Another low cost option for Power Steering Gear - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By WadeHiersSr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-28-2020, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
WadeHiersSr

Another low cost option for Power Steering Gear

Hey guys.... and gals...

just wanted to mention another (low cost) option that I've had some initial success with for a power steering gear.

to preface... I'm performing a conversion from manual steering to power on an '82 CJ7.

The gear I went with is the Cardone 27-6537. This is the current recommended gear for a Hummer H1. I got it from Amazon for $140 (NO Core deposit if you can believe that!)

https://www.cardone.com/product/27-6537-steering-gear

https://www.amazon.com/Cardone-27-65...0266653&sr=8-1

a couple notes:
. The Jeep "Power steering" pitman arm works on this gear. (if you're converting from manual steering, you'll need a new pitman arm as the manual gear arm has a smaller spline hole.)
. The Jeep "power steering" Tulip (aka Bell) coupler from the steering shaft also works. (this too changed from a smaller coupler on manual boxes, so you'll need to get the power steering coupler if converting from manual)
. This gear uses "seat" style hose connections, so keep that in mind when getting hoses and/or power steering pump.
. The Jeep OEM (and compatible HD aftermarket) mounting brackets will work as well.
. technical operational characteristics are the same as the Jeep OEM gears. (4 turns lock to lock, rotational arc on pitman arm etc)

in the interest of full disclosure, I have not gotten this vehicle back on the road yet (much less "Off-road") as we're performing a full ground up restoration on it. That said, I can only give preliminary thoughts on how it will perform. It definitely feels a lot tighter than the 37 yo manual gear we pulled off. I'm guessing that we're not going to have this old Jeep "feeling" like a modern super tight handling vehicle, but I am pretty confident that it'll be tighter than it did in 1982 (power or manual). As for strength, I honestly couldn't say. Since it's Cardone's OE replacement for the H1, I would expect it to be pretty stout, but since I am not tearing it apart to see the innards, I'm working from assumptions that easily could come back to bite me.

Lastly, for anyone wondering, yes... that is Eastwood's AMC blue engine paint on the parts in the picture. It's a good 2K (2 part Epoxy) paint and only comes in 1 qt cans. I decided to take use it for other undercarriage parts that could use a good strong epoxy paint to use up some of the extra as it took less than 1/4 of the can to paint the entire engine.

Attached Thumbnails
20200128_201306.jpg  
Nucking1Futs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-29-2020, 05:15 PM
tchagnon79

1978 CJ5 

Looks good! Can't believe you were able to get that H1 steering box for that cheap. I just converted my '78 CJ5 this past weekend. Took me a while to even locate a H1 box. Finally Rockauto had stock on a Lares 1430 and I snagged it up, unfortunately I had the core charge. Keep up the good work!
post #3 of 13 Old 01-30-2020, 08:13 PM
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeHiersSr View Post
. This gear uses "seat" style hose connections, so keep that in mind when getting hoses and/or power steering pump.
aka metric o-ring fittings, same as found on '80 and up CJs.

Earlier Saginaw power steering CJs can use '80 and up hoses by swapping the inlet/outlet fittings on their existing pump for the fittings from a junkyard '80+ Saginaw pump.

post #4 of 13 Old 01-31-2020, 04:47 AM
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Thanks for dumbing that down for me. I wasn’t sure what was meant by ‘seat’ style. I was assuming the earlier compression style.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-01-2020, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
WadeHiersSr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post

Earlier Saginaw power steering CJs can use '80 and up hoses by swapping the inlet/outlet fittings on their existing pump for the fittings from a junkyard '80+ Saginaw pump.
To clarify, Seat fittings are not the same as O-ring. According to Cardone, the steering gear they recommend for the CJ7 (at least my year model) is the 27-6534. That steering gear uses O-ring fittings. The OE Power Steering pump would also have used the O-Ring fitting on the high pressure side (meaning that your high pressure hose would have the same O-ring fitting on both ends. The fluid return low pressure hose has a fitting on the gear end but slides onto a barb/nipple with a hose clamp at the pump).

The H1 gear has the Seat fitting. I believe this is also sometimes called an AN fitting. (it's a pretty common fitting in jet aircraft. If you have any buddies that are aircraft mechanics, they'll be very familiar it.)

The reason I mentioned this in my initial write up is because of the difference. If you have the OE pump, and go with this H1 gear box, you'll need adapters for your hoses.

This picture shows what the two fittings look like. This is a male/male adapter which I don't believe is the one needed, as I'm pretty sure the correct answer is a O-ring female/Seat male adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
power steering adapter.jpg  
post #6 of 13 Old 02-03-2020, 03:24 PM
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
[QUOTE=WadeHiersSr;40859855]Hey guys.... and gals...

just wanted to mention another (low cost) option that I've had some initial success with for a power steering gear.

to preface... I'm performing a conversion from manual steering to power on an '82 CJ7.

