‘85 brake/clutch pedal assembly - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-03-2021, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

1985 CJ7 

‘85 brake/clutch pedal assembly

Can I remove the entire assembly without creating issues? I want to go over it and lube it properly as well as replace the 2 springs that are old and tired.

Anyone source out those springs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-03-2021, 09:25 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
https://oljeep.com/

---JEEPFELLER
Attached Images

post #3 of 7 Old 11-03-2021, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

1985 CJ7 

JEEPFELLER,

You surprise me with the courage to openly voice what ever it is that’s troubling you and toward me. Only a few that I know would shoot someone in the back for reason’s he may not be aware of?

If it’s for reasons of asking simple questions on here, I’m sure it has to do with recently suffering a mild health setback but I’m sure you knew this? NOT! Simple conversation is sometimes a remedy I always welcome. Why anyone would want to diminish that is beyond me.

I get plenty of love and I’m blessed but thank you. In the future, if you are having an issue with me, be man enough to PM me so you are updated of what’s really happening in my world. It really is that simple.

God Bless man!

post #4 of 7 Old 11-03-2021, 10:22 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
No issue!

Just thought that maybe you did not have a factory manual,

I have seen other postings that might have been answered or diagrams that were found in a manual.

Noticed your post count, thought that nobody had squared you away, over the years, with a link to so many manuals.

Maybe my link got lost up there?......you did not mention it.

I have no clue for new OEM springs, I thought the diagrams might show what need to be unbolted to drop the whole deal out.

No, I was not trying to rattle your cage.

-----JEEPFELLER
post #5 of 7 Old 11-04-2021, 10:11 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

At ease gentlemen! Y'all need to have another cup of coffee and smell the roses if you haven't cut back the rose bush doing your fall yard maintenance. The first place I go and where anyone else has a repair question should go is to the TSM. If I can't find the answer I ask here.

I think I know what to springs you are referring to. You are asking about the spring that returns the brake pedal after you take your foot off the pedal. The second that is not shown in the TSM extract above performs the same function for the clutch pedal. Bear in mind there is one more spring in the clutch linkage that returns the clutch linkage from the clutch fork. I don't think you are asking about this one.

I've never had to replace the brake return spring so I can't help you there. The clutch pedal spring I've done and and I will say without a doubt that was the most frustrating job I ever have done to our Jeep and probably to any other mechanical device I've ever used a wrench on.

There is no instructions in the TSM nor should be normally. You just remove the old spring and replace the new one in the same place. That's the strongest small spring I've ever dealt with and laying on my back trying to see under the dash I just couldn't stretch it out enough to get it in place. Next I dropped the dash so I could get a straight in look and pull. I didn't eat enough Wheaties that day for I couldn't stretch that some beach far enough to get it in place After exhausting my entire vocabulary of profanities and throwing a few wrenches I quit for the day.

The next morning I took a small oval ring with the thing that you can tighten and most folks use the larger ones to close a loop on a length of chain. I fastened it to a short length of chain and placed it over the end of the spring and using a ratchet strap attached to the chain and a length of pipe behind the sport bar for the other end of the strap I ratcheted it in place.

For those of you here who said just grab it with some vice grips and pull you are better men than me. The spring I used came from the local 4WD store and was a Crown but wasn't made in China. If someone else makes a better one I don't want it!

Unless the spring is broken--mine was--don't mess with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The only reason mine broke was because something else broke and put it in a bind.

Bob out!

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #6 of 7 Old 11-04-2021, 12:32 PM
JEEPFELLER

1977 CJ5 

Garage
I've never attempted to snatch out the whole deal.

If it is easy to get out, spring reattachment might be EZer.

I took some pics of removing/ installing my clutch pedal, when I hole sawed around the sloppy/ worn hole so that

I could install/ weld in an insert I made with a roller bearing in it, for the clutch pedal rod.....all part of the plan to use bearings all over the linkage.

During this endeavor, I went ahead and replaced the pedal pivot bearings while I had it out.

I found it impossible to reconnect the spring!

I did find a rusted drilled hole in the firewall, Either it's factory, or the feller before me prior to 1991 drilled it in there.

It lined up perfect for the task (maybe what it was there for)

I gave the notch a little bit of grease to "maybe" stop the spring pivoting noises (it worked also)

I used several wraps/ loops of safety wire, hooked the spring---on the engine side, grabbed it with a big pair of vise grips.

My neighbor pulled the pliers and I guided the spring onto the end of the pedal's notch from inside.

I had him ease off and it was in place.

On the engine side, I cut the safety wire strands one at a time and snatched them out with the grips.

---JEEPFELLER
Attached Thumbnails
007.jpg   013 (2).jpg  
post #7 of 7 Old 11-04-2021, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
At ease gentlemen! Y'all need to have another cup of coffee and smell the roses if you haven't cut back the rose bush doing your fall yard maintenance. The first place I go and where anyone else has a repair question should go is to the TSM. If I can't find the answer I ask here.

I think I know what to springs you are referring to. You are asking about the spring that returns the brake pedal after you take your foot off the pedal. The second that is not shown in the TSM extract above performs the same function for the clutch pedal. Bear in mind there is one more spring in the clutch linkage that returns the clutch linkage from the clutch fork. I don't think you are asking about this one.

I've never had to replace the brake return spring so I can't help you there. The clutch pedal spring I've done and and I will say without a doubt that was the most frustrating job I ever have done to our Jeep and probably to any other mechanical device I've ever used a wrench on.

There is no instructions in the TSM nor should be normally. You just remove the old spring and replace the new one in the same place. That's the strongest small spring I've ever dealt with and laying on my back trying to see under the dash I just couldn't stretch it out enough to get it in place. Next I dropped the dash so I could get a straight in look and pull. I didn't eat enough Wheaties that day for I couldn't stretch that some beach far enough to get it in place After exhausting my entire vocabulary of profanities and throwing a few wrenches I quit for the day.

The next morning I took a small oval ring with the thing that you can tighten and most folks use the larger ones to close a loop on a length of chain. I fastened it to a short length of chain and placed it over the end of the spring and using a ratchet strap attached to the chain and a length of pipe behind the sport bar for the other end of the strap I ratcheted it in place.

For those of you here who said just grab it with some vice grips and pull you are better men than me. The spring I used came from the local 4WD store and was a Crown but wasn't made in China. If someone else makes a better one I don't want it!

Unless the spring is broken--mine was--don't mess with it. If it ain't broke don't fix it. The only reason mine broke was because something else broke and put it in a bind.

Bob out!

Bob, thanks! You nailed exactly what I was getting at with asking such a simply question. The manuals do NOT show or talk about the white knuckle busting efforts that we go through at times to get something done properly. Now a discussion is being had about that exactly. Hmmm? Every time I read the manual; whichever one I choose to read from at the time, I always think of the unexpected that must not be mentioned. For me, since this is a daily driver, I did not want to run into any issues, such as a simple spring that wouldn't give.

So, thanks for sharing your details. Now I can put a "footnote" in my manuals regarding these possible setbacks! And welcome back from the Island of Lost Love, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in