Another ignition electrical question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-09-2020, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
PhillyCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Another ignition electrical question

I am trying to get my CJ project back together and have another electrical question. The ignition module has two plugs coming out of it. One has a handful of wires coming out of it and they are all accounted for. The other has two wires a red and a white. On the other side of the plug there are a few wires and one is unaccounted for and just lose. Thinking it might be a ground but wondering if someone out there had a wiring diagram or could look under the hood of your truck and see is there is a ground coming out of this plug. See pic. The wire I am talking about is the one pointing up to the left. I stripped the end. I took decent pics when i disassembled and it was just hanging there before and the truck ran but I would like to clean up the wiring where I can.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Attached Thumbnails
E4F24FDB-91E8-4EEB-9D09-F026F99332F4_1586439870291.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-09-2020, 08:12 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It would help to know what you are working on. Take a moment and fill out your profile.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old 04-09-2020, 08:38 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I see you have a ballast resistor with a bunch of wires hooked up at one end I would wire it up this way:

r18n09rky9b21.jpg

I'm a little worried about all those wires on one end of your ballast resistor though.

Normally a Ballast resistor is not used but a resistance wire is used. Don't use both. Check the voltage on the + of the coil when you are done.

Name:  unnamed.gif
Views: 29
Size:  29.4 KB

Also If you have an OEM tach, it's wired a little different.
It's also different if you are still using a computer.

So like Matt says, tell us what you got...

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....

post #4 of 5 Old 04-09-2020, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
PhillyCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Thanks guys - profile updated but generally speaking, it is a 1984 / 1980 / 1979 FrankenJeep. Pretty sure there is no computer involved here. How would one tell?

John - happen to have a link or a larger picture of that second diagram?
post #5 of 5 Old 04-09-2020, 09:21 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If the distributor wires connect directly to the ICM, you don't have a computer.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in