Back9k9 í79 CJ-7 Build - JeepForum.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-24-2020, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
back9k9

1979 CJ7 

Back9k9 í79 CJ-7 Build

First off, I want to start this thread with a big, big thank you to all you folks on here posting your stuff and answering questions. It really gave me confidence that if I can't figure something out, I can probably ask it here and get my answer. That's very valuable in my book. Again, thanks!

That being said... Here we go...

Last summer, I was browsing websites, watching tv car restoration shows, youtube videos, etc. I decided I might want to try my hand. Iím an empty nester and pretty handy and feel like I can teach myself most anything and looking for my next project.

I found a deal on a í79 CJ-7. It was advertised as ďpainted, tub off!Ē

I bit. $1000 and it was mine. I gave the PO a little extra to deliver it the 20 miles to my house.

The tub was indeed pulled, and painted. It was dirty and there were a few rust spots on the sides of the body where it had bubbled through the paint. The floor panels had all been replaced. The PO did a pretty good job. The CJ really had minimal rust.

The chassis was cleaned and freshened up.

All the miscellaneous parts from the disassembly were placed in the 3 plastic tubs shown in the 2nd photo here.

T150 & Dana 20 seemed to be in good shape and cleaned (at least on the outside).
The 258 I-6 engine was not installed. PO said it would need rebuilding.

The PO had done a good job getting started. Then life happened, he abandoned the restoration and the Jeep sat outside with no shelter for over a year!

You know how I mentioned all the small parts were in the 3 plastic tubs, well 2 of them were full of water and those parts are worthless.

So here I am. Picking up this restoration midstream and looking at this new, puzzle / project.

Iíd appreciate your help getting her running again.

2019-09-22-15.26.18.jpg
2019-09-22-15.26.25.jpg
2019-09-22-15.26.30.jpg
2019-09-22-15.26.40.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-25-2020, 03:51 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

What are you going to do first?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 18 Old 01-27-2020, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
back9k9

1979 CJ7 

Hey, thanks for letting me share / document my journey. I really appreciate it.

I plan to get to work on that tub.
3 of the 4 rails (outboard / inboard) underneath the front seats are rusted away. After that I'll take a look at the few rust bubbles on the side.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-27-2020, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
back9k9

1979 CJ7 

Iím going to try to do this on somewhat of a budget and save money where I can.

Here's kind of a high level overview of what I've figured out so far...

* The 258 I-6 is basically a core motor and the thought of putting around to $2k into it doesnít really excite me. I found a better engine at a good price. I'll post details of that soon. It's also a 258. This is my first go and I want to keep it simple.

* There were no seats or brackets

* No Fuel Tank or skid.

* Windshield is broken and needs replacing. Frame in good shape.

* Steering column needs a rebuild. Steering wheel is dry rotted.

* Thereís no top Ė but I donít really want one right away anyhow.

* Tub support rails underneath front seats need replacing Ė 2 outboard rails, 1 inboard rail.

* Wheels are Ok but tires wonít hold air. Iím not crazy about the wheels either. Might shop around for something different.

* That paint job that looked promising when I bought it will need to be re-done.

* Master cylinder was in the rain filled tubs and was worthless.

* No exhaust system.

I'm sure there will be more and even though Iím pretty good at "solving puzzles", I donít have the benefit of seeing things being disassembled.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-27-2020, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
back9k9

1979 CJ7 

Back9k9 í79 CJ-7 Build

My visionÖ

I donít plan on stretching this Jeep off-roading. I might do some light trail riding. I really want to cruise around with the top off and drive it on the beach and enjoy the open air.

My first thought was keep it bright red with black interior trim. Pretty standard, I thought. Plenty of black trim parts and I love red.

After chewing on it for a while and since Iím itís going to be in GA & FL during the summers, I decided that I want to go with a deeper red with tan interior.

I always liked wagon wheels and have never been a huge chrome fan so I found to some wagon wheels and am going to paint them white.

Iím not a young man anymore so I want to add power steering and power brakes.

I think I can get by without a tilt-steering column if I go with one of the smaller Grant wheels. Weíll see.

