Anyone install a Holley Sniper EFI? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-23-2020, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
slacker130
1986 CJ7 

Anyone install a Holley Sniper EFI?

I've got an '86 CJ-7 that needs some attention. I've owned it for 15 years and I've replaced the Carter carb with the Motorcraft probably 6-8 years back.

It's time to do some engine work because it's running crappy. I'm thinking of pulling the motor and having it rebuilt, but on the re-install, going with the Holley Sniper EFI or something similar. Other things I'm replacing - clutch (T-5), ignition, header, maybe suspension.

Any advice is welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-23-2020, 10:22 AM
cglax6
1976 CJ5 

I'm in the middle of an install for my 351w swap. Everything is in, just haven't run wiring yet.

If you get a Sniper, consider purchasing from efisystempro.com

They have the best customer service and free setup/troubleshooting/timing advice for 2 years. I spent a year asking a thousand questions about the Sniper before buying from them. They were a huge help.

I went with the hyperspark system so I could control timing through the Sniper to dial everything in.

I also opted for the retrofit in-tank returnless fuel pump. It's internally regulated so you don't need a return line.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 08-23-2020, 10:24 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I think the Holley sniper is a wonderful option. My son's 1966 mustang is going to trade its Holley 750 for one soon.

If the motor needs rebuilt, why not find a good used SBC 350 and put a Holley Sniper on that. SBC swaps are probably one of the most economical swaps (non AMC) that can be done because so many have been completed and the required parts are easily available. A stock 350 will do everything a I6 will do and more. Warm it up a bit and you can have a monster. The reason I say 350 is because everybody seems to be putting LS motors in their Hot Rods and selling good running 350s cheap.

Good luck.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-23-2020, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
slacker130
1986 CJ7 

I have kicked around the LS swap, I still have a pull towards as close to stock, but more drive-able.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-23-2020, 02:23 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I can understand the "keeping it stock thing". It is just when things need rebuilt, I lean towards a swap. An LS swap is nicer than a SBC but it gets much more expensive quickly. A SBC and a Sniper is very simple as far as wiring and plumbing. Parts for a SBC are very cheap, and now with LS swaps being so popular, people want to sell their SBC so they can upgrade their Hot Rod.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-23-2020, 04:22 PM
KevinCJ7Jeep
1981 CJ7 

I have been thinking of going with a Snipper. After reading about injector issues and having to send it in for repair, I have held off getting one.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-23-2020, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
slacker130
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinCJ7Jeep View Post
I have been thinking of going with a Snipper. After reading about injector issues and having to send it in for repair, I have held off getting one.
Where did you read about the issues?
post #8 of 15 Old 08-23-2020, 05:29 PM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker130 View Post
Where did you read about the issues?
Possibly here...

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/h...r-efi-4264065/

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-23-2020, 06:03 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

I talked to Holley about the "problems" and the tech told me that 99.9% of the problems they have been having are caused by people not following the instructions.

Dirty fuel lines, omitting filters, not wiring the system correctly...

A plugged injector is generally caused by a piece of foreign material that gets lodged in the injector.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-23-2020, 08:55 PM
KevinCJ7Jeep
1981 CJ7 

Where did you read about the issues?[/QUOTE]

Have read about the issues on multiple forums. This one has an interesting reply from user Skillet.

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ctor-on-Sniper
post #11 of 15 Old 08-24-2020, 04:59 PM
kuss312
1984 CJ7 

I am totally satisfied with my Sniper. It's on a 4.0 block (4.6 Stroker) so its the 2300 version. You get a little creative with the throttle cable attachment, but I have some good pics if you need them.

You mentioned you're swapping the clutch... my mechanical linkage was in pieces so I went with the hydraulic clutch package from Novak and I am really satisfied. Have pics of that too. https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/...hcr3/kit-hcra/ I highly recommend spending a couple hours on the Novak site reading all their tech articles on, well, everything. I ended up with the Novak adjustable throwout bearing too.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-25-2020, 08:56 PM
woodlandjeep
1980 CJ7 

I did the fast EFI on my jeep it was the kit specific to the jeep CJ 258 but can adapt to really any 4 barrel intake. So far very happy with it I modified the Fuel sending unit to take the in tank pump with a return and everything work good including the fuel gauge. I am running HEI dist so not worried about spark control. I will be doing the GM TBI on my 1969 CJ5 with the 4.1L buick even fire engine which matches the GM 4.3 the TBI came off of. The wire harness will be from Affordable EFI and reprogram chip from them also to ensure no check engine light issues. Will use the same pump setup as my Fast EFI which has work perfectly. The TBI setup will cost less the a 4 barrel card to setup and should run awesome. There are many options that have very similar results. Best of luck
post #13 of 15 Old 10-17-2020, 06:21 AM
Jgnobles

cglax6 did you use the holley sniper stock replacement gas tank, and sniper intank pump? I am in the process of buying a sniper system and was wondering has anyone used that tank/pump combo.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-17-2020, 06:55 AM
cglax6
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgnobles View Post
cglax6 did you use the holley sniper stock replacement gas tank, and sniper intank pump? I am in the process of buying a sniper system and was wondering has anyone used that tank/pump combo.
I used the retrofit in tank returnless fuel pump and Hydramat. I had a 21ga aftermarket poly tank from MTS...it was a little taller, so I had to buy the extension for it. I was concerned about cutting a hole in my new tank, but it was an easy install with no issues.

https://www.efisystempro.com/fuel-sy...etrofit-module

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 15 Old 10-17-2020, 09:48 AM
kuss312
1984 CJ7 

I used the Holley in-tank pump (12-307) with a new 15 gal fuel tank from Crown. Works terrific.

Also, I would recommend anybody using the Sniper look at the Holley EFI "Analog Style EFI gauges". I used the Fuel Gauge (which plugs directly to the above in-tank pump/sender).

I also ended up using their Oil Pressure, Water Temp, and Voltmeter. All you do is make connections at each gauge for 12+, 12-, and illumination turn on. Then the gauges all connect to the Sniper brain via a very simple daisy chain system. You need the gauge module 554-130 to make this all happen. It's really great to get rid of the ancient Jeep gauges and REALLY great to get rid of the Jeep voltmeter with its high power wire behind the dash.
https://www.holley.com/brands/holley...le_efi_gauges/

Last edited by kuss312; 10-17-2020 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in