85 CJ7 Radiator - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 35 Old 10-31-2019, 09:57 AM
1985 CJ7 

I have the HD one (right on photo) and I also have the Serpentine Belt with the A/C bracket installed; no A/C. Never had a fit issue. As I recall, my installation went as DougE breaks it down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 Old 10-31-2019, 10:25 AM
Deer-Slayer_5

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Since this is a topic that is showing up today I figured Id ask here than make a new thread... Do all the radiators come with a built in transmission cooler? I am buying a new one here soon and they have the option but I have a manual trans so it most likely doesn't apply to me. I'm just curious

CJ-7 build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 35 Old 11-01-2019, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Geek
1985 CJ7 

Got It

So I returned my CC583 radiator back to Ledfoot Racing. George there was great in taking it back with no hassle. I sent him pics of the issue and he totally got it. Promised me he would go back to Champion and ask the question. In continuing to look for a replacement, I happened upon another Champion radiator that has the exact same measurements as my stock one. As in exactly the same as the heavy duty version where the filler is on driver's side. It is also spec'd for the 81-86 I4 and I6 Jeep CJ. Called George back and asked about that. Turns out I wasn't the first to send the 583 back and so Champion did some homework and came up with a 'new' radiator that would work with the I6 and a clutch fan. George says it's only been available for a couple weeks so he and I are swapping as we speak.

So for those out there looking for an aluminum radiator, no plastic tank, works with a clutch fan and is pretty reasonably priced, here's the link to the page.

https://www.championradiators.com/product/CC58

Again I really appreciate all the help from those that weighed in.

Geek

post #19 of 35 Old 11-01-2019, 10:58 AM
1985 CJ7 

Geek, you should find out if "CHAMPION" makes that style radiator in a brass version.
post #20 of 35 Old 11-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Champion makes only aluminum radiators.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 35 Old 11-01-2019, 05:49 PM
whollsee
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Champion makes only aluminum radiators.

Matt
But...copper/brass is better....isn't it?

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
post #22 of 35 Old 11-02-2019, 05:33 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whollsee View Post
Depends who you talk to, or which article you read. But let's not go there.

Matt

post #23 of 35 Old 11-02-2019, 07:35 AM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by whollsee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Depends who you talk to, or which article you read. But let's not go there.

Matt
It's kinda like the airline issue....iron pipe vs copper pipe vs PVC......it's such a touchy subject on another forum I'm on, you can almost get banned if you bring it up.

But to answer the original question....brass has the advantage of being a being easier to manufacture (way back when) and I'm guessing it's cheaper.

here is a good article on it.

https://wizardcooling.com/blog/brass...al-properties/
MikeyDeezy likes this.

post #24 of 35 Old 11-02-2019, 07:38 AM
ddawg16

1984 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Yeah I wish I had 5 inches of space. Here's a pic of the fan and in the background you can see it almost perfectly lines up with the flange on the grill where the radiator mounts. The other pic shows the space between the mounting flange and the radiator itself.

258 - Thanks for that pic. Will see if I can find a heavy duty like that one.
Part of your problem is the fan clutch.

You could go flex fan (more noise) and free up about 1-2".

If it was me, I'd be going electric. I have a Ford Taurus fan with a DC variable speed controller. It only runs then fan when needed. I can shut if off when going through water...or turn it on full blast at idle or if the engine is off.

post #25 of 35 Old 11-05-2019, 08:29 PM
Toms-CJ7
1982 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I bought a Champion 3 row radiator for my 85 CJ. Stock 4.2L that has a clutch fan. The radiator was recommended here on the forum in a few places but there is no way it will fit (2 or the 3 row) with the clutch fan there. (I looked closer and those who liked this radiator had the V8 and not the 6) So I question if the clutch fan is "stock". The radiator that is on there is offset back into the grill by 1 7/8 inch and the Champion 3 row is only about a quarter of an inch while the 2 row would be about 3/4 of an inch based on the specs.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a radiator when using a clutch fan on the mighty 4.2?

SPOILER ALERT: Go to post #18 for the fix!!!

