86 CJ7 will not start after it sits for a day - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 02-15-2020, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
burchdog32
1976 CJ7 

86 CJ7 will not start after it sits for a day

Need some help from you guys on steps to solve my starting problem if my jeep sits for over a day. Have an 86 CJ7 with a 360 and 4 barrel edelbrock carb. Something is going on when I dont run my jeep for a day or more where the fuel is not getting to the carb.

Once I get it started, it runs great. It starts right away if I start it within a day of it last running.

If I wait longer than a day, I see no fuel squirting if I push on accelerator lever. I have to keep starting it for a very long time to get the fuel pump to bring gas back to the carb. Once it is gets back.. it runs great. When it sits, it is draining my battery from long cranking and I am constantly having to charge it.

Since the fuel pump eventually brings gas back.. I am not thinking it is the pump. Do I have a slow leak in my gas lines? I dont smell any gas or see any leaks.

Let me know what steps I should take to troubleshoot. I am a noob mechanic and dont know much about carbs, so please explain things as simple as possible. 🙂

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
20200215_210310_1581823179429.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 02-15-2020, 09:20 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Pull the top pff the carb and I bet you will see the pumper well is dry after a day. Fuel level is low enough you get no fuel out of the pumper, but not low enough to open the needle/seat to refill the bowl enough to get fuel to the pumper. Need to adjust the float on the pumper side so it keeps enough fuel to the pumper after sitting for a day.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 38 Old 02-15-2020, 09:29 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI, as for the no squart power valve comes to mind if its leaking down, but I don't remember if edelbrock has one.. second is how about the choke in the picture it doesn't look closed enough if the motor is cold it should be almost closed 1/8". or if it has a choke brake it should go all the way closed then the choke brake well open it a little once the motor starts. once you get it running shut it off and watch it for a minute look for leaks also looking down the throttle body for smoke, a cloud of smoke is raw fuel dripping inside when its not running. the other thing would be the accelator pump shot and not squarting fuel to start.
good luck
tim

post #4 of 38 Old 02-15-2020, 11:39 PM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

My first thought is the accelerator pump needs replaced. I have had the same problem a few times in life. Most recently on a Motorcraft 2150.
pedal2themetai likes this.
post #5 of 38 Old 06-21-2020, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
burchdog32
1976 CJ7 

Update: just replaced the carb with a brand new one (out $320.. but at least I have a new carb, and a working backup). Same issue with new carb. New carb works great. Except I have to pour a little gas down the throat of it to get it going. Once I do that it runs great until I let it sit over night.. then I have to repeat. If I start back up within the day, it starts right up.

Any ideas.
post #6 of 38 Old 06-21-2020, 07:50 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI, Ok, new carb would eliminate a lot of issues with carbonation . I don't know you knowledge of carb motors.. So....
When cold and you move the linkage does the choke go closed. With an electric choke it should be powered with a Key on only power or thru the oil pressure switch, you can NOT leave the key on or it well heat up the choke causing it not to work properly.. Also on a carb motor you HAVE to pump the gas a couple of times to squirt fuel into the motor for it to start (their not like EFI setups run by computers)..
hope this helps
good luck
tim
post #7 of 38 Old 06-21-2020, 08:17 AM
Dryseals
1980 CJ7 

Fuel pump.

Next time, before you start the vehicle do a couple of checks.

First, remove the air cleaner and look down inside the carb, pump the accelerator by hand and see if there is any fuel coming from the accelerator pump squirt., if so you have fuel in the bowls.

Next disconnect your fuel line to the carb and see if there is any fuel in the lines. And then disconnect at the fuel pump going to the carb and see how much fuel is still in the lines.

Also, just a curiosity question....when you have been driving and you stop for fuel, upon removing the fuel cap is there a sucking sound? as if the fuel tank is under a slight vacuum. Or maybe a slight pressure that pushes out.

