AMC20 Rebuild Questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 71 Old 09-03-2020, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

Just called their support. Below is the link to the correct part.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtl-912a579

Good catch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 71 Old 09-03-2020, 02:43 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

OP, since you'll be upgrading to 1 piece axles and changing diffs, remember to leave the differential thrust (spacer) block out. It is not needed with 1 piece axles and if left in could possibly lead to axle bearing problems.
post #18 of 71 Old 09-05-2020, 07:33 AM
NormWild
1985 CJ7 

Absolutely spend the money and do at least a TruTrac in the rear. I put one in both rears while I was going through the effort. Mine is mostly a street Jeep as well, but you never know, might get it back on some easy trails one day.

1985 CJ7- 4.5" BDS/Fiberglass Tub/33s/Many Mods

post #19 of 71 Old 09-05-2020, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

Below is my updated parts list and links. Do I still need the Carrier since I am now getting the Limited Slip Diff?

Thanks,
Mike

4.10 Gears $214.50
1-Piece Axle $345.00
Complete Drum Kit $182.97
Diff Master overhaul kit $135.84
Carrier $149.99
Limited Slip Diff $532.45
post #20 of 71 Old 09-05-2020, 01:18 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abernut View Post
I was running 33x12.5 without a lift and the stock gears. My plan for this build is to go with the 4" BDS lift and 35's. Will I ever need it...Probably not but I will look damn good
If you go to 35's plan on doing something about your brakes. Especially if you have nonpower brakes.
post #21 of 71 Old 09-05-2020, 01:54 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

hopefully the one piece axles are mosers. i believe there the only ones now making in the USA. that is what i paid a few months ago from summit for the moser set. i would also check out raytech. they make the shims for the ring and pinion here in the USA also. at least they wont be in metric thickness. they also have a crush sleeve that supposed to be easier to crush and work better. i looked at the kit to remove the crush sleeve with pretty much a shim setup.
https://www.ratechmfg.com/toc.htm

oldschool
post #22 of 71 Old 09-05-2020, 02:15 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hello

hopefully the one piece axles are mosers. i believe there the only ones now making in the USA. that is what i paid a few months ago from summit for the moser set. i would also check out raytech. they make the shims for the ring and pinion here in the USA also. at least they wont be in metric thickness. they also have a crush sleeve that supposed to be easier to crush and work better. i looked at the kit to remove the crush sleeve with pretty much a shim setup.
https://www.ratechmfg.com/toc.htm

oldschool
I looked at that crush sleeve and I wonder if it will maintain preload as well as a conventional crush sleeve. I'm not a big guy and have done a number of crush sleeve rearends (D35, AMC 20, Ford 8.8) and I never had any problem crushing the sleeves but I have always done gear setup with the axle removed from the vehicle and on a pair of saw horses. For crushing the sleeve, I've used a 3/4 drive sliding T-bar with a 4 foot pipe extension but it got the job done and made crushing the sleeve a gradual process so I could check preload status without crushing too much.
post #23 of 71 Old 09-05-2020, 06:30 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

when i have done gear changes with the crush sleeves and also with spacer and shims to set the bearing preload. i wondered the same about if it holds well but i also saw they have you put quite a bit of thread lock on the pinion nut.
after the first time of doing a gear swap under a old k5 blazer for a buddy. i have done the rest of them on a bench and the axle sitting on a set of jack stands. it is definitely easy to remove the axle from under the vehicle. i would even leave the springs still attached. so removing was unhook the brake hose and cables, drive shaft, shocks, pull the front and rear bolts from the spring and out.

oldschool
post #24 of 71 Old 09-05-2020, 08:35 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

You gotta be a pretty strong guy to crush a sleeve lying under the darned vehicle. I know guys do it with impact tools but I wonder how much control they have. When I do setup, I set my pinion preload at a value 1/2 way between max and min. spec. when I do final setup with the crush sleeve, I try to target that setting. That way less chances of pinion depth changing.
post #25 of 71 Old 09-05-2020, 10:37 PM
RiverandSand
1980 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Below is my updated parts list and links. Do I still need the Carrier since I am now getting the Limited Slip Diff?

Thanks,
Mike

4.10 Gears $214.50
1-Piece Axle $345.00

No the LSD is a carrier, just be sure it is the correct one the for the gear ratio you plan to run. A tip when you start your install/setup, use the original shims installed in their perspective locations, this will give you a starting point.
post #26 of 71 Old 09-06-2020, 01:08 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverandSand View Post
No the LSD is a carrier, just be sure it is the correct one the for the gear ratio you plan to run. A tip when you start your install/setup, use the original shims installed in their perspective locations, this will give you a starting point.
Yep and especially the pinion depth (inner pinion bearing) shims.
post #27 of 71 Old 09-06-2020, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool74cj5 View Post
hopefully the one piece axles are mosers oldschool
Yes, they are the Moser One-Piece Axles.

The Diff overhaul kit is from Revolution Gear and Axle. I read good reviews about the Timken Bearings. Below is the description of the kit. Not sure how this compares to the Ratech parts.

Revolution Gear and Axle AMC Model 20 Master Overhaul Kits come with all the necessary parts to ensure your differential job is a success. Revolution Master Overhaul Kits come with top quality Timken Bearings and National seals. Our Kits also include: Pinion seal, Pinion Shims, Carrier Shims, Pinion Nut, Gasket or Sealant, Preload Shims or Crush Sleeve, Ring Gear Bolts, Gear Marking Compound and Loctite.
post #28 of 71 Old 09-06-2020, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
abernut

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
You gotta be a pretty strong guy to crush a sleeve lying under the darned vehicle. I know guys do it with impact tools but I wonder how much control they have. When I do setup, I set my pinion preload at a value 1/2 way between max and min. spec. when I do final setup with the crush sleeve, I try to target that setting. That way less chances of pinion depth changing.
I'm not the biggest guy in the gym but I don't think I will have any issues with the crush sleeve. The axle is currently on two big saw horses. And what ever I can't do with brute force I can find a big lever to do the rest.
post #29 of 71 Old 09-06-2020, 12:54 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
I'm not the biggest guy in the gym but I don't think I will have any issues with the crush sleeve. The axle is currently on two big saw horses. And what ever I can't do with brute force I can find a big lever to do the rest.
Off the vehicle is not a problem and actually the better way to do the rebuild since you have easy access to everything. Yep, a length of pipe will do.
post #30 of 71 Old 09-08-2020, 07:33 AM
NormWild
1985 CJ7 

Quote:

Thanks,
Mike

4.10 Gears $214.50
1-Piece Axle $345.00
Carrier $149.99
I assume you are aware, but don't see it listed here. You will also need to do matching gears in your front axle as well.

1985 CJ7- 4.5" BDS/Fiberglass Tub/33s/Many Mods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in