85 CJ7 Radiator - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 Old 05-22-2020, 08:00 PM
1985 CJ7 

The rubber wrap will help but it gets hot down there so it will weaken the area. Do both for peace of mind but BRASS is soft so that helps with impact!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 05-22-2020, 09:40 PM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Before you start trimming, read some of the Contour fan threads. Some guys had to heat them a little to make them fit. A Ford factory V6 dual Contour fan fit my Champion radiator like a glove. I am actually running the version for the Chevy motor swap because I wanted to get the lower outlet away from the power steering box and the lines. I have a 5.0 EFI Mustang motor with the water pump inlet on the drivers side so I had to make a custom hose with a coupler in the middle to make everything work but I am extremely happy with the results. I had to bend down the power steering lines to make the radiator work. You do not want any contact between the line and the radiator if at all possible. Even with a rubber insulator, it will probably brake something or wear through either the line or the radiator with time.

Have you looked into fan controllers yet?

This thread was when I first installed the Contour fan. I installed the Champion radiator a couple of months later. I like to divide projects up into smaller bites otherwise I never get things finished. The Contour fan fits tight up against the Champion radiator now.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/b...r-fan-3780385/

Good luck.
post #33 of 35 Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM
43Duc

1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneTower View Post

Have you looked into fan controllers yet?

This thread was when I first installed the Contour fan. I installed the Champion radiator a couple of months later. I like to divide projects up into smaller bites otherwise I never get things finished. The Contour fan fits tight up against the Champion radiator now.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/b...r-fan-3780385/

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. My fan is a new OE replacement from Rock-Auto, so it may be slightly off vs the stock one. The fan shroud is just over 24 3/8 wide and the opening between the mounting flanges on the rad is 24 1/8. I want the fan to sit flush agains the fan. I'll take a look and see if it's something that can be persuaded with heat.

My controller is the Flex-a-lite 31163 variable speed controller w/ thread-in temp probe (I'm going to use 4.0 t-stat cover). I'm also going to wire in the Flex-a-lite 3-way on/off switch.

I've been putting off this project for a while, but since my engine rebuild I haven't been able to get the engine up to temperature so I figured it was time. I pulled my t-stat (195) and tested it and it opened at about 175 to 180. Got a new 195 and it tested fine. Hopefully that will help.

1982 Jeep Scrambler

post #34 of 35 Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

When I said heat, I mean a heat gun. I just wanted to be clear.

There is no gap on the fan and the 3 row Champion radiator. I made the brackets with the eventual plan of installing the Champion radiator. The picture was when I still had the stock Jeep radiator and there was a gap, but it still cooled very well.

My Jeep has a 5.0 EFI motor out of a Mustang and when I got it had a 180 degree T-stat. I have to pass California emissions and a hotter motor usually passes better with fuel injection. I purchased a Motorcraft 192 degree because the T-stat that was in it and working perfectly was of unknown age and the 192 is what the factory installed. The motor went from running at around 188 to 192 degrees (digital Autometer gauge) to running at 210 to 215 degrees. My motor has a hotter cam and I would get detonation on very hot days in the Sacramento (105-110). I ended up ordering a 180 degree SuperStant and everything was good again. I had actually tried two Motorcraft 192 T-stats from two different suppliers so I know the first Motorcraft T-stat was not defective. They would not start to open in a pan of boiling water until about 205 degrees.

With the Dakota Digital controller, you get to set the on temperature and the off temperature for both high and low on the Contour fan. I have been very happy with the results.

I am not sure of the aftermarket Contour fan quality, but the Motorcraft OEM fans are of very good quality. They are designed to last in a daily driven vehicle for over 100K miles. I think I paid $18 for my fan at Pick N Pull on half price day. With the dual fan setup, even if you were to lose one fan on the trail, you could limp back with one fan running.
post #35 of 35 Old Today, 06:06 PM
43Duc

1982 CJ8 

I had to trim the fan shroud along one side to get it to fit down inside the mounting brackets. I had to make two mounting straps from the fan shroud to the radiator since I had to cut both off one side to get the shroud to fit up against the fins. I ran some rubber edging along the top and bottom edge of the fan as they rest directly on the fins. I then had to re-mount my AC condenser w/ some new brackets to move it forward to allow more room for the rad.

Now that the radiator and fans are in place, there's only about 1/4 inch of clearance between the passenger side fan and the AC compressor. I'm not too happy about that, but there's not much more room to be gained short of modifying the grill to move the radiator more forward.

This is when I wish I had gone through the trouble of a v-8 swap, even though it's near impossible here in California.

1982 Jeep Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in