• 1 Post By Matt1981CJ7
  • 1 Post By jeepdaddy2000
  • 1 Post By BagusJeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-17-2020, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Rebel_Ray
1933 CJ5 

AMC 304 Carb choices

Howdy folks! I just recently got my CJ5 back from getting painted and am ready to move on to engine work. Currently the 304 under the hood has a Motorcraft 2100 with a worn out choke on it. Needless to say it runs like crap till its warmed up. Im currently a master student at Texas A&M so I wont be doing the cam and exhaust until I get my own place. I plan on changing the cam and exhaust eventually though. My question is what carb should I go with in the meantime? Im thinking just a stock replacement for my current 2100 (1.08 Venturi size I think). The Jeep is a 73 and the egr was disabled when I acquired the vehicles. What do yall think in terms of the right carb/cfm combo? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-17-2020, 12:03 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you truly do plan to upgrade the cam and exhaust at some point, you might as well upgrade to a 4-bbl intake at that time, too. In which case, I'd just throw a cheap rebuilt 2100 back on there for now, then upgrade to a 4-bbl, or FI, when you rebuild the engine.

Matt
Shawn Watson likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old 02-17-2020, 10:30 PM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

I run a Holley 470 truck avenger on my 304 CJ7 easy to set up and works well on side hills, better than anything else I ran in the past on my jeep.
Many of these guys [from what I understand] like to run a 4 bbl. Rochester Quadrajet, I found them to be a pain to set up personally, but each to there own.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-19-2020, 06:03 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Currently the 304 under the hood has a Motorcraft 2100 with a worn out choke on it. Needless to say it runs like crap till it’s warmed up.
Could simply be a choke adjustment issue. There are a TON of threads on how to do this. Might be a good, simple, cheap first step.
RedNeckCorvette likes this.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #5 of 9 Old 02-19-2020, 09:55 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I was not aware the choke was very complex on the 2100. You have a hot air or electric choke can that turns when hot, which pulls the flaps open. There is a secondary vacuum pull off that works when the engine is running. Nothing complex, needs adjusting to get it to work clean.

A carb rebuild kit is $15, plus can of cleaner. This may be all you need to get it running good.
RedNeckCorvette likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #6 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Rebel_Ray
1933 CJ5 

From my fiddling with the carb, and I may be completely wrong here, it feels like whatever the mechanical interaction between the throttle shaft and the choke shaft has some sort of flaw in it. Like the choke wont close all the way (regardless of temp) if there is no throttle applied. I think the cams between the throttle and choke is worn or broken in some way. Not sure if that makes sense or not, what would a good resource be for me to learn more about this carb?

post #7 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 01:18 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_Ray View Post
From my fiddling with the carb, and I may be completely wrong here, it feels like whatever the mechanical interaction between the throttle shaft and the choke shaft has some sort of flaw in it. Like the choke wont close all the way (regardless of temp) if there is no throttle applied. I think the cams between the throttle and choke is worn or broken in some way. Not sure if that makes sense or not, what would a good resource be for me to learn more about this carb?

This would be a good place to start.

https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Mot...al_ep_422.html

matt

post #8 of 9 Old 02-20-2020, 11:50 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

starting procedure is to stamp on throttle twice. Check the MC2100 but in most carbs this injects some fuel and puts the choke fully on and sets butterflies to fast idle. By loosening the choke can you can turn it to adjust the close of the throttle plate.

Sounds like something simple anyway.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #9 of 9 Old 02-21-2020, 06:07 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_Ray View Post

The choke is mechanically held open until the throttle is pumped (how many pumps is vehicle/carb dependent).

Again there are a million writeups on how to set up the choke on this forum
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/f...5-cj5-4295521/

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in