95 Wrangler Frame under an 84 CJ7 with a Chevy v8 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
mrman5050

95 Wrangler Frame under an 84 CJ7 with a Chevy v8

Need help - I am replacing my rusted/cracked 84 CJ7 frame with a 95 YJ Wrangler frame. My CJ has Chevy V8 conversion with a TH350 trans. The YJ frame housed a factory 4 cylinder engine.

I have seen some threads (can't seem to find them now) about these types of frame swaps. Can someone help me out with what I need to do/look out for? I thought I read something about the fuel tank (use the YJ tank??) and body mounts (need to relocate/fabricate the rear mounts??).

Can someone help with these issues as well as any others? Also post the links to the threads dealing with this swap.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-26-2009, 10:40 AM
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I don't think you saw too many threads on this as normally they deal with tub swaps, not frame swaps.

In order to do this swap, you are going to have a few things that you need to look out for. Off the top of my head, springs are different width wise between the 2 frames, putting a CJ nose on here is going to require a body lift if I remember correctly, if not body modifications.

Front axle for YJ's had pumpkin on the other side, not sure if that will be any issue here.

Not sure on the tank, if you are using the CJ tank, not sure if that will fit in the YJ frame.

I think I have heard of someone doing this, but they used more YJ parts and put a CJ nose on a Wrangler.

I would keep searching as I don't remembmer seeing a whole lot of these done, I would be interested in seeing it though.

cb

CertifiableJeep
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'76 ORANGE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'76 MAROON

'78 SILVER

'82 WHITE
Build

'83 GREEN
Build

ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member

post #3 of 5 Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
mrman5050

Interesting point. I never considered whether a YJ frame wouldn't be the best choice for this swap. I thought I read that the YJ frame is generally a better built frame than the CJ frames.

Should I find another year/model frame for my CJ7?

post #4 of 5 Old 03-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Along with what CB said, you can do this. But take a minute to think are you just swapping thr frame only? or springs too? What axles are you going to run? The YJ frame is wider in the front, which may cause you to modify your spring perches on the Dana 30 front. I can measure both set ups next week. As for motor mounts, just weld them in or get a new set from MORE or someplace. As for the tank, depends on if you are using a YJ tub, if not, the CJ tank will fit with some fabrication for straps. The rear width of the frames are the close. Otherwise they are a better candidate for a swap unless you want to get a Matkins or some other aftermarket frame.

85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-26-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
mrman5050

My plan is to use as much of the 84 CJ7 as possible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in