The gear I went with is the Cardone 27-6537. This is the current recommended gear for a Hummer H1. I got it from Amazon for $140 (NO Core deposit if you can believe that!)

https://www.cardone.com/product/27-6537-steering-gear

https://www.amazon.com/Cardone-27-65...0266653&sr=8-1

a couple notes:
. The Jeep "Power steering" pitman arm works on this gear. (if you're converting from manual steering, you'll need a new pitman arm as the manual gear arm has a smaller spline hole.)
. The Jeep "power steering" Tulip (aka Bell) coupler from the steering shaft also works. (this too changed from a smaller coupler on manual boxes, so you'll need to get the power steering coupler if converting from manual)
. The Jeep OEM (and compatible HD aftermarket) mounting brackets will work as well.
. technical operational characteristics are the same as the Jeep OEM gears. (4 turns lock to lock, rotational arc on pitman arm etc)

in the interest of full disclosure, I have not gotten this vehicle back on the road yet (much less "Off-road") as we're performing a full ground up restoration on it. That said, I can only give preliminary thoughts on how it will perform. It definitely feels a lot tighter than the 37 yo manual gear we pulled off. I'm guessing that we're not going to have this old Jeep "feeling" like a modern super tight handling vehicle, but I am pretty confident that it'll be tighter than it did in 1982 (power or manual). As for strength, I honestly couldn't say. Since it's Cardone's OE replacement for the H1, I would expect it to be pretty stout, but since I am not tearing it apart to see the innards, I'm working from assumptions that easily could come back to bite me.

I don’t understand why you say PN 27-6537 is a H1 steering gearbox?

When I click your link and then enter H1 to see if it fits, no...is not a direct fit. Then when I look at the questions people are asking, they are saying it fits a Firebird or Tempest.

Maybe you can measure it and let me know what the diameter of the round end is? See picture attached. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
034AB883-7B4D-4781-90B2-1D8B9DD52432.jpg   03CD89A2-7C18-4D20-8972-86F53A351B4B.jpg  

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #7 of 13 Old 02-03-2020, 09:09 PM
cpadget

1983 CJ7 

AX, I believe the Cardone number is 27-7595, for the H1. I'm not sure that they are available anymore. I purchased the Lares 1430 last year, also for the Hummer H1. I believe the bore size is slightly over 4", while the stock jeep box is slightly under 4".
post #8 of 13 Old 02-04-2020, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
WadeHiersSr

I'll measure the bore this evening hen I get a chance...I suspect it's the smaller bore.

I wouldn't go on what Amazon says though. I've seen their stuff come up wrong as often as it's right.

go to www.cardone.com and search on their site for 2004 Hummer H1.

If you click the link I included to Cardone's site, then click on "Other Vehicles", you'll find that Cardone recommends this gear for a [email protected] ton of cars.

The 27-7595 is no longer available. Cardone doesn't even have that number in their system any more. Meaning that they don't even have a recommended alternate part. I even called them to ask about options. Unfortunately, their "Certified" reps, are only able to search by application. (basically by vehicle). They (like many others in this industry it seems) are only able to tell you what to get for your vehicle. I had found somewhere that listed all of the specs for the 7595 (4 turns lock to lock, .8 inch/31 spline input, 1.25 inch output.... etc), and was hoping to give those numbers to the guy at Cardone so they could find me a gear, but they have no ability to find a product from the specs.... which seems a bit sad since they obviously have to do so when a car maker is designing a new car.
Attached Thumbnails
Cardone site.jpg  
post #9 of 13 Old 02-04-2020, 01:15 PM
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WadeHiersSr View Post
If you click the link I included to Cardone's site, then click on "Other Vehicles", you'll find that Cardone recommends this gear for a [email protected] ton of cars.
So based on that, Cardone’s site says the PN 27-6537 steering gearbox will fit a bunch of cars....but not a H1. I don’t see where it says this is a H1 steering gearbox.

I suspect the PN 27-6537 steering gearbox is recommended to replace a CJ-7 (among many others) however; it is not a recommended replacement for an H1.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #10 of 13 Old 02-04-2020, 04:03 PM
cpadget

1983 CJ7 

AX, I think you are right on your guess as to it being the smaller and not suited for the H1. I just measured my H1 gear and its 4.25" across.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-04-2020, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
WadeHiersSr

if you go to www.cardone.com, walk your way through the search menus (2004, Hummer, H1) then "find parts"... .then click on "steering gear" under "product line", you'll find 27-6537 in the resulting list. Sometimes their site glitches and doesn't show any steering gears, sometimes it works. Because of that, I was unsure about the accuracy so I called them and spoke with one of their "master mechanics" and was told that this is their recommended gear for the H1.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-04-2020, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
WadeHiersSr

in all likelihood, since the larger bore 7595 was discontinued, this is probably all they have for the H1 anymore.

In the end, it was really cheap(and fixed my core charge issues since most places only give a partial refund if you're exchanging non-like parts), bolted in without issue and as soon as I get this pile of parts reassembled, I'll let you all know how it performs.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-04-2020, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
WadeHiersSr

so... not sure what this says.... it's definitely bigger bore than the oem Jeep... but definitely smaller than the 86MM of the specified H1 gear.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in