What I am thinking here is that the fuel pump valves are not closing all the way and allowing the fuel to drain back into the tank.
post #8 of 38 Old 06-21-2020, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
burchdog32
1976 CJ7 

I am definitely a noob when it comes to be a mechanic. I watched an elderbrock you tube video and replaced carb myself.. but may have choke issues as I didn't do anything with it. The choke plate (if that is what it is called) would stay open on old carb too (came with jeep when I purchased it). I posted some pics of new carb setup (engine cold).

As for gas lines playing into this, I do think it could be playing a part. When I get gas, there is a vacuum when I open gas cap. It makes a sucking noise when I first take off cap. Another thing to note is that my engine performance has issues when I use around 8-10 gallons of gas (15 gal tank). It sporadically sputters when i get lower on gas. I don't have that issue if I keep the tank full.

Anything I can check or do to see if it is the gas lines?
post #9 of 38 Old 06-21-2020, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
burchdog32
1976 CJ7 

Pics of new carb (engine is cold):
Attached Thumbnails
20200621_092119_1592750149907.jpg   20200621_092126_1592750175815.jpg  
post #10 of 38 Old 06-21-2020, 08:58 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Edelbrocks Don't have power valves and their design eliminates drainback.

Edelbrocks are super simple to rebuild. You probably could have saved about 280 bucks had you asked prior to purchasing a new one.

I would love to blame the choke, however, the lack of the accelerator pump squirting is the first issue to fix. You should get two (one per barrel) nice long squirts from the accelerator system every time you open the throttle.

All that being said, I'm suspecting the fuel in the carb bowl may be evaporating due to engine heat and ambient temperature.

Take a day and drive the rig. Park it and pop the lid (a simple procedure). Measure the float level and insure it is correct. Replace the lid completely and let it sit over night. Remove the lid the next day and see if there is still fuel in the carb. If you have fuel in the bowl but the accelerator pump isn't working means an intermittent issue with pump.

If the bowl is dry, then you are probably dealing with evaporation due to heat. You may need a phenolic spacer, or in the end, switch to an electric fuel pump.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #11 of 38 Old 06-21-2020, 08:58 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI I see you have a Manuel choke model.. You'll need to run a cable for it.. the choke needs to be closed to start cold.. you well need to pump the gas a couple of times to inject fuel for it to start.. once started open the choke some like 1/2 way (you may have to play with it a little to find out what the motor wants) and full open once the motor heats up some..
good luck
tim
post #12 of 38 Old 06-21-2020, 09:06 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Ugggg......
You posted pictures while I was typing.
Sooooo... Looks like you have a phenolic spacer (the black thing under the carb).

Your choke isn't connected, however the lack of accelerator pump action after sitting is an indicator of another issue.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #13 of 38 Old 06-21-2020, 09:15 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI choke cable is hooked up here
Blue is cable mount point
Red is where it hooks to the choke
Attached Thumbnails
choke2.jpg  
post #14 of 38 Old 06-21-2020, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
burchdog32
1976 CJ7 

Thanks for all the respons!

Yes I added the spacer a month or two ago on old carb (before buying new carb) after reading it can help with potential vapor lock, which i was hoping would fix this, but it didnt (and not sure if this a vapor lock issue, or a fuel flow issue). After that didn't work, I thought for sure it was the carb so I would gladly spend $300 to get it fixed. Unfortunately, new carb didn't do it. Paying the price for learning, I guess.
post #15 of 38 Old 06-21-2020, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
burchdog32
1976 CJ7 

One more thing to note... when taking off old carb to install new carb, no fuel was in the line when I disconnected it from old carb. Shouldnt there have been a little fuel that should have spilled out?

The other thing that is weird to me is if I crank the car it will run for 10-15 minutes before it starts, it takes forever to get gas back to engine.. once it gets enough fuel it runs good. But if I just pour a little fuel down the throat, it starts right up and fuel flow seems fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in