AMC20 Rebuild Questions - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 71 Old 09-25-2020, 09:38 AM
jeepers84
1984 CJ7 

I've never seen a set of USA Standard gears that didn't howl after assembly even after set up by a "professional".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 AM
oldschool74cj5

hello

i dont really know about the usa standard gear. other then i believe it is a omix ada company. but for the bearing kit i would take a look at raytech. https://www.ratechmfg.com/toc.htm there shims are made in the usa and are in standard size not metric. i believe there bearings are koyo. they are Japanese bearing but are a oem supplier to alot of car manufacturers. you dont want to do it twice.

oldschool
post #63 of 71 Old 10-04-2020, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

I started the reassembly this evening and then ran into another issue.
The yoke does not fit all the way onto the new pinion. It goes about half way then flips me the bird. I'm sure I could probably press it on if I tried hard enough but right now I am in the "fitment" stage and will need to easily remove it when I get all the clearances set. It slides onto the old yoke without any issues. I took a wire brush and cleaned everything to ensure there wasn't any debris.

Any suggestions.

Old yoke and pinion.

New pinion with old yoke.

Old pinion width.

New pinion width.

post #64 of 71 Old 10-04-2020, 06:15 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Must be a ridge or step in the splines on the new pinion. Hate when that happens. Did a Dana 35 for a friend a while back. Got the new pinion bearing pressed on half way and that was it. Couldn't go in further and couldn't remove it. Ended up cutting the new bearing off. Polished the shaft down about 1 1/2 thousandths (.0015") Genuine Gears (G2 predecessor).
post #65 of 71 Old 10-04-2020, 06:21 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Just out of curiousity. If you tried screwing it down with an old used nut, how much force does it take? Do you have a press or puller to remove it before trying?
post #66 of 71 Old 10-04-2020, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Just out of curiousity. If you tried screwing it down with an old used nut, how much force does it take? Do you have a press or puller to remove it before trying?
My small impact gives out when the yoke gets about half way down the splines. I do not have a puller but was able to beat it off with a hammer. I've already pressed the bearing on so not sure what my options are.
post #67 of 71 Old 10-04-2020, 06:57 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernut View Post
My small impact gives out when the yoke gets about half way down the splines. I do not have a puller but was able to beat it off with a hammer. I've already pressed the bearing on so not sure what my options are.
Then don't try screwing it down. What a bum deal. I would try and return the gears for an exchange. There was a thread on another forum where a guy was all ready to do his final crush tube preload and the thread section broke off the pinion.
post #68 of 71 Old 10-04-2020, 08:27 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

i would try and return. then get a set of the dana svl gears for it. yes they do make a set of gears for the amc 20. at least dana isnt a omix company. rockauto has them.

oldschool
post #69 of 71 Old 10-05-2020, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello

i would try and return. then get a set of the dana svl gears for it. yes they do make a set of gears for the amc 20. at least dana isnt a omix company. rockauto has them.

oldschool
Where did you find the AMC20 R&P? I looked through their site and can only find a R&P set for my make and model if I'm running a Dana axle. https://www.danaaftermarket.com/spic...&partType=PART
post #70 of 71 Old 10-05-2020, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
I would try and return the gears for an exchange.
I'll call Summit and see what my options are. It also sucks that I already pressed down the pinion bearing. Maybe I can talk them into sending replacement bearings also. Another thing I noticed is the bearings that came off were Timken bearings. The ones they sent with the kit were not labeled so I assume they were cheap bearings.
post #71 of 71 Old 10-16-2020, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

I called Summit about the Yoke not fitting and he talked me into buying a new yoke. When it arrived it was a little better but still takes some persuasion to get all the way on. I am getting ready to set my pinion depth but something does not look right.

I have not put on the seal yet but it looks like I am missing a cap or something when I compare mine to a few of the AMC 20 rebuilds I've been watching.

Mine below.

What I typically see.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in