AMC 20 solid axle leaky seal - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-17-2020, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
MomoJeep
1983 CJ8 

AMC 20 solid axle leaky seal

I have the Moser 1pc axles and the seal leaks. A shop said the retainer or backing plate was warped. They said the "did their best" to flatten in, but now it leaks again. How does this happen?

I've also heard some 1-pc axle kits require proper shimming and this could be the reason?

Anyone know how to make the seal stop leaking?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-17-2020, 07:44 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes, they need proper shimming and sometimes there is a center block in the differential that has to be removed in order for the axle to go in all the way.

Typical instructions:

https://www.morris4x4center.com/pdf/8586k.pdf

https://static.summitracing.com/glob.../MGR-amc20.pdf

https://ocd4wd.com/2017/09/11/amc20-1piece-swap/

If they just threw the parts in without taking measurements it could be sitting out too far warping your backing plate causing leaks.
schardein likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
post #3 of 7 Old 03-18-2020, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
MomoJeep
1983 CJ8 

I guess I should add that I drove it for years without a leak. But when the shop took it apart they found a warped seal-plate. I'm confused how it can work fine fir many years and then one day it is leaking and warped?

post #4 of 7 Old 03-19-2020, 10:23 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomoJeep View Post
I guess I should add that I drove it for years without a leak. But when the shop took it apart they found a warped seal-plate. I'm confused how it can work fine fir many years and then one day it is leaking and warped?
Yeah that's a mystery. The outer end of the axle actually requires RTV between the backing plate and housing flange, then the outer seal sits against the backing plate and requires RTV to seal the seal plate against the backing plate so if the backing plate gets warped you actually have two surfaces that may leak. If the warp is just slight, perhaps a machinist can take a slight cut off the side that seals the housing flange side then use a thick gasket with RTV to seal the outer seal. Just a thought.Probably the best thing is to locate another backing plate.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-19-2020, 05:05 PM
skizriz

1978 CJ7 

Ive always had problems with getting a good seal at the backing plate where 80cj described, due to the oil and grease and not being able to really get in there. The trick for me was always a complete tear down, cleaning, new seals, and silicone the seal plate to the backing plate, the day before assembly.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-20-2020, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
MomoJeep
1983 CJ8 

A user named "Windknot" posted on this some years ago..

If when you reassembled the backing plate to the axle flange and didn't make ABSOLUTELY sure the surfaces were spotlessly clean from grease/oil and completely flat, the silicone adhesive will NOT seal.

Putting the assembly back together all at once almost requires two men and a boy. Since I'm usually in no hurry I do it in two steps with time for the silicone to set up between steps.

Here's how I do it:

Step one is cleaning everything and making absolutely sure the mating surface of the backing plate is absolutely flat. Then I attach the outside seal to the backing plate and use the bolts to hold it together while the silicone sets up. I then call it a day and find myself an adult beverage worthy of consumption.

The next day after it's set up, I back the bolts out and then mount the assembly to the flange. This way I'm not fighting slipping an axle in while trying to keep all the silicone goo out of where it doesn't belong. Everything is MUCH easier with the only wet silicone on the axle flange. This way there aren't too many moving parts.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-20-2020, 08:48 PM
skizriz

1978 CJ7 

I do believe thats where I learned it from.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in