I like the idea of rhinoliner or monstaliner for the inside of the tub and maybe underneath.

Beyond that, Iím gonna figure it out as I go.

The first car I ever bought with my own money was a í78 CJ-5 (White/Blue/Renegade). I really loved that thing!

I drove it off-road so much and had so much fun! I also broke and repaired tons of things.

I eventually sold it when I decided to go back to college.
Attached Thumbnails
2020-01-27 15.26.26.jpg  
John Strenk likes this.

Last edited by back9k9; 02-12-2020 at 12:33 PM.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-27-2020, 04:57 PM
MetalMountainGoat

1985 CJ7 

From what you have pictured, I would be looking for a parts jeep. One with a worthless tub would be perfect to get the mechanicals you need. Steal what you need off of it, and sell the rest, or sell it as a parts jeep to someone else.
back9k9 likes this.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-27-2020, 09:13 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Hoss
back9k9 likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement
post #8 of 18 Old 01-27-2020, 11:16 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
From what you have pictured, I would be looking for a parts jeep. One with a worthless tub would be perfect to get the mechanicals you need. Steal what you need off of it, and sell the rest, or sell it as a parts jeep to someone else.
I would second this idea if you have the means and the right deal comes your way. A few years ago I bought a CJ5 from a guy that rolled and totaled it in Moab. Tub, windshield, and roll cage were toast. Insurance was going to give him $700. I Paid 4k. Sold the T18, twin sticked Dana 300, axles, bumpers, TSL tires, wheels, Warn winch, gauges, dash, steering column, etc. Made $6000 back, got a nice Remington 700 tactical 308 and a recently rebuilt and Howell TBI injected AMC 401 for free. Had that parts Jeep stripped and rolled away within 30 days.
John Strenk and back9k9 like this.

I want my two dollars!
post #9 of 18 Old 01-28-2020, 06:51 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What are you going to do first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by back9k9 View Post
Hey, thanks for letting me share / document my journey. I really appreciate it.

I plan to get to work on that tub.
3 of the 4 rails (outboard / inboard) underneath the front seats are rusted away. After that I'll take a look at the few rust bubbles on the side.

I suggest you start by planning out your build.

Use a binder. Take the first page and list out all the sub groups, such as rear axle assembly, front axle assembly, brakes, transmission, transfercase, engine, steering, etc... Break those down into folders listing what you want to do and what you have already done.

This will accomplish a couple of things. First it will keep you from forgetting/overlooking something that you will have to come back to, such as replacing the clutch after the whole rig is reassembled, or going back and replacing the spring bushings. It will also keep a running list of accomplishments. You will need this later in the build when it seem like you haven't made any progress and are ready to be come a "PO" yourself. It will also help you keep a list of all you have done and all new parts.

I suggest you do it chronologically.

Do the Frame.

Rear axle assembly, rear brakes, and springs/bushings.

Then do the same for the front.

Then the transmission and t case.

Engine and clutch.

Steering, gas tank, clutch pedal pivot, drivelines, dash, rewire, and on and on.......(you set up your "to do" list as you see fit)

I would start out with your strong points first. If you are good with body work, start there. If you are mechanically inclined, then start there instead. This will get you a lot further along before you start getting frustrated.
bob4703 and back9k9 like this.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #10 of 18 Old 01-28-2020, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
back9k9

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMountainGoat View Post
Thanks for that advice. I've thought about a parts Jeep as a way to acquire the needed parts. I'm in the middle of helping my 2 offspring pay for college so $$ in chunks now is kind of tough. Plus, if I brought home ANOTHER Jeep, my wife might make me live in it.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-28-2020, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
back9k9

1979 CJ7 

Let me try to get up to date. I'll post some of the photos in another post.

I'm a little further along now. I was trying to organize my first few posts but didn't realize that some need moderator approval. I'm guessing that's the ones with photos since these text replies seem to go straight through.

-------

I have begun to acquire parts.
My first trip was to NW GA area. A couple different guys there have lots of spare parts. They part out CJs and have a pretty good inventory on-hand and at very reasonable prices as well.

