85 CJ7 Radiator - JeepForum.com
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 10-29-2019, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Geek
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Wenatchee
Posts: 177
85 CJ7 Radiator

I bought a Champion 3 row radiator for my 85 CJ. Stock 4.2L that has a clutch fan. The radiator was recommended here on the forum in a few places but there is no way it will fit (2 or the 3 row) with the clutch fan there. (I looked closer and those who liked this radiator had the V8 and not the 6) So I question if the clutch fan is "stock". The radiator that is on there is offset back into the grill by 1 7/8 inch and the Champion 3 row is only about a quarter of an inch while the 2 row would be about 3/4 of an inch based on the specs.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a radiator when using a clutch fan on the mighty 4.2?


SPOILER ALERT: Go to post #18 for the fix!!!


Thanks


Geek


Last edited by Geek; 11-01-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Solved the issue
Geek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 Old 10-30-2019, 03:38 AM
whollsee
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canberra
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I bought a Champion 3 row radiator for my 85 CJ. Stock 4.2L that has a clutch fan. The radiator was recommended here on the forum in a few places but there is no way it will fit (2 or the 3 row) with the clutch fan there. (I looked closer and those who liked this radiator had the V8 and not the 6) So I question if the clutch fan is "stock". The radiator that is on there is offset back into the grill by 1 7/8 inch and the Champion 3 row is only about a quarter of an inch while the 2 row would be about 3/4 of an inch based on the specs.



Anyone have any good suggestions for a radiator when using a clutch fan on the mighty 4.2?


Thanks


Geek
If you mean as an alternative to the champion?...OEM style in copper brass...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...jeep/model/cj7

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
whollsee is offline  
post #3 of 35 Old 10-30-2019, 06:36 AM
John Strenk
Moderator
 
John Strenk's Avatar
1976 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shalersville Ohio
Posts: 20,164
Does your radiator have a fill cap centered or off to one side?

Do you have a serpentine belt or v belts.

I know there was a waterpump with matching pulley about 1/2" shorter in length for the 258.

There was also a thinner grill but that started in 84 at least and if your grill was not replaced then it should be the thin one.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
John Strenk is offline  
 
post #4 of 35 Old 10-30-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Geek
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Wenatchee
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Does your radiator have a fill cap centered or off to one side?

Do you have a serpentine belt or v belts.

I know there was a waterpump with matching pulley about 1/2" shorter in length for the 258.

There was also a thinner grill but that started in 84 at least and if your grill was not replaced then it should be the thin one.

My radiator has the cap centered and the engine has V belts. I did replace the water pump when I rebuilt the engine this last year but it was exactly like the one that was on there (only it worked better). As for the grill, I don't know. Believe I am the third owner so anything is possible I guess as far as the grill having been replaced. I'll have to see if I can find some info on the grill thickness and see if that's the issue.


Thanks for the info John.


G
Geek is offline  
post #5 of 35 Old 10-30-2019, 08:11 AM
CrustySprings
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gunnison area
Posts: 158
Geek,

I have an '85 CJ 7 and two years ago I ordered a Champion radiator same as you did.

I also found that the new three core Champion would not fit with the existing fan and fan clutch. Next year I plan on trying again with a slim (less than three inches thick) electric fan and controller.

Champion's web page really should be updated.

258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system
CrustySprings is offline  
post #6 of 35 Old 10-30-2019, 11:32 AM
scottyDive
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Killingworth
Posts: 610
Installed this one in myb84 with the I6 and a fan clutch

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scott
86 CJ7 Laredo
84 CJ7 Renegade
70 Jeepster
scottyDive is offline  
post #7 of 35 Old 10-30-2019, 01:19 PM
whollsee
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canberra
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyDive View Post
Installed this one in myb84 with the I6 and a fan clutch

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah I installed the spectra a few years ago but I don’t think they do a copper brass version now. Not in offset cap anyway.

