Absolute easiest axel swap for widetrack cj7 - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 07-08-2020, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
hbtownsend

Absolute easiest axel swap for widetrack cj7

My amc 20 pissed gear oil out the side all over my drive way and honestly I don’t even think it’s worth rebuilding I’m looking for an easy upgrade beside the obvious 44 widetrack that came stock in the 86 cj cause they’re almost impossible to find. It’s a an 84 and I’m thinking wags scouts or j20s but idk which ones if any will hopefully just bolt in if I’m gonna have to modify them no matter what then I’d probably just go with a 60 70 Dana swap but if anyone here knows of any that will simply bolt in idc how wide they stick out by the way I’m from Iowa and we don’t have an fender regulations please jeep gurus help me lol

Just swapped a t18 in behind the 304 with a Dana 20 besides that it’s mostly sock besides the ridiculous lift that’s on it lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-08-2020, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
hbtownsend

Oh also if anyone has any tips for just fixing the amc 20 that could be helpful
post #3 of 22 Old 07-08-2020, 09:35 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Easiest would be to call up a company like Currie (or a similar company) and have them build what you want. Be ready to let go of a lot of cash.

post #4 of 22 Old 07-08-2020, 09:37 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Easiest thing is to fix the leak........

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #5 of 22 Old 07-08-2020, 09:39 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
Is it leaking on the inside of the tire? That could be $20 in seals and your good to go. The AMC 20 that has had the two piece replaced is a good axle and I wouldnt bother swapping it unless youre going over 35s and swapping out that 304.

Having said that... I went with a Dana 44 out of an early 70s Scout and I think I needed new perches welded in place and the rest was good to go.

It was a while ago but I dont remember there being anymore to it. I think they are getting harder to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want my two dollars!
post #6 of 22 Old 07-08-2020, 09:40 PM
Capt_Drake

1986 CJ7 

How much are you willing to spend?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-08-2020, 10:23 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you filled in your profile you would get better aimed guesses, still wrong of course

All we know abut your CJ is that it has a 304 and a T18 and Dana 20 and is a post 1981 CJ7 stock apart from a large lift.

If you have a large lift then presumably you have large tyres. How big we do not know.

We have no data on the axle ratios you currently have, which is important when looking at replacing only one axle with a different model. Often I see owners replacing both ends at the same time.

We also do not know what you want to do with the rig.

An "easiest upgrade" is more $$$$$$ than one you sweat with from a pull a part. However, you can get good results by buying the right new part and using it for years.

You mention Dana 60 and Dana 70 and a J20 axle (rear is a Dana 60 with factory LSD) so you must be thinking of a heavy axle. And they are truly boat anchors, no danger of your Cj toppling over with those under it. However they are also power sapping and if you do not need them for your app, (such as extreme high gearing for rock climbing) you are better off with something lighter such as the Dana 44 which is almost as strong.

In addition you may not find one that matches your front axle ratio. My J20 had 4.88:1 from the factory, a stock late model AMC20 may be as low as 4.56:1 but most were around 3.54:1.

A built new Dana 44 is not very expensive. They are stronger than the ones used in 1985 and will take big tyres and the torque of your 304. This will be the easiest swap by far. If the $$$$$ are a bit steep then look for a CJ7 / Scout $$ used one and overhaul it, but you will need to find the exact match in ratio to your front axle if you want to keep the cost down.

And that leads you down a rabbit hole of spending $$ or $$$$$ on an axle whose ratio is stock and does not suit large tyres. Or do you spend $$$ by changing both axle ratios? Nothing cheap in a Jeep.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #8 of 22 Old 07-08-2020, 10:31 PM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Easiest?

Take it to a shop and give them your CC
ranger83 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-08-2020, 11:01 PM
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Easy? This forum exist as group therapy for CJ owners.

Seriously, fix the leak. Converting a D44/50/60/70 is $$$$$$. Fixing and upgrading your M20 is $$. No brainer. Dana 60 swaps are expensive!
Most members here will advise to fix the seal. If you have not upgraded to one piece axles, do it. Doing that and you will have fixed the biggest issue with the M20 along with saving $$$$.
For less money, you can throw some type of LS/Locker in the front and rear, along with the 1-piece axles, than the money spent on a D60.

I concur with the same sage advise.

Read this:
https://www.randysworldwide.com/reso...0-rearend-yet/

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

4.2L w/Howell TBI, T5, D300, Dana 30 w/locker/AMC 20 posit, 3.31 gears
post #10 of 22 Old 07-09-2020, 12:00 AM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

Stab in a set of pro rock 80s with ARB and be done. Easy. Simple. But costly. Good luck.

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

post #11 of 22 Old 07-09-2020, 03:49 AM
whodatschrome

Like what BackUp said, probably a Scout Dana 44 is the easiest swap. I started out with a AMC 20 in the back of my CJ7. For a cheap upgrade, i installed one piece shafts, 4:46 gears, and a spool. That axle lasted me less than 2 years before the tubes were bent...all with 32" tires. I'm not a fan of any upgrades on the Model 20 because the tubes are just so darn weak. I swapped in that Scout Dana 44 (with another spool) and all was right in the world again.
post #12 of 22 Old 07-09-2020, 07:26 AM
mystert29
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodatschrome View Post
Like what BackUp said, probably a Scout Dana 44 is the easiest swap. I started out with a AMC 20 in the back of my CJ7. For a cheap upgrade, i installed one piece shafts, 4:46 gears, and a spool. That axle lasted me less than 2 years before the tubes were bent...all with 32" tires. I'm not a fan of any upgrades on the Model 20 because the tubes are just so darn weak. I swapped in that Scout Dana 44 (with another spool) and all was right in the world again.

Is a Scout Dana 44 really the easiest? I live in Socal where old cars dont rust and fall apart yet hardly ever see a Scout driving around. I have also NEVER seen axles for them for sale on any of the usual websites. Sure its an easy swap but good luck actually finding one.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-09-2020, 10:32 AM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Swap in another axle but that doesn't mean that it won't leak either. Fix your AMC 20.
post #14 of 22 Old 07-09-2020, 11:11 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbtownsend View Post
Oh also if anyone has any tips for just fixing the amc 20 that could be helpful
Remove your AMC 20, disassemble it. Take the bare housing to a good fab shop. Have them check it for straightness, weld the tubes to the center section & truss it. Clean it, reassemble it with all new seals & bearings. Install one piece axles during the assembly process. Paint it and reinstall it. If you do all this it will be stronger than before, just as strong & reliable as a Dana 44, and it will be a drop in fit. $300 for fab work, $300 for axles, another $100 for bearings & paint.

That would be the easiest, unless you found a good used one with all those parts replaced already.

There are many other options, but you wanted the easiest.

It’s 36 years old, there is probably a good reason it’s leaking, but that’s another topic.
amiyank likes this.

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #15 of 22 Old 07-09-2020, 11:15 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
Remove your AMC 20, disassemble it. Take the bare housing to a good fab shop. Have them check it for straightness, weld the tubes to the center section & truss it. Clean it, reassemble it with all new seals & bearings. Install one piece axles during the assembly process. Paint it and reinstall it. If you do all this it will be stronger than before, just as strong & reliable as a Dana 44, and it will be a drop in fit. $300 for fab work, $300 for axles, another $100 for bearings & paint.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.

- Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in