LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 71 Old 09-13-2020, 10:53 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
If you go with the Detroit TruTrack, you don't need the friction modifier
Also Auburns are not rebuildable. It uses cone clutches that bear against mating surfaces in the case. In use, the case wears. Don't know how long it takes to wear a case out. Auburn used to advertise that their limited slips are 30% stronger than a stock diff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 71 Old 09-14-2020, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

My rebuild parts are starting to arrive so I decided it was a good time to clean/paint everything. It took a full day with the wire wheel to get all the dirt and grime off. I then primed and painted everything.

The axle tubes were in desperate need of an enema so I took an old grout/thinset mixer, cut the paddle end off, drill a hole in the end to help support the wire wheel and welded it in place.

The length was perfect and it did a pretty good job.

I'm still waiting on the one-piece axle so I may use this time to clean the garage up.
post #48 of 71 Old 09-14-2020, 02:55 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Wow! Enema is right!!
Attached Thumbnails
enema.jpg  

post #49 of 71 Old 09-16-2020, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

Okay. All of my parts have arrived. My original plan was to use the original bearings, sand them down, and use them to set the backlash. I called a shop near me and they suggested against it stating that the bearing usually get damaged when pulling them. If that is the case should I just purchase the cheapest ones I can find for that axle or should I buy the same ones that are going on it?

Thanks,
Mike
post #50 of 71 Old 09-16-2020, 08:26 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernut View Post
Okay. All of my parts have arrived. My original plan was to use the original bearings, sand them down, and use them to set the backlash. I called a shop near me and they suggested against it stating that the bearing usually get damaged when pulling them. If that is the case should I just purchase the cheapest ones I can find for that axle or should I buy the same ones that are going on it?

Thanks,
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
My AMC 20 has the differential bearing shims located beween the bearing cups and the housing so no need to remove the bearing cone once it's on. The inner pinion bearing cone stays on once it's installed since the shims are between the cup and housing. I installed my bearings using a length of pipe and a hammer. I screw on a cap to the pipe to pound on. When the hammer bounces off the pipe, the bearing is all the way on. If you have access to a press, that's better.
Hopefully your diff shim kit includes diff shims that go between the bearing cup and the housing. then no need to pull the bearings once they're installed.
post #51 of 71 Old 09-17-2020, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

Finally. All the pieces and parts have arrived. It was like Christmas.

I was going to start assembling the rear end this evening but....I screwed up somewhere already.
My new ring gear does not fit the limited slip I purchased. It is a LOT smaller.

I checked the parts and the order and they look correct.

Where did I screw up?
post #52 of 71 Old 09-17-2020, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

Just got off the phone with Summit. Spent about 10 minutes taking measurements and it appears this may have been a returned item. The part number on the box was correct but the ring and pinion were not the correct items.

They are sending a new set out tomorrow.
post #53 of 71 Old 09-17-2020, 06:47 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

While you waiting you can make up some alignment pins to help align the ring gear. Just get a couple 7/16x20 bolts and cut the heads off. Cut screw driver slots with a hack saw to ease removal.

When you removed the carrier from the housing were the shims located between the housing and bearing cups?
post #54 of 71 Old 09-17-2020, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
While you waiting you can make up some alignment pins to help align the ring gear. Just get a couple 7/16x20 bolts and cut the heads off. Cut screw driver slots with a hack saw to ease removal.
That is genius. It took me a few minutes to realize what you were talking about but I never thought about how the ring gear has to be spot on. Did you press yours on with a press or gently love taps with a hammer.

Quote:
When you removed the carrier from the housing were the shims located between the housing and bearing cups?
Yes, they were. You were correct in your last post. I do not need to make any setting bearings.

Although I do believe I need to slightly sand down the original pinion race to make shim adjustments easier correct?
post #55 of 71 Old 09-17-2020, 07:48 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
That is genius. It took me a few minutes to realize what you were talking about but I never thought about how the ring gear has to be spot on. Did you press yours on with a press or gently love taps with a hammer.

Carrier in the freezer and ring gear out in the sun or in the oven and they will slip right together.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #56 of 71 Old 09-17-2020, 08:45 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:

Yes, they were. You were correct in your last post. I do not need to make any setting bearings.

Although I do believe I need to slightly sand down the original pinion race to make shim adjustments easier correct?
If you have a press, that would be a good way to do it. I draw my ring gears on with the bolts tightening cross wise a little at a time. You can use the original pinion race sanded down for setup but there is no guarantee that when you put your new race in the pinion position will not change.
post #57 of 71 Old 09-24-2020, 08:38 PM
aggiejon

1979 CJ7 

4.10s is my next mod. watching...
post #58 of 71 Old 09-24-2020, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

I was hoping to make some progress tonight but.....

I used 80CJs advice and purchased some longer 7/16x20 bolts to pull the ring gear onto the new Detroit TrueTrac.

It worked perfectly. I then applied LockTite to the bolts and tightened them down in a criss-cross pattern. I tried torqueing them to 105 foot pounds but I will need to figure out a way to secure the diff.

I purchased this overhaul kit from summit.

The first bearing went on without issues but the second one is WAY to small. The bearing is actually bigger but there is no way it's fitting on the diff.

Not sure what is going on.
post #59 of 71 Old 09-24-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

I'm actually finding a ton of bad reviews on USA Standard Gear and bearings that do not fit. Very sad.
post #60 of 71 Old 09-25-2020, 12:33 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Next time use red loctite.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in