Thanks

Geek
I know you solved this, however for potential future reference, I had a similar issue when I went to an aluminum radiator and a new fan clutch. My new radiator would not fit with the new clutch which was thicker than the old clutch. I think the difference are thermal and non-thermal clutches and one is thicker than the other. I had to use spacers to push the new deeper radiator (had an additional core over the OEM radiator) back into the grill frame as well as go back to the old clutch. Thankfully my new radiator could be inset some.
post #26 of 35 Old 11-05-2019, 09:32 PM
andysbarker

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post

Part of your problem is the fan clutch.

You could go flex fan (more noise) and free up about 1-2".

If it was me, I'd be going electric. I have a Ford Taurus fan with a DC variable speed controller. It only runs then fan when needed. I can shut if off when going through water...or turn it on full blast at idle or if the engine is off.
I also switched to an electric fan in 2015. Highly recommend! Use a Ford Contour fan, it fits the Jeep radiator PERFECT! There are forums on this upgrade. I got it from a salvage yard for $20. I’m using it with a 2- row aluminum radiator (Champion EC583JP). 1980 CJ5, 258 engine.
ddawg16 likes this.

Last edited by andysbarker; 11-05-2019 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Added radiator part number
post #27 of 35 Old 11-06-2019, 01:29 PM
cj7efx

My electric fan solution

Attached is the solution I came up with for the three row Champion and a 14 inch 90 watt 2250 rpm electric fan from e-bay. the fan is mounted slightly offset. Coupled with the thermostat, no problems. 1980 CJ7 4.2 with 999 automatic hooked up to Champion's built-in automatic transmission cooler
Attached Thumbnails
20191106_124935.jpg  
ddawg16 likes this.
post #28 of 35 Old 05-22-2020, 01:11 PM
43Duc

1982 CJ8 

Bringing up an old thread, but I bought this radiator, the CC58 and today find that it does not fit my 82 Scrambler. The mounting flange is about 1/2" away from making contact. Also the driver side rests on the the power steering lines and keeps the driver's side flange from lining up w/ the bolt holes by about 3/4 to 1". If I drill the flange and mount it high, the radiator cap hits the hood. Needless to say I'm extremely disappointed. I'd love to post some photos, but they are too big to post to the forum and I can't find a host that I can get to work. I have yet to contact Leadfoot Racing about it, but thought I'd post here to see if anyone has insight.

I'm trying to get my Contour fan setup working. With this radiator I was going to have to trim the sides of the fan shroud to get them to fit flush. If it's not one thing, it's another. Sometimes I wonder why I bother...

Edit 2 hours later.
I'm currently trying to gently push the power steering lines a little lower to see if I can get some clearance. Another issue is the AC condenser needs to be moved forward, so I'm making some new brackets for that.

1982 Jeep Scrambler
post #29 of 35 Old 05-22-2020, 06:34 PM
1985 CJ7 

43Duc,
If the radiator is out, solder a 1/8" thick brass plate where those lines hit under the radiator. I did this to mine just to help them from rubbing directly against the radiator when you hit a bump. It doesn't have to be large; 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"?
post #30 of 35 Old 05-22-2020, 07:43 PM
43Duc

1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 258 View Post
43Duc,
If the radiator is out, solder a 1/8" thick brass plate where those lines hit under the radiator. I did this to mine just to help them from rubbing directly against the radiator when you hit a bump. It doesn't have to be large; 1 1/2" x 2 1/2"?
Thanks for the tip. I had to make new brackets to mount the AC condenser and change how it was bolting to the grill and that bought me some room. I removed the hard line mounts for the power steering from the frame to get some flexibility. Those two things seem to have gotten me closer to where it needs to be. There is constant contact between the hard lines and the radiator, so I'll either do the patch you mentioned or wrap the lines in rubber when they make contact.

My first post about this was clearly made out of frustration as it turns out the radiator does fit. I had a feeling it would which is why I didn't call Ledfoot to complain. I like to exhaust all options before I do that and in this case it looks like it may have worked out.

Now that I have the radiator fitting (for the most part), I can work on trimming my fan shroud to make it fit. The gap between the radiator mounting flange it slightly smaller than the stock one, so I have to trim the shroud to get it to fit up against the fins. I'll work on that tomorrow.

Wish I could post photos.

1982 Jeep Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in