Another kit in the BBD, MC2100, or go big with TBI? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By PrincessJ
  • 1 Post By Nucking1Futs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-15-2020, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ

1983 CJ7 

Cj Another kit in the BBD, MC2100, or go big with TBI?

Hmm, as the description states about updated fuel delivery options as I am on the fence about possibly upgrading or leaving alone for now. Im at the crossroads as I approach the cooler months about replacing my worn out choke pull off and thermostat on my pre feedback BBD as well as another rebuild or, replace BBD with a mc2100 I can pick up for next to nothing, or go all out and put TBI set up on it. I do wheel frequently and have the carb setup for climbs, decents, and off camber so this never posed too much an issue aside from the beginning. Ive heard great things about the mc2100/2150 and TBI. I look at long term reliability. Thoughts?

Military service: March 2007-(I will fill this out with im done.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-16-2020, 03:56 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

TBI would be an upgrade and plenty of people have done it, either with the Howell kit or one of the new types such as the Holley Sniper. It would be more long term reliable, both in starting and not going out of tune.

The drawback is that it is not $50, the cost of repairing and servicing your BBD.

The Motorcraft carb gets a good write up, as does a Weber 38. However my experience is that the BBD is a man enough carb and if yours is working right, and you have confidence in it, then it is not an upgrade to move to a difefrent carb.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 10 Old 10-16-2020, 09:23 AM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Lots of times I wind up being point man on something sorta new.

I strive for the best MPGs and any power perks that might come with it.

I'm doing OK now with my Holley 390 and Offy intake on my 258 (what they were called when they made them)

18+ MPGs-----never seen 19 at all when I was keeping track. Power is better than the BBD---MPGs improved 2-3

Jetting up or down 2 sizes did not improve nothing----Out of the box "51"s has been the best, however I do seem to be a little rich.

Anything smaller tends to run too lean. Combo of "feel" (performance), Plug color, air/ fuel ratio gauge is my conscience.

I suspect that even though it is as good as it is, the richness (is here and there) is probably the inefficiency of having a carb.

This:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f.../universal/yes

Is what has my attention now---

Someone else has to be the point man on this one----It's hard to scrape up that kinda fundage right now---I need to know what it is capable of---MPGs?---I'm sure it should maintain proper Air/ Fuel ratio---what I like a lot is using a mechanical pump (stepping up PSI) in another chamber.

----JEEPFELLER

post #4 of 10 Old 10-16-2020, 11:45 AM
Jgnobles

I am looking at the same thing right now. I am leaning towards the holley sniper bbd system for jeep. Hear lots of good stuff but that price is kinda tough. I put a weber on last year but I didnt research my decision very well and ended up with a chinese made weber (SAVE YOUR MONEY). It always had a hesitation I couldnt get out. I am hoping holley will have a black friday sale
post #5 of 10 Old 10-16-2020, 12:46 PM
uptillnow
Web Wheeler

Ms. J

A lot of people are using the Sniper TBI with success. The Howell, while old technology is popular as well works well. I like the ideas of rock climbing at 90 degrees and not having it stall in the middle of your maneuver.
"IMHO", both of these systems are called a "wet manifold", meaning you still need to transport the emulsified air fuel mixture through your hot or cold manifold, in contrast to having 6 port injectors directly firing fuel into the air stream at the back of the intake valve. Again, "IMHO" this is where you will see the most improvement for your upgrade conversion.

So, ported injectors, or wet manifold style TBI???

If you were to go with the wet manifold style TBI, the carburetors are not that much less efficient than them! And for the difference in money, maybe "we" can live with a slightly less "Hi-tech" TBI and go with a carburetor.

There are many here who have a BBD and love them... They have learned the twists and turns of tuning them, and annually rebuilding them. They are getting old and worn have throttle shaft issues that need to be repaired.

The same with the Motocraft 2100/2150, they also work well once set up, but are used and getting old and worn, harder to repair the throttle shafts that are leaking.

Then the new Weber 38-DGES. (NOT the 32/36-DGEV) (As I recall about 6 months ago you had a friend that was going to give you one and you were contemplating the HEI distributor that will compliment all of these carburetors. What happened?)
These parts are readily available and there are many here that can walk you through some simple adjustments, or tuning strategies that are needed from time to time.
There are many many here that went with a NEW Weber 38-DGES and the large cap HEI distributor and are extremely pleased with the results. The NEW Weber 38DGES and a NEW HEI is about $430.00. That is pretty reasonable compared to TBI and if you have the money.

There are also a few that "were sold" the too too small 32/36-DGEV, and or the Chinese clone carburetors that don't work all the time, and without a real Weber, or a real tuning strategy, get less than desirable results and go "whaa whaa I don't like the Weber".

I use and recommend the New Weber 38-DGES and a New HEI. They perform well, work great and last a long time.

UTN
post #6 of 10 Old 10-16-2020, 12:59 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have run a verity of vehicles with a verity of cabs and FI,

IMHO fuel injection is the best choice, and the new self tuning,
self contained units are for great for any vehicle the was delivered
with a carb.

