85 Power Booster Brake Upgrade... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-27-2018, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
jjump
1985 CJ7 

85 Power Booster Brake Upgrade...

I used the unit from Pirate Jack, which appears very similar to all the units on Ebay, Amazon, Summit, etc….

I have the unit installed with the OEM lines (for now, will replace with new lines over the Winter), and yes the unit works, almost too well.

First, the push rod that attaches to the brake pedal has a large plastic bushing that is very sloppy and appears to be working its way out. Has anyone found a decent bushing or some sort of replacement for this?

Also the brake pedal rides very high now, something I can live with if everything else was perfect, but not there yet.

The biggest two issues has to do with brake pedal feel and the engine performance seems to be down now that I am running a vacuum line from the intake to the booster. 3rd gear used to pull hard and strong, and it just doesn’t feel the same. Also it seems to idle rough, and changes idle when I push and release the brake pedal. I am running around 500rpm for idle, should I bump this up?

The brake pedal feel is very hard and very sudden, not a lot of brake pedal movement before the brakes kick in, and they will all of a sudden.

Almost thinking of going back to the manual brakes and then mess with this more over Winter.

Anyone who has done this upgrade ran into similar issues and have any suggestions? TIA…..

Oh, one more thing…there are different pictures all over the place that show the firewall bracket mounte with the pivot point up, and some with the pivot point down…..Anyone able to verify which way this is?

THX

Attached Thumbnails
pirate.jpg  
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-27-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
jjump
1985 CJ7 

Installed....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1689.jpg  
post #3 of 4 Old 08-27-2018, 10:23 AM
Beer man
1983 CJ7 

Garage
I just installed it this weekend and have yet to bleed the lines. I installed the bracket with the point down. I ran into the problem of the air cleaner touching the vacuum booster though. I ran a Howell TBI and K&N air cleaner.

1983 CJ7
Howell TBI
HEI
"I keep my top off because my feet stink"

post #4 of 4 Old 08-27-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
jjump
1985 CJ7 

Yeah if I flip my bracket, it may hit the throttle linkage on my MC2100.......but I cleared the air cleaner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in