After driving CJ will start but quickly stalls out and won't run - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-19-2020, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Joncure
1985 CJ7 

After driving CJ will start but quickly stalls out and won't run

Hey all!
I was out for a nice drive today and all was well until jeep sat for a couple of hours. It would start but it quickly stalled out and I can't keep it running no matter how much or little gas I would give her.

Was wondering if it were fuel filter, but if that were clogged, I shouldn't be able to get it running at all. Was wondering if maybe choke plates on my Weber 38 may not be opening? If I depressed accelerator before starting, it usually would turn over but would stall again no matter how much fuel I gave it.

Other details that are probably not related; topped off gas before drive and also added bottle of sea foam. Sometimes engine after running a while will sputter when I turn key off.

Carb issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-20-2020, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Joncure
1985 CJ7 

Nothing? I'm bumping this post back to the top! I'll be tearing into the issue in a few minutes.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-20-2020, 07:18 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

My usual first step in these cases is to determine if it's fuel or ignition related. Pulling a few plugs will usually provide some clues.

You can pull the top of the air cleaner assembly off to check the operation of the choke.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-20-2020, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Joncure
1985 CJ7 

There you are Matt! Thanks. Just like you said, I'll be examining the carb and checking some plugs. I'll be back if I can't find the issue after a while.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-20-2020, 08:57 AM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Almost sounds like a choke issue, but hard to say without actually looking at it. Is it electric or heat stove?

You may want to pull the dipstick as make sure it doesn't smell like gas. If you are running excessively rich, you may be getting it into the crankcase.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

post #6 of 9 Old 03-20-2020, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Joncure
1985 CJ7 

Thanks Cutlass and Matt. After looking over the carb, I found a vacuum cap that was about to split in two. The amateur mechanic in me said, "that there's your problem" Put new cap on and she roared to life and drove away. Vacuum leaks will mess everything up! I also checked half the spark plugs and they looked like this: (see pic) the white hot look. Does this mean mix is too lean?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1648.jpg  
post #7 of 9 Old 03-20-2020, 01:05 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

The vacuum leak will give you a lean condition.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

post #8 of 9 Old 03-20-2020, 01:19 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joncure View Post
Thanks Cutlass and Matt. After looking over the carb, I found a vacuum cap that was about to split in two. The amateur mechanic in me said, "that there's your problem" Put new cap on and she roared to life and drove away. Vacuum leaks will mess everything up! I also checked half the spark plugs and they looked like this: (see pic) the white hot look. Does this mean mix is too lean?
Way lean. Hopefully the vac leak was the culprit.

Just to be safe, I'd probably run thru the air/fuel mixture screws adjustment on your carb. Do you have any way to test your fuel pressure? I run a cheap FLAPS fuel pressure gauge between my fuel filter and carb.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
FuelGauge.jpg  

post #9 of 9 Old 03-20-2020, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Joncure
1985 CJ7 

Thanks Matt. I do not have a way to test fuel pressure at this time. And as for carb adjustments, I installed it summer of 2018 and with no adjustments, it roared right up so I have not adjusted anything yet. I've never dove into carb adjusting so it would all be new to me (therefore afraid to mess it up worse) but if mix needs adjusting I'll just have to go for it. I'll wait a few miles and recheck plugs after capping off vacuum leak. I believe she idles a little high too, I don't have tach installed but I'd guess around 1000rpm at operating temp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in