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
whollsee is offline  
post #8 of 35 Old 10-30-2019, 03:41 PM
jurgen24
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pleasanton
Posts: 548
85 CJ7 Radiator

I used the 2 core Champion version and it fits (just) for 258 I6 with clutch fan (serpentine belts). I did have to lower it a bit, otherwise the cap hit the underside of hood and would not close.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jurgen24 is online now  
post #9 of 35 Old 10-30-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Geek
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Wenatchee
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgen24 View Post
I used the 2 core Champion version and it fits (just) for 258 I6 with clutch fan (serpentine belts). I did have to lower it a bit, otherwise the cap hit the underside of hood and would not close.

Thanks all. Appreciate the inputs.


I looked at the 2 row Champion but if I read the specs correctly it's only a half inch narrower than the three row and that still won't get me clear of the clutch. Must be a difference in the serpentine and v belt configurations.


Again really appreciate the inputs.


G
Geek is offline  
post #10 of 35 Old 10-30-2019, 04:38 PM
whollsee
Registered User
1982 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Canberra
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Thanks all. Appreciate the inputs.


I looked at the 2 row Champion but if I read the specs correctly it's only a half inch narrower than the three row and that still won't get me clear of the clutch. Must be a difference in the serpentine and v belt configurations.


Again really appreciate the inputs.


G
Do you have fan shroud?

When ever I hear the word 'Jeep' I reach for my wallet.
whollsee is offline  
post #11 of 35 Old 10-30-2019, 05:38 PM
oldschool74cj5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 407
hello
did you check summit racing. i know they have a copper one that is made in the USA. price was pretty good.



https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...jeep/model/cj7


oldschool
oldschool74cj5 is online now  
post #12 of 35 Old 10-30-2019, 11:11 PM
ddawg16
Registered User
 
ddawg16's Avatar
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: South Bay
Posts: 712
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
My radiator has the cap centered and the engine has V belts. I did replace the water pump when I rebuilt the engine this last year but it was exactly like the one that was on there (only it worked better). As for the grill, I don't know. Believe I am the third owner so anything is possible I guess as far as the grill having been replaced. I'll have to see if I can find some info on the grill thickness and see if that's the issue.


Thanks for the info John.


G
V-belts? My 84 is the serpentine belt. With the stock fan, there must have been at least 5" of space between the fan and radiator. And it was the I6.

I now have a V8.....even less room.........but I also have electric fans.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ddawg16 is offline  
post #13 of 35 Old 10-30-2019, 11:17 PM
258
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SP
Posts: 2,218
The offset cap (toward driver side) was on the heavy duty cooling option. The Heavy Duty 2 core has more cross fins in the two rows and is the one to use if you have a fan clutch.

The standard 3 core is the one with a fixed 4-blade fan and spacer. Both BRASS! . . . Not my photo, but illustrates the difference.
Attached Images
 
258 is offline  
post #14 of 35 Old 10-31-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Geek
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Wenatchee
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
V-belts? My 84 is the serpentine belt. With the stock fan, there must have been at least 5" of space between the fan and radiator. And it was the I6.

Yeah I wish I had 5 inches of space. Here's a pic of the fan and in the background you can see it almost perfectly lines up with the flange on the grill where the radiator mounts. The other pic shows the space between the mounting flange and the radiator itself.


258 - Thanks for that pic. Will see if I can find a heavy duty like that one.
Attached Thumbnails
radiator mount.jpg   radiator.jpg  
Geek is offline  
post #15 of 35 Old 10-31-2019, 08:27 AM
DougE
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Braunfels
Posts: 731
Here's a thought for debate. Besides the fan clearance issue there have been issues with the hood prop interfering with the radiator cap. After a total disassembly, when I installed my shroud I found that it did not fit properly. After checking my disassembly photos, I found that the radiator should be inserted into the grille housing (from below) with the clip nuts installed on the radiator flange. This resulted in an assembly of: Shroud, Grille Housing Flange and then Radiator. All fit properly then. This arrangement could solve some of the interference problems folks are experiencing.

1983 CJ7, 258I6, T4, Dana 300, 31x10.5x15 DuraTrac
DougE is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome