AMC 20 Locker Advice Needed! - JeepForum.com
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 Old 08-21-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
InjectedCJ7
1978 CJ7 

AMC 20 Locker Advice Needed!

During my recent adventure climbing hills at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes Jeep Invasion, I realized that I could benefit from adding a locker to my 78 CJ7. I was able to climb all the hills, but sometimes it took a few attempts to make it. My problem isn't power - the 350 TPI engine has more than enough torque. I have 3.54 gears and 32 x 11.5" Mud King tires. I have a T-18a four speed trans with a 6.32 creeper gear.

My question is: what do you think the best choice would be for my particular situation. The Jeep is mostly used for cruising around town, but I do like the dunes, and trails. I'm not into rock climbing, and I wouldn't classify my wheeling as 'intense' by any means.

I have been strongly considering a Detroit Trutrac, as they supposedly have great road manners and decent traction capability. From what I've read, the rear axle is the best place for a locker if you're climbing hills, due to weight transfer. I'm also considering a cheaper alternative, like a lunchbox locker, but I don't want to create a problem with street use. Electric or Air lockers would be great, but do their benefits justify the steep cost?

I know this topic has been discussed in many posts over the years, but I'd like to hear some fresh opinions based on my needs. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Regards,
John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 08-21-2019, 09:09 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

For $353 more than a trutrac just get an ARB selectable. There is nothing better than being able to leave that thing off the 95% of the time you don't need it.

I've run every type of locker in one vehicle or another over the years. The trutrac has pretty good road manners, but you'll still know it's there in the high speed corners. I prefer open diff for street driving and I'll never do anything but a selectable ever again. If I don't have the money for one, I'll wait till I do, or stay open.
trailhead2004 likes this.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 42 Old 08-21-2019, 09:26 AM
Anywherebuthere

Agree with the selectable. I drive my '78 around a ton and I love the OX selectable lockers I have front and rear. Definitely feel it's worth the extra money if you drive your Jeep around town frequently. Keeps the driveability and let's you lock up when you really need it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 42 Old 08-21-2019, 11:15 AM
trailhead2004
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
For $353 more than a trutrac just get an ARB selectable. There is nothing better than being able to turn that thing off the 95% of the time you don't need it.

I've run every type of locker in one vehicle or another over the years. The trutrac has pretty good road manners, but you'll still know it's there in the high speed corners. I prefer open diff for street driving and I'll never do anything but a selectable ever again. If I don't have the money for one, I'll wait till I do, or stay open.
I'm with Tipped on this!
post #5 of 42 Old 08-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Hoover7

1984 CJ7 

I've also been looking into a selectable locker for my current project, but haven't purchased anything as of yet. Personally, I really like the idea of a cable over air just for simplicity's sake. But that's just my humble opinion that could sway as I get closer to pulling the trigger.

But, just wanted to throw this out there as FYI. I've never seen this mentioned on the forum anywhere, and perhaps it's common knowledge, but when I call in orders to Quadratech and mention that I'm a JF member, they give me a 5 or 10% discount- can't remember which. With a pricey item like a ARB or another selectable locker, that could easily save an additional 30 bucks or better, and would be worth the phone call at the very least. There's not an option to claim that discount with a web order.

Just something else to think about as you try and shave some cost - especially if you are considering buying a new unit.

Best,
Hoover

Edit: Did some looking (took a while), and found this posting from Quadratech.
MikeyDeezy likes this.

82 CJ7 Laredo Ltd, 258, T5, frame off resto/rebuild planned
83 CJ8 Scrambler, 360, T176, EFI, in progress
84 CJ7 Renegade, 258, T5, Weber 38, Cliffordized, Borla headers
post #6 of 42 Old 08-21-2019, 08:57 PM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post
I've also been looking into a selectable locker for my current project, but haven't purchased anything as of yet. Personally, I really like the idea of a cable over air just for simplicity's sake. But that's just my humble opinion that could sway as I get closer to pulling the trigger.

But, just wanted to throw this out there as FYI. I've never seen this mentioned on the forum anywhere, and perhaps it's common knowledge, but when I call in orders to Quadratech and mention that I'm a JF member, they give me a 5 or 10% discount- can't remember which. With a pricey item like a ARB or another selectable locker, that could easily save an additional 30 bucks or better, and would be worth the phone call at the very least. There's not an option to claim that discount with a web order.

Just something else to think about as you try and shave some cost - especially if you are considering buying a new unit.

Best,
Hoover

Kinda getting off topic but to simplify my selectable air locker install I tied into my existing c02 tank and used a mechanical toggle switch to turn it on and of. No electricity or solenoid involved. So easy to use 5mm nylon air line and push lock fittings everywhere. I can change all my 5 mm air line in under 10 mins if I needed to. I keep a 20’ roll in my tool bag. Literally all I need is a razor blade.
Hoover7 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 42 Old 08-22-2019, 12:26 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Personally, I prefer a tru trac. They are virtually invisible,and they lack the added hoses or cables that can go south. They are also less money to install. For the price of a selectable, you could just about get two tru trac's, one front and one for the rear.