The price of entry is a little steep, but once you are in it's well worth it.

As stated above, there are advantages to the different types of FI
so some study for what you want/need is in order.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #7 of 10 Old 10-17-2020, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
PrincessJ

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptillnow View Post
Ms. J

A lot of people are using the Sniper TBI with success. The Howell, while old technology is popular as well works well. I like the ideas of rock climbing at 90 degrees and not having it stall in the middle of your maneuver.
"IMHO", both of these systems are called a "wet manifold", meaning you still need to transport the emulsified air fuel mixture through your hot or cold manifold, in contrast to having 6 port injectors directly firing fuel into the air stream at the back of the intake valve. Again, "IMHO" this is where you will see the most improvement for your upgrade conversion.

So, ported injectors, or wet manifold style TBI???

If you were to go with the wet manifold style TBI, the carburetors are not that much less efficient than them! And for the difference in money, maybe "we" can live with a slightly less "Hi-tech" TBI and go with a carburetor.

There are many here who have a BBD and love them... They have learned the twists and turns of tuning them, and annually rebuilding them. They are getting old and worn have throttle shaft issues that need to be repaired.

The same with the Motocraft 2100/2150, they also work well once set up, but are used and getting old and worn, harder to repair the throttle shafts that are leaking.

Then the new Weber 38-DGES. (NOT the 32/36-DGEV) (As I recall about 6 months ago you had a friend that was going to give you one and you were contemplating the HEI distributor that will compliment all of these carburetors. What happened?)
These parts are readily available and there are many here that can walk you through some simple adjustments, or tuning strategies that are needed from time to time.
There are many many here that went with a NEW Weber 38-DGES and the large cap HEI distributor and are extremely pleased with the results. The NEW Weber 38DGES and a NEW HEI is about $430.00. That is pretty reasonable compared to TBI and if you have the money.

There are also a few that "were sold" the too too small 32/36-DGEV, and or the Chinese clone carburetors that don't work all the time, and without a real Weber, or a real tuning strategy, get less than desirable results and go "whaa whaa I don't like the Weber".

I use and recommend the New Weber 38-DGES and a New HEI. They perform well, work great and last a long time.

UTN
It was unfortunately the beginning stages of covid season and my travel to his area got postponed indefinately. That weber 38 option is still a viable one for sure. We all seem to agree that out with ford durasark and in with an HEI setup.
uptillnow likes this.

Military service: March 2007-(I will fill this out with im done.)
post #8 of 10 Old 10-17-2020, 10:29 PM
weapon
1983 CJ7 

I rebuilt and changed my carb 3 times before I switched over to tbi. I spent so much money searching on a tuning solution. It was killing my enjoyment of my cj. I finally bit the bullet and got the howell tbi 10 years ago.

It was the single most important upgrade to my CJ. Period.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-18-2020, 02:39 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I would NOT agree that changing the Duraspark system is a step forward:

1. It works
2. It is already installed
3. It costs nothing more
4. The timing curve is well known and factory set.
5. At the next service interval you can upgrade the cap and leads to a Duraspark II spec larger one, they run even better for $0 extra.
6. The distributor was well made in its day, ocassionally modules will fry but they are cheap.
7. The HEI is really no better, it still does the same job of guiding spark to a plug at a fixed time based on engine speed and manifold vacuum.
8. If I wanted something better I would go for Megajolt and Megasquirt with a 4.0HO manifold and coil packs and get more modern timing and injection technology. A bit Fast and Furious maybe.

This is a good explanation of Megajolt fitted on to a Willys tornado engine:
http://www.pavelsuniverse.com/willys/miu.html

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #10 of 10 Old 10-18-2020, 04:44 AM
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJ View Post
Hmm, as the description states about updated fuel delivery options as I am on the fence about possibly upgrading or leaving alone for now. Im at the crossroads as I approach the cooler months about replacing my worn out choke pull off and thermostat on my pre feedback BBD as well as another rebuild or, replace BBD with a mc2100 I can pick up for next to nothing, or go all out and put TBI set up on it. I do wheel frequently and have the carb setup for climbs, decents, and off camber so this never posed too much an issue aside from the beginning. Ive heard great things about the mc2100/2150 and TBI. I look at long term reliability. Thoughts?
Every member here will spend your money all day long and sleep soundly.
It sounds like you are asking us if you're ready to spend a lot of money for EFI system. I ask you, are you ready to spend $1000-1500 to replace your carb?

You stated "leaving it alone for now". So it sounds like you plan to head that way at some point, yes? If so, what is holding you back for converting to some form of TBI/EFI?

If you are not ready, then stop reading and go fix the carb.
If you are ready, I suggest you look into the different designs that will work for your engine, you budget, and skill level.

I am glad I ditched to e-BBD for TBI.
cruiser54 likes this.

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

4.2L w/Howell TBI, T5, D300, Dana 30 w/locker/AMC 20 trac-loc, 3.31 gears

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in