• 1 Post By oldschool74cj5
  • 1 Post By HoDad
  • 1 Post By Tinker0000
  • 1 Post By JEEPFELLER

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-11-2021, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
verreaul

1976 CJ7 

AMC 258 Oil Filter Sizes (are they interchangeable?)

I noticed you can obtain 2 different oil filter sizes for an AMC 258 depending on the year.
Older models use a larger diameter filter (like a WIX 51258 3.66"diameter) and the newer models use a smaller diameter filter (like a WIX51522 2.9"diameter).

I always used the larger diameter filter on mine but mistakenly ordered a few smaller diameter filters a while back.
(I have a 76 CJ7 with an early 80's drivetrain).

I'm too late to return them and was wondering if I could use them.
I have not compared them side by side yet to see if the housing/mating areas are the same.

Just wondering if someone knows offhand if they are interchangeable.
If not, I'll just order the larger filter before I do my next oil change.

Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-11-2021, 06:14 PM
oldschool74cj5

hello

i really dont think it matters as long as the threads and the gasket diameter is the same.

oldschool
NormWild likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-11-2021, 07:01 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
I always use a Fram PH25 for my CJ-5s since forever ago. (Well, since 1981 anyway)

This was one of the mainstays that got spit out when any Parts store book or computer had my Jeep's info was submitted into it.

Then kinda all of a sudden for some reason no one carried them in their inventory. I used to get them even cheaper at Walmart.

Anymore, a same size different brand ain't in inventory.

Check this out......I decided in the beginning, when I could not get one "now".....I'd have them cross reference the PH25 to another brand.....BAM! got one!.....I watched them cross it (I had it crossed in another store later on)!

I do not recall the brand(s) or numbers, it was the same size can, I even screwed it up on there and fired up the engine. Immediately, oil shot out from around it and I shut it down.

Beings that I had already trashed the PH25, I never compared the gasket circumference with the imposter oil filter.............I fished it out of the trash and found the imposter's gasket was a width larger and was barely touching the seal surface of my engine block.

Lesson learned (many times over again), Compare any Jeep part to the old one, before you dive in!

There has been a time or two that I bowed down and used the smaller filter that they looked up.....It did fit.....But I still did not like it.

I now order and buy 2 or 3 PH25s at a time from the parts store so that I always will have one on hand.

-----JEEPFELLER

post #4 of 14 Old 02-11-2021, 07:23 PM
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

More than once on 'ruff' trails I've seen the larger OD filters punctured by the engine mount.
My '85 came with the smaller diameter filter and have use such since 1985.

Have'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men
post #5 of 14 Old 02-12-2021, 07:41 AM
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by verreaul View Post
I noticed you can obtain 2 different oil filter sizes for an AMC 258 depending on the year.
Older models use a larger diameter filter (like a WIX 51258 3.66"diameter) and the newer models use a smaller diameter filter (like a WIX51522 2.9"diameter).

I always used the larger diameter filter on mine but mistakenly ordered a few smaller diameter filters a while back.
(I have a 76 CJ7 with an early 80's drivetrain).

I'm too late to return them and was wondering if I could use them.
I have not compared them side by side yet to see if the housing/mating areas are the same.

Just wondering if someone knows offhand if they are interchangeable.
If not, I'll just order the larger filter before I do my next oil change.

Thanks
John
Wix 51258 fits the V8. Wix 51522 fits the I6. Since a '76 could have had the V8 or the I6 engines, it's more likely you just selected the wrong parameters when you ordered. The threads should match but I believe you will have issues with the Wix 51258 gasket matching up to the sealing surface of your 258.

Edit: Just re-read your post and seems you've already been using the larger 51258 filter?
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 9.59.49 AM.jpg   Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 9.59.05 AM.png  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-12-2021, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
verreaul

1976 CJ7 

I can see from the WIX specs above that the inner and outer gasket diameters are very close for both filters.

Trivial, but does anyone know if the oil filter housings on the older/newer motors are same/different?

John
post #7 of 14 Old 02-12-2021, 04:56 PM
Hurricane4
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Garage
I can confirm the 51258 filter is used on the 304 V8. This is the oil filter I purchase for the 304 in my '79 CJ5:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-51258

Don't know if the oil filter housing on older/newer engines are same/different.

"The unbelievable we can do immediately . . . the impossible just takes a little longer."
My College Accounting Professor

"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"
Winston Churchill

Jeeps I Have Owned in Year Order:
'61 CJ5, '63 CJ6, '78 CJ5, '79 CJ5 (Current), '79 CJ7 & '86 CJ7.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-12-2021, 05:23 PM
Joncure

1985 CJ7 

There are some archived posts here that discuss this in greater detail. At some point, the I6 blocks were manufactured without the pressure bypass valve (where filter screws on) because newer generation oil filters were being made with pressure bypass valves inside the filters.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-12-2021, 06:45 PM
cjoffroad

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joncure View Post
At some point, the I6 blocks were manufactured without the pressure bypass valve (where filter screws on) because newer generation oil filters were being made with pressure bypass valves inside the filters.
This change occurred in 1987 for the 4.2L and 4.0L blocks going forward to utilize the in-filter bypass. The thread size also changed to metric.
screen-shot-2021-02-12-8.53.42-pm.jpg
In 1991 it changed again for the 4.0L after the 4.2L was phased out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-12-2021, 09:25 PM
HoDad
1981 CJ5 

I have a rebuilt '79 258 in my 1981 Jeep. I've been using a Wix 51258 for the past 12 years. No fit or leak problems at all.
cjoffroad likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-13-2021, 03:07 PM
Tinker0000
1984 CJ7 

Cool thing about the internet, there is an awesome website that automatically crosses an oil filter so you can find it elsewhere. https://www.oilfilter-crossreference...vert/Fram/PH25
cjoffroad likes this.

1984 Jeep CJ7 258 Spring Special edition.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-16-2021, 08:06 PM
PhillyDak

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks. Good info.

Don't tread on me!
post #13 of 14 Old 02-21-2021, 07:32 PM
Jgnobles

Thanks I was looking for this also
post #14 of 14 Old 02-22-2021, 09:29 AM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
Check out my "post 3" above!

I used the link Tinker0000 posted and began to see if I could find a filter in which the specs did not match.....Pretty much they don't show the specs for the crossed to filters (which

makes no sense to me).

I rely on "CROSS" to be an exact duplicate of what I don't have....Just in another brand......Or IN AN EXTREME SITUATION, "a different CAN SIZE" with the same exact

"MOUNTING" characteristics as the one I that I cannot find......to me, this works just fine.

I've already spent some time looking in this link above.

I'm not saying that many of these are wrong crosses.

But sure as the world, If I were in a hurry and did not compare old with new, I would get the wrong animal again!

This is sorta how they WEASEL out of providing a correct perfect match in that link with just this one filter I crossed.....It still may be a a guessing game! Wasted time out the

counter (threads sizes would slow me way down---or finding out 20 miles away, in your driveway would be a real pizzer) See pic below

Again, it's best to have extra of the right thing in your stock at home....ahead of time!

To add a little more icing on the cake!

Any part---no matter what---especially a "CORE"----Never surrender it to them, until the new part is installed and proven to work correctly (the $$$ you think you need NOW will

mean nothing, if you received a part

that is not the same as what you started with.

You might spend (up to forever) of your time searching for that SPECIAL AND UNIQUE THING that you can no longer have to compare to......it's gone forever!

-----JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
cross oil filter.jpg  
cjoffroad likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in