84 cj7 sway bar links bushings 2 piece or 1 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-06-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

I'm replacing my sway bar bushing. The sway bar is 15/16ths. I got moog rubber ones for the cross bar because they're rubber -less squeak and softer right. But the rubber moog ones I see for the end links uses 2 bushings in one eye instead of 1 hourglass bushing like the ones I'm taking out. So I dont know if I should use them. I read another thread that said they were the right ones and so were the poly ones that do come in the 1 piece design .
As long as metal is not rubbing metal in any condition we should be good but.....

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-06-2019, 05:28 PM
X-Army

1979 CJ5 

Replacing the hourglass-shaped bushings with 2-piece is standard practice.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-06-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Army View Post
Replacing the hourglass-shaped bushings with 2-piece is standard practice.

Interesting. Why is that ? And were all cj sway bar set ups essentially the same other than bar diameter ?

1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-06-2019, 07:48 PM
X-Army

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agear View Post
Interesting. Why is that ? And were all cj sway bar set ups essentially the same other than bar diameter ?
My guess is that only a percentage purchasers of sway bar kits will have access to a suitable pressing device or the knowledge of how to do it without damaging the new bushing.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-07-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Is it normal to have a gap in the split on the frame mounted new sway bar bushings ? I'm thinking it will soften up and will be able to be squeezed together .

post #6 of 13 Old 09-08-2019, 05:58 AM
Rsb201

1986 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Is it normal to have a gap in the split on the frame mounted new sway bar bushings ? I'm thinking it will soften up and will be able to be squeezed together .
Are you sure you ordered the correct size?? Jeep used 2 different sized bars. I found that out when I replaced all my front end parts. I ordered the wrong size and had a gap like you referenced above. As far as the hourglass bushings, you could always just replace the entire dog bone link.

1986 CJ7 4.2 Weber T176 D300
post #7 of 13 Old 09-08-2019, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsb201 View Post
Quote:
Are you sure you ordered the correct size?? Jeep used 2 different sized bars. I found that out when I replaced all my front end parts. I ordered the wrong size and had a gap like you referenced above. As far as the hourglass bushings, you could always just replace the entire dog bone link.
I thought I did but it looks like I bought the smaller size bushing. I think the 2 piece bushings fir the endlinks worked good.

post #8 of 13 Old 09-08-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

I had to order the prothane bushings to get the 15/16ths I needed.
Thank you . What kind of grease do you use for polyurethane to keep it from squeaking ?

post #9 of 13 Old 09-08-2019, 09:21 AM
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Prothane sells grease too, that's what I use on all my greasable bushings.

When I was younger, I thought I was Don Quixote... turns out I'm just another donkey-hootie.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-08-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8 View Post
Perfect ! Thanx

post #11 of 13 Old 09-10-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

I went out there and checked to see if the 2 frame mount sway bar bushings had settled in some and they did. They're getting close to being closed up. I think with some lube and some more time on the bushings they will completely close . But that's gotta be a tight fit. Do you think it will be a problem with the sway bar moving like it does ? They might wear fast being so tight but I guess if they wear down the rubber enough it could end up a good fit. It depends how it wears. Does it rub away rubber or just soften it up ? I guess the issue is it will be wearing down fast while its settling in. Even though it's a tighter fit it may shorten the life of the bushings including the end link bushings. Not a big deal because I already ordered some that are the correct size . Are there any problems with using poly bushings fir the frame bracket and rubber fir the end links ?

post #12 of 13 Old 09-12-2019, 07:26 PM
X-Army

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Same here. The Prothane kit I ordered from Amazon included all bushings, frame brackets, and a packet of their lube. My only gripe is that I had to widen the holes in the provided brackets, since my (factory) bolts were larger than their slots.

As for wearing down, I don't believe you'll see much of that with the poly bushings, especially if properly lubed. Having the gap in there is just an opening for dirt/sand to collect and act as an abrasive to break down your new bushings.

I can't imagine any issue with the link bushings being one material and the bar bushings being another, other than different longevity.
post #13 of 13 Old 09-13-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
agear
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Army View Post
Quote:
Same here. The Prothane kit I ordered from Amazon included all bushings, frame brackets, and a packet of their lube. My only gripe is that I had to widen the holes in the provided brackets, since my (factory) bolts were larger than their slots.

As for wearing down, I don't believe you'll see much of that with the poly bushings, especially if properly lubed. Having the gap in there is just an opening for dirt/sand to collect and act as an abrasive to break down your new bushings.

I can't imagine any issue with the link bushings being one material and the bar bushings being another, other than different longevity.
Okay thank you. I may just sand down the rubber ones I have and save the poly ones for later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in