If you decide on an selectable, I would recommend a set of one piece axles as well.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from it's government
Thomas Payne
post #8 of 42 Old 08-22-2019, 02:05 AM
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjectedCJ7 View Post

My question is: what do you think the best choice would be for my particular situation. The Jeep is mostly used for cruising around town, but I do like the dunes, and trails. I'm not into rock climbing, and I wouldn't classify my wheeling as 'intense' by any means.
For your situation listed above, a selectable locker would be overkill in both cost and the locker type. For your non to light wheeling needs, why go through a carrier change and gear set up. That’s a lot of cost and labor for a locker that can be done much easier.

For260 bucks (unless they’ve gone up), get an Aussie locker and put it in your front axle. It replaces the spider gears only so no ring gear swap over and set up needed. Installs in an hour or so and is easily reversed back to open diff if you want to remove it later. In a CJ with front locking hubs, it is invisible when in 2wd. It locks solid when it has driveshaft tension and breaks free around corners when not under load.
I installed one in the front of my Scrambler because that is where I have the most weight (under the engine), I needed help climbing up onto ledges / rocks/ logs, etc. and I wanted to keep the rear open for non change in the street feel...I had a Detroit in another one and it was squirrelly at times.
I was very pleased with the results. It climbed and went places that it would not even think of before.

Don’t get me wrong, selectable units are the “best” and ARBs are going into my dedicated rock crawler front and rear, but for your described usage, I think a simple lunchbox unit will give you the results needed.
downs likes this.

Ed
1975 CJ-6 1983 CJ-8
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
post #9 of 42 Old 08-22-2019, 07:58 AM
jsal

1978 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjectedCJ7 View Post
During my recent adventure climbing hills at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes Jeep Invasion, I realized that I could benefit from adding a locker to my 78 CJ7. I was able to climb all the hills, but sometimes it took a few attempts to make it. My problem isn't power - the 350 TPI engine has more than enough torque. I have 3.54 gears and 32 x 11.5" Mud King tires. I have a T-18a four speed trans with a 6.32 creeper gear.

I have a 78 Jeep CJ-5 with 304 3:54's t-176 and 31" tires and ARB lockers. I find that lockers are not much help in the sand at Silver Lake, I very rarely use them there. For trails the lockers are great. IMO Sand is HP and flotation (achieved by low air pressure and or wide tires) I run 31x10.5 at 5-7 psi. I added bead locks to keep the rims from spinning in the tires.

1978 Jeep CJ-5
post #10 of 42 Old 08-22-2019, 08:59 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I got a question for you guys.
if you have a Aussie locker in the front with the hubs engaged. Does it hurt the steering?
In the winter, I like to run with the front hubs locked ready to slip into 4WD as needed.

When plowing around here, you have to pile the snow up on the owners property, There are deep drainage ditches and sometimes you miscalculate a little and two wheels in the air, one on each axle, make it hard to pull back.

post #11 of 42 Old 08-22-2019, 09:31 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
if you have a Aussie locker in the front with the hubs engaged. Does it hurt the steering?
In the winter, I like to run with the front hubs locked ready to slip into 4WD as needed.

When plowing around here, you have to pile the snow up on the owners property, There are deep drainage ditches and sometimes you miscalculate a little and two wheels in the air, one on each axle, make it hard to pull back.
I can tell you on snow they are fine and it's not a problem. I can not speak to ice. I never tried it on ice.

post #12 of 42 Old 08-22-2019, 11:02 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post

With the plow on the front, I would expect that you will have enough weight over the front axle to keep traction and allow the locker to ratchet in snow and ice when turning. Without the plow, there may not be enough traction on ice for it to ratchet around a corner.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #13 of 42 Old 08-22-2019, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
InjectedCJ7
1978 CJ7 

Just to let everyone know, I'm watching the posts closely, and appreciate everyone's thoughts! I didn't want to post responses too soon, as I want to get as many opinions and reasons as possible before I pull the trigger. Keep the thoughts coming, as they are very helpful in my decision-making process!

Regards,
John
post #14 of 42 Old 08-22-2019, 11:06 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover7 View Post

Best,
Hoover

The cable locker does take out the need for air, but... everyone I know with a cable locker is always dealing with it being in proper adjustment to fully engage, so it isn't completely fool proof and simple. I do like the fact that OX now has a screw in slug that will lock the diff if the cable has issues, also can add an air cylinder or electric solenoid to engage the locker, but to me they looks susceptible to rock damage being mounted at the axle tube center line.
Hoover7 likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #15 of 42 Old 08-22-2019, 12:33 PM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

Selectable rear axle. Aussie front axle. End thread/. Hahahaha.
Fourtrail likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in