‘82 F150 9” in CJ7 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By BrutusBlue
  • 1 Post By jfburriss

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-28-2020, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
jfburriss

‘82 F150 9” in CJ7

So I’m lookin to swap one in, but the pinion’s pretty offset. At least 2” to my naked eye. I’ve searched quite a bit and have only found threads on the web that either are a discussion on if folks think the offset is fine/terrible, or folks that said they run one the way it is.

Just wanted to post the question: of y’all that have run it offset, has it caused and vibes or chewed up U-joints? Does it hamper any driving @ 50mph?

I know I’m gonna get blasted or flamed- but I’m hoping to get some info to go along with it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-28-2020, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
jfburriss

😂
Attached Thumbnails
1690A332-A97A-446B-AB05-5E89E97DD729_1582949264671.jpg  
post #3 of 14 Old 02-28-2020, 10:17 PM
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

I run one in mine and it has been perfectly fine though it has the offset. Zero vibes ever and it has been up to 90 mph in my CJ. Regularly cruises long distance at 75 mph. Zero issues

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old 02-29-2020, 06:16 AM
BrutusBlue
1982 CJ7 

Your 82 Ford 9 truck axle should be more like 4” to the passenger side. If your looking at the removable third member only then it’s more like 15/16” worth of offset.

If your driveshaft will clear all components underneath then you will be fine. Your not dealing with the type of driveline angle or direction that creates vibration. Your axle shafts and pinion remain square to the leaf springs. For what your doing, twisting or changing the pinion angle to point more up or down is where you can create vibration...when you make the angle out of square.

I get what your thinking but lateral left or right movement does not make the pinion out of square. If it mattered then you could not order custom centered Ford 9 housings and get the same performance with respect to vibration as a stock uncut axle. Changing the pinion center line is a clearance or cosmetic concern.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-29-2020, 06:41 AM
BrutusBlue
1982 CJ7 

If it puts your mind more at ease...based on Tip’s pics of his build it could the exact same axle. If your shafts have the same three drilled holes on the end then your shafts are also the same 31 spline as his, unless he changed it up. One good thing about that axle is the shafts are the same length on both sides. You only need to keep one spare shaft for either end, in the unlikely event you do break a 31 spline shaft.

Edit: Are planning on staying full width?
post #6 of 14 Old 02-29-2020, 08:30 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

Hi BrutusBlue, My Ford 9" housing is stock width with OEM 31 spline axles. Haven't broken one yet (knock on wood). My front axle is a Chevy D44 with 4" cut off long side. The front axle is narrower than the rear by 2 inches total. I know, I know, everyone says the front is supposed to be a couple inches wider than the rear for better everything. Yes that is true, but I assure everyone, in real world use, it has not mattered one bit. The rear 4 link I installed would not have worked if the rear axle had been any narrower. Wouldn't have been room to fit everything. If I'd have notched the frame and gone with coil-overs I could have used a narrower rear axle, but I didn't want coil-overs.

Ok TMI, but anyhow I wanted to say another quick way to determine if it's a factory 31 spline Ford 9" is look at the t-bolts that are in the axle retainers. The nuts will be larger, an 11/16" wrench is needed to remove them. That is another way to know if it's 31 spline and that is the housing you hope to find because it uses the bigger, better axle bearings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-29-2020, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
jfburriss

To be honest, I think once I get this 9” in here (previous owner put an EB 9” in with 3” spacers) the only upgrades I’ll make might be swapping out the 44 for a 60 and upgrading the rear to 35 spline shafts. Maybe if I win the lottery I’ll buy a high 9 chunk lol

I know I’m a worry wart but I’ve always been taught that the rear - when using a cv shaft - is that it MUST be straight in line with the pinion, and be 2 degrees down. Since y’all have done this swap and have had no issues, I’m gonna press on with the truck axle.

Thanks again for all the info, and for not roasting the hell out of me. If y’all have any more pointers, please hit me up!
post #8 of 14 Old 02-29-2020, 08:42 AM
TIPPEDITOVER
No signal

1978 CJ5 

No problem. Yep, you will be fine with the offset. Doesn't matter one bit. It can be CV drive shaft (which is what I run) or regular u-joint on either end, doesn't matter. Mine runs smooth as silk and there is considerable visible offset. I've had this rear axle with the offset since 2013 and I've not had an issue eating up u-joints.

post #9 of 14 Old 02-29-2020, 09:16 AM
BrutusBlue
1982 CJ7 

I would suggest you run a double cardan (CV) driveshaft for two reasons. Based on your future plans, it sounds like a lift and big tires are in order. With that being said, pitching the pinion up (less 2 degrees) by pointing it at the TC will give you a lot more clearance for the already low slung yoke and will make your operating angle more manageable.
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-29-2020, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
jfburriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIPPEDITOVER View Post
No problem. Yep, you will be fine with the offset. Doesn't matter one bit. It can be CV drive shaft (which is what I run) or regular u-joint on either end, doesn't matter. Mine runs smooth as silk and there is considerable visible offset. I've had this rear axle with the offset since 2013 and I've not had an issue eating up u-joints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutusBlue View Post
I would suggest you run a double cardan (CV) driveshaft for two reasons. Based on your future plans, it sounds like a lift and big tires are in order. With that being said, pitching the pinion up (less 2 degrees) by pointing it at the TC will give you a lot more clearance for the already low slung yoke and will make your operating angle more manageable.
Yessir, it’s already got a CV, and is on 37’s. SOA with what looks to be 2” springs. I honestly don’t have any plans on getting insane with this thing but I reckon those are famous last words lol
post #11 of 14 Old 03-03-2020, 09:53 PM
CSP

The angle from the side to side offset is no different than the angle in the vertical plane. The driveshaft doesn't know the difference between up/down and right/left.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-04-2020, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
jfburriss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
The angle from the side to side offset is no different than the angle in the vertical plane. The driveshaft doesn't know the difference between up/down and right/left.
That was the reason for my apprehension. With the CV end at the case, the U joint would have the stress of the offset pinion. However, I know that theory can tell me that is a bad setup, but if folks like Tip (if you don’t mind me calling you that lol) are running it that way and it’s not a problem, then I’m all for it.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-01-2020, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
jfburriss

So as for an update, I went through the truck axle... new bearings, brakes, etc. set the pinion (up/down) to -1.5 degrees and it’s incredibly smooth. Not a single vibe from the driveline even up to about 65mph, and that’s only because I’ve not gotten it up past that.

Thank y’all so much for helping a brother out!!

Now I just have to install Carter fuel pump. I swear it’s always something lol
TIPPEDITOVER likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-01-2020, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
jfburriss

Also as a side note: I know I probably spent too much money for it, but Lube Locker makes a killer gasket - at least for the 9” chunk anyhow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in