85 CJ7 Fresh Air Box Restore - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-31-2020, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
dolsoncj7
1981 CJ8 

85 CJ7 Fresh Air Box Restore

I'm starting to tackle my heater box restoration and I'm having trouble finding what people might have done to R&R the fresh air box. I've found threads and videos, but most seem to sidestep splitting the box open.

The top of my box is a little brittle around the rivet heads and many of them have cracked through their holes. Drilling won't work because the rivets easily spin and putting too much force risks drilling through (making the hole larger and cracks worse). These parts are also pretty hard to find, so I'd rather not destroy this one beyond repair while I search for another.

That said, once I do split the box, the upper flange is so brittle now there'd be little to no strength to keep it together in the long run. Right now, it's so loose from some of the cracked rivet holes that the cable/control brackets flex too much and they bind.

So, here's my thought...

1) Pray I can find a "better" fresh air box.
2) F-it and drill out the rivets knowing I've got to come up with a solution to ensure the flanges are tight.
2a) Fab up some aluminum or stainless backing strips to help clamp the flanges and use bolts with nylocs to secure it.
3) Chuck all that and just build a box to drain the vent because this Jeep is usually without doors and a bikini top. But in the off chance we put doors on, fresh air to supply the heater box is going to have to come from somewhere else.

Anybody else have this issue with their air box?

-DO-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-31-2020, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
dolsoncj7
1981 CJ8 

Here are a couple of examples.
Attached Images

post #3 of 6 Old 06-01-2020, 04:33 PM
momo2
1980 CJ7 

I would drill out the rivets. You can always lay some fiberglass piece on top of wrecked sections and with some foam/rubber/liquid gasket maker it should seal well.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950U mit Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 Old 06-02-2020, 06:32 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
If you need any parts call these guys. They have pretty much everything you may need, and fair prices.
Attached Thumbnails
2E6D98AA-BCB5-4706-8D59-6DE104E3E33F.jpg  

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #5 of 6 Old 06-02-2020, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
dolsoncj7
1981 CJ8 

Thanks Axhammer. I'm working with them on some other parts so I'll add this to the mix. I didn't see any on their FB inventory page.

I'm in Wilmington so I might just trek up there check out the place too.

-DO
post #6 of 6 Old 06-02-2020, 07:11 AM
Axhammer
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Garage
It’s worth the trip, they have a lot of parts...everything. Very good people to deal with. You can put in a order and they will hold a part that you have requested. It’s a 100 mile drive for me, but when I need several items I just make sure they are going to open on that particular Saturday, and I make the drive. I don’t know how rare a “air box” in good condition is? Call them and ask? I doubt they list everything. I want to get the Plastic air duct that routes fresh air to the driver, so I plan on calling them and make sure they have one, or have them hold one for me. I just haven’t got around to it yet.

This is how they pulled the 20 gallon plastic gas tank I bought the last time I made a parts run.
Attached Thumbnails
15B48453-78D3-4215-A79D-E7B330A54F8B.jpg  

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile

Tags
fresh air

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in