park I was attempting a 3' ledge when I ripped the rear shackle bolts through the frame. At this point I parked the CJ5 in a buddies garage and began the planning process for the D44 swap.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailfest 2016 CJ5.jpg   Dixie Run 2016 CJ5.3.jpg   Dixie Run 2016 CJ5.4.jpg   Dixie Run 2016 CJ5.6.jpg  
Attached Images

post #5 of 51 Old 01-01-2017, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
lowslungCJ

The previous post catches y'all up to September of this year (2016). I started looking at my end goal for the Jeep and looking at the various issues I was facing by building the CJ5. The following issues halted the repair work for about a month:

-Lack of wheelbase
-Lack of room
-Pretty much a rusted out body
-Rusted frame

I got married in October of this year and that changed the build plans in my mind. I knew if I built the CJ5 I would eventually have to replace the body and build a new frame just to make it safe enough to drive my future kids in. At this point my buddies mentioned the idea of building a CJ7 instead of the rusted out CJ5 I own. The wheels started spinning and on December 3 I picked up a rust free and straight 1994 YJ body and frame. Before you jump on me I plan on bolting a CJ clip on the front end and installing a flat dash to keep things as close as possible to a CJ5. The Yj body and frame gave me a perfectly clean slate to build off of that would allow my wife, future kids, and myself to fit in one Jeep! As of now here are my build plans:

-1994 YJ Body and Frame
-CJ hood (high-lined) and grill
-Fuel Injected V8 (Current plan is a TBI 305)
-Automatic (Current plan is a TH350)
-A twin sticked transfer case (Current plan is a D300)
-1979 Wagoneer Front D44 (passenger side, 4.30 gears, lunch box locker, beefy steering, rebuilt consumables)
-1996 Isuzu Rodeo rear D44 (4.30 gears, limited slip, disc brakes, mini-drum e-brake)
-Front 7 leaf Wagoneer springs mounted SUA f/r
-Power Steering
-Power brakes
-Safe enough to do 70 mph down the highway to the trailhead
-Built low with skid plates covering all the vitals

The first picture shows the frame and body sitting on axle stands in my driveway with the 315/70/17 BFG KO mocked up. The second picture shows the rear Isuzu D44 mounted SUA with the stock 7 leaf wagoneer springs. The frame is currently 22" off the ground which I am digging! I love a low vehicle built with a predictable and controllable suspension for the trail.

This brings y'all up to today and the current status of the build. If you have ideas on what drivetrain you would suggest please comment below but remember I want to be able to keep up on the highway as well as crawl on the trail! Please add any advise you wish to share!

Oh and my wife is fully behind the new build as long as she gets 3 things:
(1) The Jeep has to be nice enough for her to drive to work any day she wants
(2) She gets to pick the paint color
(3) She gets to see all the deals before I purchase them
Attached Thumbnails
YJ Build Wheel Mockup.jpg   YJ Build Rear Axle Mockup.jpg   YJ Build Rear Axle Mockup.2.jpg   YJ Build Rear Axle Mockup.3.jpg  
post #6 of 51 Old 01-01-2017, 09:17 AM
lovett86

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like your moving along nicely

its a rusty one

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
post #7 of 51 Old 01-01-2017, 11:41 AM
Chrisinchwk
1982 CJ7 

No suggestions but I like your thought process. Good luck on your build

Chris
post #8 of 51 Old 06-27-2017, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
lowslungCJ

After some crazy busy few months I was able to work on the Jeep again. I removed the gas tank to prep for a gas tank notch and the rear axle so I can remove the spring perches.

Since January I've collected some more Grand Wagoneer leaf springs and some misc parts. I've also got a hard deadline for myself now. I'm racing a friend to have my Jeep ready for Dixie Run on September 21, 2017. I've got a long way to go but little by little I'll knock things off the list and get this Jeep complete enough for the trail!

Anybody know who has the best D300 rebuild kit?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4698_1498617784049.jpg   IMG_4697_1498617802097.jpg   IMG_4696_1498617820561.jpg  
post #9 of 51 Old 06-28-2017, 12:40 PM
Dadamsnv

1977 CJ5 

Sub'd. This is a whole lot like my build, except I kept the CJ5 stuff and stretched the wheelbase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm looking for a Scout II Dana 300. Drop me a line if you have any leads. Thanks
post #10 of 51 Old 07-03-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
lowslungCJ

Tonight I started the gas tank notch but was stopped cold in my tracks by the rain. I drained the tank out and notched the skid plate. I got far enough as to start tacking the notch back in when it started raining. Forgive the crappy welds, I haven't welded in 5 years and I had the macivine too hot. BE CAREFUL WHEN HEATING THE TANK, a standard heat gun seems to heat the tank more than enough if your not careful. Take your time and I'll update this thread on Wednesday night when I hopefully have some time to finish the notch and forming of the tank!

Dadamsnv it's good to see you checking out my mediocre build. Your Jeep is quite the inspiration and we are using many of the same parts! Little by little I'll get this thing back together!

Here are some before pictures just to show the before and after and of the skidpkate notch.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4710_1499128698551.jpg   IMG_4712_1499128726731.jpg   IMG_4715_1499128841109.jpg   IMG_4716_1499128854759.jpg  
post #11 of 51 Old 07-04-2017, 07:38 AM
skizriz

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowslungCJ View Post

Anybody know who has the best D300 rebuild kit?
I would check with Novak if you haven't already. Every kit I got from them was very complete, and much easier than piecing all the different parts together yourself.
post #12 of 51 Old 07-05-2017, 03:01 PM
rough76cj7
1976 CJ7 

Great thread, what part of North Georgia are you in? I'm located in Blairsville.
post #13 of 51 Old 07-10-2017, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
lowslungCJ

So life got in the way this past weekend but I was able to spend some time on the Jeep tonight. I finished the welding on the fuel tank skidplate and I heated up the gas tank but I couldn't get it to mold over the notch. I am going to try to mold the gas tank again tomorrow and heat up a much larger area of the gas tank.

Does anyone have any advice on how to mold the gas tank? Give me any advice you want on the welding (first time in 7 years).

I did have an hour on Saturday free but it was raining so I put some wheel spacers on my Wife's WK2 and some JKR wheels/tires! Big difference in stance and presence!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0738.jpg   DSCN0739.jpg   DSCN0740.jpg   DSCN0741.jpg   WK2 JKR Wheels:Tires.jpg  

post #14 of 51 Old 07-10-2017, 09:36 PM
Dadamsnv

1977 CJ5 

I saw a guy on pirate do this (notch a poly tank). I can't remember specifically, but I think he ended up basically pressing the tank into the skid with a board or something as he hit it with some pretty high heat. Super vague huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JoonHoss likes this.

I'm looking for a Scout II Dana 300. Drop me a line if you have any leads. Thanks
post #15 of 51 Old 07-10-2017, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
lowslungCJ

I'm gonna try to heat up the tank for a much longer time frame and introduce it to a rubber mallet! I might even go get a cheap HF heat gun to see if it helps. I'll report what happens! I also need to paint the skidplate and wash the crud out before I do the final install.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in