I traded my '79 roll bar for an 80s style roll bar. I like it better and I was able to get some trade value for my original.
I also picked up fuel tank & skid, battery tray, fender support braces, grill support rods, and hood support rod.
Small stuff that I knew I needed and wanted to meet the guys with the parts and see what their inventories looked like.

I did go ahead and disassemble the remaining parts from the tub. Dash, hood, grill, fenders, etc.

There were some bolts in the tailgate hinges and the windshield frame hinges were stripped out and I had to drill those out. I killed the hinges but didnít damage the tub.

Those hinges were totally rusted and frozen anyway.

Iíll look for some the next time I visit my parts guys or worst case, aftermarket.

-------

Picked up 5 wagon wheels (15X8) via Facebook Marketplace.
Theyíll need to be cleaned and painted but for $100, I couldnít pass them up.

--------

I've rebuilt steering column. You folks that describe the process ainít kidding. Getting that little snap ring out of there was a booger.
I replaced a missing Ignition Key Cylinder, Lower Steering Shaft Bearing Kit, and Turn Signal Direction Switch.
Iím pretty happy with it. Iíll finish sanding and give it a fresh coat of paint later.

---------

I scored a 258 ďrunning engineĒ on Facebook Mktplace.

It came out of an í85 Scrambler. I bought it from a really nice state trooper that had just swapped it out. He said PO wasnít 100% sure when, since the Scrambler was his late fatherís but was pretty sure that he had rebuilt it about 10 years ago.
Exactly what I was looking for. Good price and I can hopefully get this thing running without paying for a full engine rebuild. He said it ran strong when he pulled it a couple of months ago.

Also, I came with a good Motorcraft carb (I think 2100) and a power steering pump. Iím very excited with this find.

I know this would be a good time to upgrade the engine but since this is my first time doing this, I really want to keep it as simple as possible.

---------

I scored some seats on Marketplace - Used Bestop high back reclining seats. I think they're TrailMax II. Great shape with brackets.
Check a couple of more things off my list of needs.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-28-2020, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
back9k9

1979 CJ7 

Here are my photos of engine and seats. Very excited about these finds.
It's like this giant puzzle / scavenger hunt.
Attached Thumbnails
2019-12-16 19.15.04.jpg   2019-12-16 20.09.35.jpg   2020-01-27 15.11.04.jpg  
post #13 of 18 Old 01-28-2020, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
back9k9

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
I suggest you start by planning out your build.

Use a binder. Take the first page and list out all the sub groups, such as rear axle assembly, front axle assembly, brakes, transmission, transfercase, engine, steering, etc... Break those down into folders listing what you want to do and what you have already done.

This will accomplish a couple of things. First it will keep you from forgetting/overlooking something that you will have to come back to, such as replacing the clutch after the whole rig is reassembled, or going back and replacing the spring bushings. It will also keep a running list of accomplishments. You will need this later in the build when it seem like you haven't made any progress and are ready to be come a "PO" yourself. It will also help you keep a list of all you have done and all new parts.

I suggest you do it chronologically.

Do the Frame.

Rear axle assembly, rear brakes, and springs/bushings.

Then do the same for the front.

Then the transmission and t case.

Engine and clutch.

Steering, gas tank, clutch pedal pivot, drivelines, dash, rewire, and on and on.......(you set up your "to do" list as you see fit)

I would start out with your strong points first. If you are good with body work, start there. If you are mechanically inclined, then start there instead. This will get you a lot further along before you start getting frustrated.
This is great advice and I appreciate it. I'm recognize the possibility of frustration and definitely don't want to become a PO myself. I've started lists and made up a couple of spreadsheets but I like the idea of binder/folders.

I'm really encouraged by the guidance y'all have provided already!
post #14 of 18 Old 01-28-2020, 09:17 AM
TerryHowe

1949 CJ3A 

Garage
Nice aftermarket valve cover on that 258 too!
back9k9 likes this.

Terry Howe
'49 Willys CJ-3A
post #15 of 18 Old 01-28-2020, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
back9k9

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryHowe View Post
Nice aftermarket valve cover on that 258 too!
Thanks Terry.

Yeah. It was a great find. He was looking for soft half doors for his Scrambler so he took the ones in my first post as partial trade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in